Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jogu
    • Jun 2009

i just mailed some stuff to this place to be dyed , will post again when i get them shipped back after theyre done . customer service part was great , so far so good but they did call me when they got it to warn me even tho its 100% cotton theres still a chance it wont come out as black as i want

Comment

• Wiggles
      • Sep 2008

any dye recommendations for dying linen? i have an ann knit that i may want to turn black.

Comment

• mortalveneer
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by lost53 View Post
        My light blue scarf, is now a deep, rich and beautiful blue... I wanted it black!
        The packet said black.. must I do it again? Does anyone have experience with this? I used the Dylon hand wash (velvet black), and because it was only one light garment the I used less water (thinking the mixture should be more concentrated) than the pack suggested.

I must say that the scarf was a super soft cotton cashmere mix, and it appears that the fabric is just as soft with a lovely sheen as before.
        This could also be due to the cotton being treated somehow; I tried dyeing a pair of sanforized jeans and they came out deep blue. I did it twice to no avail...
        I am not who you think I am

Comment

• BrettChaotix
          • Nov 2007

I just wanted to say thanks for the product recommendations in this thread. I spilled something on my green SILENT beanie and it now has a stain that looks almost like a bleach stain. I just ordered Procion MX #150 and I'll give that a try since I'd rather it be black anyway. Hopefully the stain doesn't dye a different shade than the rest of the beanie.

One question though - will I have to worry about the dye bleeding at all if I wear the beanie and sweat a bit? I'd hate to wind up with a black headband.

Comment

• jogu
            • Jun 2009

i used this place in nyc called metro dyein , got my stuff back that i sent to be dyed black and i like it alot . cs was good they called me soon as they got my stuff and went over each garment and told me the risks i was like cool cool . when it shipped back out to me they emailed the fedex trackin and i like the results alot . some of the material is extremely fuckin dense and heavy and those things came out like 95% black w / vague hints of the original blue but if u didnt kno it used to be blue ud prol never guess it was dyed a dif color .
            for anyone else not in nyc who cant find a place that dyes ur stuff black u should check these guys out

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Wiggles View Post
              any dye recommendations for dying linen? i have an ann knit that i may want to turn black.
              dyes that work on cotton should work on linen as well, both being natural fibres. I've used Dylon dyes for linen and worked just fine.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• comedyzen
                • May 2009

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                Big fan of dylon machine wash dye and have used it on many many items.....ma+ jeans, VA pants, numerous tops. Such a great product.
                I actually experiment a bit with the different colours and mix them.
                I have used the antique grey many times and highly recommend it for a good dark grey colour.
                ..... usually find half a sachet gives the best colour without it being too matt/uniform.
                Also used 50% blue / 50% grey for a good mix.
                I was reading up on Dylon. My only concern is the residue after you run the dye in the machine and that it will bleed onto my clothes in subsequent washes. It says to run washer post dye job with detergent. Did that do the trick, did all the dye wash out of the machine?

Comment

• KM80
                  • Mar 2008

I've dyed many things with this stuff: http://www.maiwa.com/pdf/procion_mx.pdf

Mixed results, some advice would be patience and following the instructions closely.

I've always thrown too many things into the dye batch method, the lighter stuff just came out as an unevenly dyed dark green. Then I did 1 part navy and 3 parts black with the batch dye method which gave me a deep black that worked out great to match the black on a pair of LUC pants I needed to dye a portion of. I think the dye bath method would work fine for black if you are following the instructions closely as far as fabric weight etc.. and do the 1 part navy thing.

Comment

• gnow
                    • Jun 2010

dying a blazer / jacket

Would it be any different to dye a blazer / jacket? Particularly the lining and stitching?

Comment

• killah
                      • Jun 2009

whats the material? proxion works best on cotton linen n rayon. the jacquard acid dye works well with wool and some nylons. the dye pretty much reacted with all the stitching, lining, n comparments of this 100% cotton jacket i got (assumin the stitching was also cotton).

Comment

• Patroklus
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
                        This could also be due to the cotton being treated somehow; I tried dyeing a pair of sanforized jeans and they came out deep blue. I did it twice to no avail...
                        Sanforization is a physical treatment. In all likelihood however you dyed the jeans probably wasn't adequate.

I've heard that you can make a killer black dye by soaking something ferrous, like steel wool or nails, in water until they rust and deteriorate and using the strained mixture as a dye. I haven't confirmed this, I'm just sharing.

Comment

• gnow
                          • Jun 2010

@killah, thanks. I'll consider that option.

I'm guessing dying a jacket/blazer is pretty much the same as dying a tee?

The blazer I'm planning to dye is 100% cotton.

Originally posted by killah View Post
                          whats the material? proxion works best on cotton linen n rayon. the jacquard acid dye works well with wool and some nylons. the dye pretty much reacted with all the stitching, lining, n comparments of this 100% cotton jacket i got (assumin the stitching was also cotton).

Comment

• soulshui
                            • Nov 2011

hey sz, in regard to diy dying by Dylon- is it mandatory that I need to use the salt that they offer? will the result differ if I chose to use a regular salt in my kitchen? To add to that, did an additional amount of salt did really help added the boldness of the colors? thank you in advance! will be waiting for the reply from any experience member who work with this product before. thanks again!

Comment

• shuit
                              • Apr 2012

is wool dyeable? did any of you have any experience dying them before? I asked 3 people and 2 of them said that it is not okay to dye the wool material. Regardless, I will still give it a try since I really need my pants to be total black. I will be posting the result afterward.

Comment

• beardown
                                rekoner
                                • Feb 2009

It depends on what kind of treatment the wool has undergone in terms of weaving. Wool is an expensive material because it can be really dense and with that density, you get warmth and you get water resistance in certain conditions.

So, having said that, here's what you need to know about even trying to dye wool.

You need heat. Extreme heat. That heat is going to make sure that the dye is accepted by the wool. I would also recommend soaking it in vinegar, which will also help it absorb the dye during the process.

I'm talking about heat from a stovetop in a large pot for true, consistent results.

Actually, I just googled it and here's a much better description and step-by-step. Keep in mind it's going to shrink the pants pretty significantly.
                                Originally posted by mizzar
                                Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎