X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kunk75
    Banned
    • May 2008

sz works very well on mobile, see no reason to add the app, cannot imagine why an app would outperform or provide something better.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Well, it would allow to read the posts and write replies, browse, see new posts, search, see PMs more easily, instead of using your internet browser, which is quite annoying. Bandwidth/storage permitting, maybe you'd be even able to snap a photo on the phone and upload it to the forums. Things like that. Here is a sample of generic screenshots. But it would all be in the current SZ skin.

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

....p.s., most of the ajax driven mobile sites suck ass...

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Really? I constantly have to zoom in/out, and click the wrong buttons when several are close together (like in notifications menu).
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
          Banned
          • May 2008

i have a g2 phone and have no issues, ipad works well too. for some reasons, checking pm's is a bitch because the script seems to be running off, but that aside, no issues...

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

If users would be willing to spend the $2-5 to add the app which would allow coverage of the development cost then it's almost a non-issue to develop a SZ iphone app.

The ability to post images directly through the phone is something that could potentially change many threads and sections of SZ. Heirloom touched on this. Not only would WAYWT change but sections such as good finds, sales threads, help looking for as well as things such as new arrivals/showroom images and possibly even faster images from shows and presentations could be brought about. This would change SZ and potentially make it an even more valuable resource both for consumers, people in the industry etc.

Agreed on the difficulty touching the right buttons or page number when perusing on the iphone as well.
            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• BeauIXI
              • Nov 2008

Maybe a mobile-friendly site would be cheaper and less hassle, as opposed to an app? Of course, then there would actually have to be fundraising before anything got built...
              Originally posted by philip nod
              somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• loveless
                • Feb 2007

id go for an out of the box solution like tapatalk. delving in to mobile app dev can be costly unless you can find a developer who has large amount of code that can be reused.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                  • Nov 2008

^ That would be a killer option for an app developer... To make a V-Bulletin replacing framework, then offer all the forums the option.
                  Originally posted by philip nod
                  somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• DRRRK
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                    Maybe a mobile-friendly site would be cheaper and less hassle, as opposed to an app? Of course, then there would actually have to be fundraising before anything got built...
                    Good idea. Give me the donation button.

There are some great ideas for the future of SZ, but they are mostly for buying, selling, showing themselves. This is already a large part of SZ and would probably get even bigger with an emphasis on this aspect by an app. If you ask me, I don't want to see more phone pics or hastily assembled sale threads.

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                      sz works very well on mobile, see no reason to add the app, cannot imagine why an app would outperform or provide something better.
                      based on my personal experience I would have to agree with this. I've used SZ pretty extensively on my Android phone and have done everything from posting, PM's to moderating activities without problems. I had an iPhone 3G before and I recall it working fine as well, so I don't see a need for an app.

That said, if people are willing to pay for it and it would actually cover all development costs, why not?
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Ivans On High
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2008

I find that the PM drop down button doesn't work on my iPhone4. I have to press it a million times before the options show up. Same goes for when I click on a users name to send them a PM for instance.

It's not the end of the world but can be frustrating. I would gladly pay for an app.

Comment

• nictan
                          • Jul 2009

^ the drop-down doesnt work for me too.

Comment

• kunk75
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

well, i couldn't access my pms by mobile today....:)

anyway, if it functioned like a desktop widget and worked outside the auspices of the browser experience, it could be cool.

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                            based on my personal experience I would have to agree with this. I've used SZ pretty extensively on my Android phone and have done everything from posting, PM's to moderating activities without problems. I had an iPhone 3G before and I recall it working fine as well, so I don't see a need for an app.

That said, if people are willing to pay for it and it would actually cover all development costs, why not?

Comment

• tgadd
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by resonaut View Post
                              I was just explaining how it would be harder to recoup the money (spent on Android development costs) through an Android app.
                              If the app was developed in Adobe AIR it could be packaged and published on both platforms with the same code - no duplicated development at all.

Comment

• resonaut
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by tgadd View Post
                                If the app was developed in Adobe AIR it could be packaged and published on both platforms with the same code - no duplicated development at all.
                                That's a good idea. I haven't looked into it enough considering it's pretty new (Adobe gave up on packager for iPhone until a couple of months ago while the Android side of things was in private beta).

Do you know of any examples developed this way that are out on the App Store/Market?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎