X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by kompressorkev View Post
    Mexican is good in the Mission. But like with Vietnamese, Thai, or Indian food in my area, neighborhood's a bit sketch, so not sure if you want to come by at night...
    The Mission is not a sketchy neighborhood. Otherwise, all good calls. Flour + Water is excellent, though there will be a serious wait if you go. Kill the time with the cocktails in Dalva Hideout.
    Last edited by theetruscan; 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• kompressorkev
      • Dec 2006

From what I could gather, in general it's alright but certain areas around the Mission are safer than others. I haven’t lived there or visited a whole lot, just speaking off what I heard anecdotally. I have no problem being there myself at night, visiting El Faralito, Little Star, seeing movies at the Roxie (the normal kind). I'm basically living near the Tenderloin for right now, where there’s a lot of good southeast Asian food, but when recommending a place to visitors I generally think it can be helpful to give heads up about the location. Perhaps a heads up about the Mission is unwarranted, and equating it with the Tenderloin isn’t fair. My apologies if it came off as judgmental.

I haven’t been to Flour + Water yet but heard it’s very good. Thanks for the tip about Dalva Hideout, will check that out.

Also E, two more things came to mind.
      - Fatted Calf Charcuterie in Hayes Valley has some meats/pates/salumis that would go great with some bread from the Ferry Building or Tartine (after 5pm), perhaps for a nice picnic at Dolores Park (near Tartine).
      - Fog City News (maybe 1 block away from Embarcadero Bart) has a great selection of chocolate bars and some magazines as well.
      Last edited by kompressorkev; 04-18-2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Don't worry Kev, it didn't come off as judgemental at all. It's just not accurate. The tenderloin is definitely a bit of a sketchy neighborhood (with some really sketchy areas), while the mission no longer is at all. 10 years ago when I first lived there, yes. But even five years ago, it was an expensive trendy area, with the sketchiness long gone. If you go far enough out in the mission (outer mission, across Cesar Chavez then another handful of blocks) it can get sketchy, but none of the areas you would visit for food, drink, or people watching are at all sketchy anymore.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• sargon97
          • Jan 2009

Flour + water is good, but not so easy to get a table, maybe midweek its better. I'm sorta so so on Una Pizza, I think I could enjoy it more if it wasn't so hyped up. Great list though.

Originally posted by kompressorkev View Post
          Yes, was going to say Tartine! You can take the Bart towards Daly City, get off 16th and Mission, and walk a little bit to there.

A bit closer by to Embarcadero is the Ferry Building, certainly in walking distance. Boulettes Larder in the Ferry Building is a kind of a nice place for breakfast/brunch (though a bit pricey), but still very casual (not really a sit-down restaurant). 2 other things to note in the Ferry Building. For an excellent burger, try Prather Ranch's American Eatery (a takeout place), or 4505 meats kiosk (on Thursdays/Saturdays at the Farmer's Market right outside).

For a casual breakfast on Thursday or Saturday, i'd probably just grab some fruit from the Farmer's Market, some pastries from Della Fattoria (Farmer's Market kiosk on Saturdays only i think) or like sargon said Frog Hollow Farms, some jam, and some coffee (there's Blue Bottle and Peet's inside...i'm not a coffee connoisseur).

Anyway on SF generally, La Trappe for some beer and moules frites (it's in North Beach, just above downtown / chinatown. Sushi (and Japanese food in general) is not a strong point in SF, NY has much higher highs. Mexican is good in the Mission. But like with Vietnamese, Thai, or Indian food in my area, neighborhood's a bit sketch, so not sure if you want to come by at night...For pizza, i'm hearing Una Pizza Napoletana and Flour+Water (also for pasta) are great.

see you guys at Downtown tomorrow!

-------------------
          links to said places:
          Tartine, breakfast (Mission)
          Boulette's Larder, breakfast/brunch (Ferry Building) + menu
          Prather Ranch American Eatery, burger (Ferry Building)
          4505 Meats, burger (Ferry Building Farmer's Market)
          Della Fattoria, pastries (Ferry Building Farmer's Market)
          Frog Hollow Farm, pastries (Ferry Building)
          La Trappe, BEER + pub food (North Beach)
          Una Pizza Napoletana, pizza (SOMA)
          Flour + Water, pasta + pizza (Mission)

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Hey all,

I am at downtown. Come say hi.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
              Don't worry Kev, it didn't come off as judgemental at all. It's just not accurate. The tenderloin is definitely a bit of a sketchy neighborhood (with some really sketchy areas), while the mission no longer is at all. 10 years ago when I first lived there, yes. But even five years ago, it was an expensive trendy area, with the sketchiness long gone. If you go far enough out in the mission (outer mission, across Cesar Chavez then another handful of blocks) it can get sketchy, but none of the areas you would visit for food, drink, or people watching are at all sketchy anymore.
              ummmm the mission is and always will be turf for certain subgroups no matter how many pour over coffee joints open. the chances of something happening are slim but as long as guys called "trigger" still roam those streets i would be on alert while i go there. anyway read the comments in this article from 2011: http://missionlocal.org/2011/02/shoo...and-mission-3/ there's still a war going on. all this takes place on 16th and 17th and mission.
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• kunk75
                Banned
                • May 2008

dottie's is the best breakfast place in san fran IMO. get there early

Comment

• darkbydesign
                  • Sep 2010

Go to the free Fire Poi Exhibition in Union Square tonight. It's always awesome! Starts at 7:50 by Temple of Poi.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I'm back home. It was a wonderful visit. I love SF and I was happy to meet a couple of SZers. I wished more of you had come.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkbydesign
                      • Sep 2010

^^Yes. I, for one, am sorry that I did not show. It's my last few days at work so it's all about spontaneous "going away parties". I'll hopefully meet you and more SZr's in Manhattan.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

My experiences from the recent trip:

HIT:
                        Blue Bottle coffee. Good. I still think it's overpriced, but whatever, the end result is that they make a stellar cup of drip coffee.

Cafe Zuni - delicious, laid back, pretty space. Had a great meal and a good conversation there with theetruscan and kompressorkev.

Akiko's - tasty and fresh sushi in a great, skilfully run-down decor.

Frog Hallow Farm - fantastic breakfast and coffee.

Boulette's Larder - absolutely delicious breakfast though really overpriced.

SKIP:

Philz coffee - was completely without character from the coffee to the space. Blue Bottle was by better by a mile (much better than their Williamsburg outpost, I must say).

Om Shanti Teahouse - horrible experience from A to Z. Bland food (their avocado sandwich was two slices of white bread and half of sliced avocado on the side, and their pu erh must the be Lipton of Chinese tea), clueless staff, pretentious decor. Everything just screamed fake.

Overall, San Fran definitely blows away anything in the US in terms of fresh honest food. Will be back again.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• comedyzen
                          • May 2009

Sweet!! Found/bought some Stumptown beans at Rainbow Grocery.

Comment

• Urthwhyte
                            • Oct 2011

Moving to Mountain View for a few months in just over a week and hoping someone here could recommend any popular fringe theatre venues in the city. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

Been reading online a lot... what do locals consider the best ramen place for tonkotsu ramen in SF?
                              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• comedyzen
                                • May 2009

^In the city, there is nothing good. Drive 20 minutes out and go to:

4084 reviews and 3978 photos of Ramen Dojo "Having eaten here now, I'm pretty psyched on it. If you like spicy food (I do), not too much reason to go to Santa any more (unless you just need that stewed pork.) All the ramen flavors are 8.95, and come with a pretty decent selection of toppings. I'd say the value is pretty good. Except for the drinks. A can of Calpico or iced coffee is 3.50! I know restaurants make their money on drinks, but that's some pretty big markup. I'll be sticking to water. All of the ramen includes "chicken gravy", which they spell out the ingredient list for on the menu. It's pretty good...you'll notice bits of ground chicken in your ramen. I think this makes up for the absence of a meat option besides roast pork (although it would have been nice if they brought back the chicken karaage like at the original Santa at this location.) Out of the three broth options, I played it safe and got the soy sauce flavor. The "spicy bitter pork" broth seemed like a wild card to me, but after trying a spoonful of a friend's, I'd order it next time. Both were pretty tasty. Juding by what "medium" spicy was, unless you really want to over power the flavor with spice, I'd recommend sticking with medium, at least your first time. In summary...awesome. Although it was temping to write the opposite, since the lack of any appreciable line was pretty nice. I'm sure that'll change. Note - Have to agree with Kenric on the "throne workout" post ramen, but you know what they say, "no pain, no gain.""

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎