• Show
Clear All
  • MetroBulotDodo
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
    First waywt pic ever.

MA+ deerskin reversible shirt
    LUC wrong tension buffalo J-pants
    CCP stick (no bread and no trousers at that time)
    Not shown : carpe diem clogs with oak soles
    You know how when you write LOL, one rarely is literally LOLing? (Just on the inside?) Well, I just had an amazing, classy moment where I was spraying tea all over my monitor, after which I had to rest my forehead on the table so that I would not choke.

I would love a parody thread.

-MBD

also, i can't believe that Acephalé has that engraved stuff on the LoTR ring as his signature...
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Acéphale
      • Apr 2010

/\ lotr?

no, it's socrates from plato's apology

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
      also, i can't believe that Acephalé has that engraved stuff on the LoTR ring as his signature...
      ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
        • Oct 2010

Acéphale,

I'm sorry. That was a terrible joke on my part.

Of course, I do know that the phrase is important to the foundation of Platonism, in particular to the understanding of what Plato meant by the "Platonic ideal" and his theories of truth, abstraction and forms.

Rest assured, I mean no harm. The whole thread was so funny, I couldn't resist.

-MBD
        Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 12-07-2010, 09:07 AM. Reason: typo, neurosis

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

lol MBD i love your attitude as displayed through your online textual cadence, it has such a 'pop' to it
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• OkbutNo
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
            Acéphale,

I'm sorry. That was a terrible joke on my part.

Of course, I do know that the phrase is important to the foundation of Platonism, in particular to the understanding of what Plato meant by the "Platonic ideal" and his theories of truth, abstraction and forms.

Rest assured, I mean no harm. The whole thread was so funny, I couldn't resist.

-MBD
            Well, that's not back tracking at all.

Now, I wouldn't finally register just to point something like that out, but since the rest of your post represents what I see as a fairly fundamental misunderstanding of what's occurring in the quote you identified as lord of the rings (and Ancient Greek philosophy is fairly close to my heart), I just had to say something. No, you weren't making a joke. Plato, through Socrates, isn't exactly talking about the Forms or Absolute Truth, its from the Apology, as was pointed out, and Socrates is defending his teaching style from accusation by the people of Athens. As in, he explains that he can't be teaching the youth poisonous ideas if he isn't teaching anything in the first place. He says he knows nothing so he asks questions, requiring clarification of the ideas postulated by those he's talking to, until etc and so forth, basic socratic dialectic shit.

And yeah, maybe not the most important thing to comment on, but jeez just admit that you mistook greek text for lotr or something. I don't even doubt you've heard the quote before but that's a lot more graceful than a hamfisted, "no guys i totally know whats going on I was just joking when I said something that wasn't even funny in the context of the thread!"

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

and this particular internet forum quarrel cannot exist without an "oh no u di int" tyra gif

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merz

(a pictograph representing keen interest in the forthcoming retort and consequence.)

this is, after all, a forum. on the internet.
                Or, the oft-preferred.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• doldrums
                  • Dec 2008

Or my running favorite:

I LoVE It wHeN MuGZ be geTTIng all DiALectiCal and shit...

Comment

• marco-von
                    • Feb 2009

as i read on....

the internet punch was parried by an unknown cause

this shit just got real.

Comment

• Monty76
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                      i have no idea how it started so i won't speculate on fausts passions and personal motivations but in a practical sense it feels like it was created as a rejection to TFS and the like. an alternative i guess.

this is a total guess so no offense intended
                      I don't remember the exact circumstances but this guess may be more correct then even you intended it to be.

Comment

• morsto
                        • Nov 2008

Okbutno, that was (truthfully) a very good first post.
                        I do not recognise the vessel,
                        but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by OkbutNo View Post

And yeah, maybe not the most important thing to comment on, but jeez just admit that you mistook greek text for lotr or something. I don't even doubt you've heard the quote before but that's a lot more graceful than a hamfisted, "no guys i totally know whats going on I was just joking when I said something that wasn't even funny in the context of the thread!"
                          As my experience on SZ accumulates, I grow more confident that when the day comes to depart, I will have departed with a new and deep appreciation for -- if nothing else -- the expressive and gestural brilliance that is a timely delivered face palm.

Perhaps arguing about ancient Greek on fashion forums is the new thanatopolitics? Discuss.

MBD

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

everybody facepalms, why would u depart?
                            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• michael_kard
                              • Oct 2010

εν οιδα οτι ουδεν οιδα is not a direct quote from plato's apology, more like a concentrated paraphrase.

i know one [thing], that i know nothing
                              is its exact meaning. there's not much to discuss beyond that... i think its pretty clear
                              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Chant
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
                                εν οιδα οτι ουδεν οιδα is not a direct quote from plato's apology, more like a concentrated paraphrase.

i know one [thing], that i know nothing
                                is its exact meaning. there's not much to discuss beyond that... i think its pretty clear
                                It's a formal paradox (if you know that you know nothing, then you know at least one thing, and you can't say that you know nothing anymore), so, no, it is not clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎