X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ochre
    • Sep 2009

Minimalism and Fashion [Book]

Written by Elyssa Dimant (from the Met). I just received this in the mail after waiting three weeks thanks to a terrible shipping ordeal. It really is an incredible book: beautifully printed and bound and very comprehensive in scope.

I would recommend it for anyone who has an interest in contextualizing fashion within the greater disciplines of art and design. But I can let the NYT review speak for itself:

"Consumers have had plenty of reasons to meditate on the new wave of minimalist fashion now in stores, namely to decide if a simple camel coat — as all the magazines suggested — is the right look for them this fall. As a trend, minimalism seemed to come out of left field this season, ubiquitous on the runways for no better reason than, well, Phoebe Philo is doing it, so it must be right.

Elyssa Dimant, a fashion historian and a former research associate at the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, decided to look a bit further into the subject in her substantive new book, “Minimalism and Fashion: Reduction in the Postmodern Era” (Collins Design). Ms. Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looked at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design, noting some surprising correlations along the way. One of the most intriguing aspects of her book is the juxtaposition of runway looks with art and sculpture, such as an organic piece by Zaha Hadid and Patrik Schumacher opposite dresses from an unrelated resort collection by the Calvin Klein designer Francisco Costa, or a Richard Serra installation of curling metal plates next to Hussein Chalayan’s coffee-table dress from 2000.

Mr. Costa wrote in the foreward of the book that the vocabulary of minimalism is indeed similar to that of architecture, noting, “The starkness of the minimal design is not a rejection but instead an opportunity to understand and celebrate the purity of form.” The cover of the book shows an image of a black coat from Mr. Costa’s fall 2008 collection, photographed for a Calvin Klein advertising campaign.

“People see in minimalism the simplicity and the reduction,” Ms. Dimant said in an interview. “The basic-ness is easily understood, but the thinking behind it and the intention are not as well known.”

Ms. Dimant said she was surprised by how deeply the roots of minimalism in fashion extended, to Madeleine Vionnet and Paul Poiret in the early part of the 20th century, and to the influence of Constructivist painting on André Courrèges and Pierre Cardin in the 1960s. Looking at the latest examples, she said, we have simply reached an apogee of a trend that has been developing for a few years. But the timing was noteworthy, she added, because it happened in the first decade of a new century, when designers are likely looking toward the future, “and futurism and minimalism are intrinsically linked.”
    Anyway, I'm making this thread because I intend to scan a lot of the imagery and post it here for those interested. I won't have much time to do it immediately as I'm in the final week of my semester but here is a single spread for the time being to give you a sense of the structure:

this seems very interesting, been thinking along these areas myself lately.

Comment

Now I know what I would like for Christmas... Thanks for posting this!

Comment

• DmD
        • Jul 2010

Indeed, that looks interesting. There seems to be more of an interest in all things minimal these days.

This is another book I saw recently.

Comment

• Ochre
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DmD View Post
          Indeed, that looks interesting. There seems to be more of an interest in all things minimal these days.

This is another book I saw recently.
          I agree that it seems there is a huge resurgence in minimalist-appreciation (or appropriation) . I believe a large part of it is people subconsciously associating with this new notion of a utopian life which is more environmentally friend, living within one's means, and ultimately, simplified. People are beginning to see the merit in simplicity as a vehicle for supreme clarity and honesty. Of course, this book goes far more deep than any artificial appreciation for the aesthetics.

I have to post the forward by Francisco Costa (creative director of Clavin Klein) It is a nice articulation of what it means and feels like to achieve a minimalist aesthetic.

Comment

• Ochre
            • Sep 2009

Forward by Francisco Costa, creative director of Calvin Klein

Claes Oldenburg Braselette, 1961

Helmut Lang, S/S '04 (left) Comme des Garcons S/S 08 (right)

Comment

• DmD
              • Jul 2010

Ochre, thanks for sharing that forward. I'll have to check out that book.

I found the following line interesting:
              Minimalist styles do not need to be restrictive, and should, in fact be liberating.
              While minimalist styles may not be restrictive in the general sense, they certainly are in the specific. Many minimalist designs are the result of restrictions in material, shapes and form.

I'm interested in minimalist fashion as it relates to a broader context. For me minimalism is an attitude or a way of looking at the world, a way of trying to maintain a higher signal to noise ratio, an attempt at maximum expressivity through minimum expression.

From "Minimalisms" by Zabalbeauscoa & Marcos:

In and era dripping with images, forms and sounds, to reduce, purge, or filter ends up being the most eloquent gesture.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ Interesting. I suppose I must bring this essay up again by Adolf Loos from 1908. This is a striking quote, "Lack of ornamentation is a sign of intellectual strength."

I wonder if there is something German about minimalism - with Jil Sander and Helmut Lang being its two prime examples.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ochre
                  • Sep 2009

Ornament and Crime is certainly one of the seminal Minimalist essays out there, Loos being one of its earliest definitive proponents. It saddens me so much when he falls into such classist and elitist attitudes, however, throughout the book.

My shoes are covered with decoration formed by sawtooth patterns and holes. Work done by the shoemaker, work he has not been paid for. Imagine I go to the shoemaker and say, 'You charge thirty crowns for a pair of shoes. I will pay you forty-eight.' It will raise the man to such a transport of delight he will thank me through his workmanship and the material used, making them of a quality that will far outweigh my extra payment. He is happy, and happiness is a rare commodity in his house. He has found someone who understands him, who respects his work, and does not doubt his honesty. He can already see the finished shoes in his mind's eye. He knows where the best leather is to be found at the moment, he knows which of his workers he will entrust with the task, and the shoes will have all the sawtooth patterns and holes an elegant pair of shoes can take. And then I say, 'But there is one condition. The shoes must be completely plain.' I will drag him down from the heights of bliss to the depths of hell. He will have less work, and I have taken away all his pleasure in it.
                  The ideal I preach is the aristocrat. I can accept decoration on my own person if it brings pleasure to my fellow men. It brings pleasure to me, too. I can accept the African's ornament, the Persian's, the Slovak peasant woman's, my shoemaker's, for it provides the hight point of their existence, which they have no other means of achieving. We have the art that has superseded ornament. After all the toil and tribulations of the day, we can go to hear Beethoven or Tristan. My shoemaker cannot. I must not take his religion from him, for I have nothing to put in its place. But anyone who goes to the Ninth and then sits down to design a wallpaper pattern is either a fraud or a degenerate.
                  That being said, Loos's theory that a minimalist aesthetic — one stripped of senseless ornament — is the only means of cultural advancement is/was incredibly novel, especially at the turn of the century. I have to give him a lot of credit for being so bold.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Of course - he was writing a hundred years ago as a Hapsburg empire citizen. We can disregard that, I think, for the purpose of this discussion.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ochre
                      • Sep 2009

David Bailey Queen (Photograph), 1964

Frank Stella Tuxedo Park, Black Series II 1967

Written excerpt

Comment

• Ochre
                        • Sep 2009

Hussein Chalayan F/W 1998-99

Sol LeWitt Muybridge I, 1964

Eleanor Antin Carving: A Traditional Sculpture, 1973

Comment

• Ochre
                          • Sep 2009

Terry Winters, Untitled, 1989

Yohji Yamamoto, F/W 2006-07

Cape: Bonnie Cashin, Fall 1966; Photograph: Francesco Scavullo, Harper's Bazaar, August 1966

Fashion plate, Eduardo Garcia Benito, "L'heure du the," La Gazette du bon ton, 1920

Hussein Chalayan, Before Minus Now collection, S/S 2000

Naoki Takizawa for Issey Miyake, F/W 2000-01

Yohji Yamamoto, F/W 2001-02; Photograph: Nathaniel Goldberg, Numero, October 2001

Martin Margiela, F/W 1997-98

Richard Serra, Scrap Sculpture for LACMA Art and Technology Project, 1969

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I am beginning to be confused by their definition of minimalism. Looks like maybe they needed to fill a certain number of pages.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ochre
                              • Sep 2009

The definition is admittedly very broad. I believe they're searching for relationships not only formally but conceptually as well. Something can have a very simple and direct concept yet the visual could seem chaotic or exuberant.

Are you questioning one thing most in particular? I could go into the text and copy it here to see if their explanation would convince you.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎