• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aleks
    • Feb 2009

Fur, I need help sourcing some.

Hello,

I am looking for some fur for my graduate collection. It's for a couple collars and one coat. I've been looking for monkey or goat fur, however something with a long nap would be perfectly fine. My first Idea is to source old jackets on ebay and use the fur there, however it's become increasingly difficult to get the more exotic fur. If anyone know where I can get some it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
  • ironman
    • Apr 2008

dunno if it's out of your price range (i recall it being kinda expensive), but SAGA furs provides furs for a lot of designers. you can see who on their main page somewhere they have a catwalk gallery or something

Saga Furs is the full service auction house with the broadest selection of superior furs from strictly regulated European sources.

the "SAMPLES" section used to be small amounts like for collars but it seems to be empty/non-existant now. you can always e-mail/call them to see if they can help you

they have different colours and grades of these 3 animals though i could've sworn there were more

hope this helps

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
      • Mar 2009

I was about to post the same thing. They do offer sponsorships for students. I had some old class mates who secured a sponsorship with them. They flew them out to their factory for 3-5 days and taught them various shaving/cutting techniques and dying processes, as well as letting them have their pic of pelts.
      Write to them, and i think they may ask you to put together a small booklet with some of your designs, etc etc.
      merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• eat me
        • May 2009

Fur companies often offer their stuff to use for free in colleges. We've had that at my uni (and SHYE's ;)).

But perhaps I can ask you to consider using faux? Or at least find out if their furs are a by-product of meat industry (which is very doubtful in case of monkey fur)?

Think about it, please.

Comment

• eat me
          • May 2009

Fur companies often offer their stuff to use for free in colleges. We've had that at my uni (and SHYE's ;)).

But perhaps I can ask you to consider using faux? Or at least find out if their furs are a by-product of meat industry (which is very doubtful in case of monkey fur)?

Think about it, please.

Comment

• Yan
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by eat me View Post

Think about it, please.
            There is a place called Empees Silk Fabrics on Commercial Road in Tottenham, North London, that has an extremely large faux fur room and has plenty of choice, colour and quality wise. They sell by the metre (10 min) and by the roll. Either way, it's heavily discounted and reasonable.

Comment

• Aleks
              • Feb 2009

Thanks for all the help everyone,
              I inquired with saga.

However I do not believe that I can use faux fur.Thank you for the suggestion, that place does sound impressive Yan.

Comment

• apathy!
                • Jan 2014

(I'm back :))) )

Can anyone give an account of whether the difference in price between something like fox, and mink amounts to much of a difference in feel/quality?

I would also really appreciate if anyone had tips of getting access to pelts. It seems as though the industry is mostly geared towards wholesale orders for companies that produce coats/home decor.

The idea here is to partially line a rick hoodie with black fur. That may seem perverse to you, but there it is.

Thanks

Comment

• zen dog
                  • Jan 2014

I'm not going to encourage purchasing either of these new. I can give you a direction that will not further that trade and actually serve you better- vintage. You don't need much and I would recommend finding a vintage clothing shop to see/feel what you like. Also, talking to the owner may lead you to getting a good price on a damaged piece with enough material for your needs.

If the shop is good it will lead you pieces that don't have dried out skins- if you run your hand against the fur's direction and fur comes off in your hand, its dry and nothing you can do to bring it back. Fox is usually a longer hair and mink is usually shorter- think matrons with those dead, whole creatures draped around their shoulders (those shouldn't be hard to find).

Comment

• apathy!
                    • Jan 2014

I appreciate the advice. There are no black vintage furs in my area in the stores that I know of.

I may end taking the ethical fur route (possum).

Would still appreciate other replies to my original post though.

Comment

• applecrisp
                      • Jun 2013

apathy!, where are you located?

If in NYC I'd suggest contacting Marvin at Fox Unlimited. I used to source fox, coyote, raccoon and rabbit from him and he's got all types of other fur in addition to those. He does wholesale but also retail. His wholesale orders are usually relatively small anyway, so he will probably take a smaller order.

And his office/storage room is awesome. It's all kept in a bank vault.

He was old when I was working with him, so I'm not sure if he's still around, but the company should be anyway. Good luck!

Comment

• apathy!
                        • Jan 2014

Hey thanks applecrisp.

Not in NY unfortunately.

Will post back in this thread when I've sorted something.

Comment

• zen dog
                          • Jan 2014

Hi again apathy! I couldn't resist googling "dying fur" and "organicdye.com" came up (sorry for no link, browser prob.) It looks doable.

I'm sure its just me, but I like the challenge of learning new skills- most I may never use again but I've gained an understanding of materials and added to my "toolbox."

Hope this adds to your options.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎