X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diamonds
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by swims View Post
    moleskin is just a cotton weave; i used some dylon washing machine dye while back on moleskin and it turned out really well.
    thanks! i was afraid the moleskin would change in appearance if i washed or dyed it.

Comment

• Nomad_
      • Jul 2012

I tried dyeing my laine wool yohji sarouels a while back with no success at all, but after reading this thread I think I'll maybe give it another shot, thanks for the all the info guys

Comment

• itch-bay
        • Jun 2012

hey have a pair of jeans 98% cotton 2% pu. i need to dye them black any suggestions? they are a light color right now

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

well the polyurethane / spandex is synthetic, so it won't absorb the dye. since its only two percent, you may have a chance of dyeing them but its possible the material won't absorb it as well and you'll end up with either a lighter colour / somewhere between the original and desired colour, or an uneven result.

if it was a mild change it would be less risky (for example dark grey to black), but if its a really light colour, its possible it'll end up some sort of dark grey. Also, its likely that the stitching is also synthetic, so if its light as well, it will stay so.

if you decide to try, I would use a good amount of dye and salt. if you use something like Dylon, the temperature needs to be at least 40C for it to work. some stretch fabric may require cold washing or 30C, but personally I've washed such garments in 40C as well without any problems. 50-60C can harm the material.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• springsummer1993
            • Aug 2012

i have a black shirt (100% cotton) but it's pretty faded from being at least a decade old. i'd like to think that if i wore it in a business environment, suppose an interview, it wouldn't go down to well. got a pack of that dylon velvet black dye and i intend to use it on this shirt. i don't want to achieve jet blackness though, just a bit more black to breathe some new life into it so i'd probably only use half a pack in the washing machine.

should i be worried that it'd come out uneven?
            live for conflict / die for heaven

Comment

• swims
              • Jan 2012

i think it should be ok, but one thing to bear in mind is that without the correct amount of dye the colour may not fully saturate, giving the shirt a blue tone (dylon black is a very, very dark blue).

Comment

• lazyguru
                • Jun 2008

DYEING techniques ( specifically undyed seams)

I realize that dyeing is an art & such but is there a specific technique to how LUC gets his pitch black pants to have a texture to them but more importantly how to retain the original un-dyed color at the seams.

I know cold dyeing might reproduce this but its impossible to get true blacks that way.

Maybe he uses a dye resist along all the seams?

I know Zamb has made pants with a similar effect but the effect is very apparent whilst Luca's is very subtle & only shows when the garment is stretched

Almost like its painted on

EG :[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• k3mist
                  • Apr 2013

could be wrong but i believe when the garment is done sewing, it is 'object dyed' and the seams dont take up the color naturally. might be more obvious when the fabric is of a heavy weight. so the dye resist is natural and doubt theres any tape or whatever.

the longer you soak the less obvious the seams become and as for the color/texture its probably the specific dye itself in combination with the fabric

Comment

• 550BC
                    • Jan 2013

If you like dyed wool experiments and garments, check out the work of Biek Verstappen and Claudy Jongstra
                    a fish out of water dies

Comment

• lazyguru
                      • Jun 2008

Thanks for your input K3mist , Yeah 550bc iam well aware of claudy's work and adore it.
                      Would love to hear from anyone elses experience with dyeing cold hot or otherwise.

Comment

• Null12
                        • Oct 2013

Of those of you guys/girls who had success with Dylon Velvet Black. Were you using the machine type or hand dye packets?

If anyone used the hand dye, how many did you use per item?

Trying to put some black magic back into some Drkshdw poplin skirt shorts.

Comment

• Piffen
                          • Aug 2007

I've used Nitor to dye a pair of those DRKSHDW poplin skirted shorts back to black.. Works alright. I put them in the washer, 1 kg of salt and temp set to 60 degrees. In my experience Dylon works just as well.

Comment

• Null12
                            • Oct 2013

Thanks Piffen, good to know!

I was actually at a hobby lobby this morning looking for a rotary cutter and to my surprise I found a small selection of Dylon Hand dye packets.

Comment

• Lois Grüveltner
                              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Null12 View Post
                              Of those of you guys/girls who had success with Dylon Velvet Black. Were you using the machine type or hand dye packets?

If anyone used the hand dye, how many did you use per item?

Trying to put some black magic back into some Drkshdw poplin skirt shorts.
                              I use the machine type and it works fine, but to achieve the best result I only dye one thing at a time. Last week I dyed a pair of faded black Rick basket swingers black again. IMO the machine kind works better!

Comment

• Null12
                                • Oct 2013

Yeah, one item at a time is what I would of guessed for best results.

Noted about the machine type.

I am curious now, I see you mentioned "again," did you do multiple dye runs back to back or did you mean after a while of use?

I went ahead and purchased a "Rit" 8 oz. liquid bottle to dye some light weight cotton fabric to test that out as well. Going to get a nice cauldron as well to go ahead and summon colours outside...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎