View Poll Results: Would you buy a dedicated SZ iPhone app for $X.XX? Check all that apply.

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • $1.99

36 63.16%
  • $2.99

34 59.65%
  • $3.99

22 38.60%
  • $4.99

29 50.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: StyleZeitgeist iPhone App

Maybe a mobile-friendly site would be cheaper and less hassle, as opposed to an app? Of course, then there would actually have to be fundraising before anything got built...
    Quote Originally Posted by philip nod View Post
    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

id go for an out of the box solution like tapatalk. delving in to mobile app dev can be costly unless you can find a developer who has large amount of code that can be reused.

^ That would be a killer option for an app developer... To make a V-Bulletin replacing framework, then offer all the forums the option.
    Quote Originally Posted by philip nod View Post
    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauIXI View Post
    Maybe a mobile-friendly site would be cheaper and less hassle, as opposed to an app? Of course, then there would actually have to be fundraising before anything got built...
    Good idea. Give me the donation button.

There are some great ideas for the future of SZ, but they are mostly for buying, selling, showing themselves. This is already a large part of SZ and would probably get even bigger with an emphasis on this aspect by an app. If you ask me, I don't want to see more phone pics or hastily assembled sale threads.

Quote Originally Posted by kunk75 View Post
    sz works very well on mobile, see no reason to add the app, cannot imagine why an app would outperform or provide something better.
    based on my personal experience I would have to agree with this. I've used SZ pretty extensively on my Android phone and have done everything from posting, PM's to moderating activities without problems. I had an iPhone 3G before and I recall it working fine as well, so I don't see a need for an app.

That said, if people are willing to pay for it and it would actually cover all development costs, why not?
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

I find that the PM drop down button doesn't work on my iPhone4. I have to press it a million times before the options show up. Same goes for when I click on a users name to send them a PM for instance.

It's not the end of the world but can be frustrating. I would gladly pay for an app.

^ the drop-down doesnt work for me too.

well, i couldn't access my pms by mobile today....:)

anyway, if it functioned like a desktop widget and worked outside the auspices of the browser experience, it could be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrey View Post
    based on my personal experience I would have to agree with this. I've used SZ pretty extensively on my Android phone and have done everything from posting, PM's to moderating activities without problems. I had an iPhone 3G before and I recall it working fine as well, so I don't see a need for an app.

That said, if people are willing to pay for it and it would actually cover all development costs, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by resonaut View Post
    I was just explaining how it would be harder to recoup the money (spent on Android development costs) through an Android app.
    If the app was developed in Adobe AIR it could be packaged and published on both platforms with the same code - no duplicated development at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tgadd View Post
    If the app was developed in Adobe AIR it could be packaged and published on both platforms with the same code - no duplicated development at all.
    That's a good idea. I haven't looked into it enough considering it's pretty new (Adobe gave up on packager for iPhone until a couple of months ago while the Android side of things was in private beta).

Do you know of any examples developed this way that are out on the App Store/Market?

Quote Originally Posted by resonaut View Post
    That's a good idea. I haven't looked into it enough considering it's pretty new (Adobe gave up on packager for iPhone until a couple of months ago while the Android side of things was in private beta).

Do you know of any examples developed this way that are out on the App Store/Market?
    Adobe has released a number of example apps. For business apps the Adobe Connect Mobile app and the Adobe LiveCycle app were both packaged in Air. The Photoshop.com app is packaged this way too. Then there are countless flash games that have been ported. Some specific examples here http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/packagerforiphone/ and here http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php..._with_Flash.3F

If you go for standard Tapatalk compatibility instead of making a custom app, it will instantly be compatible with all major smartphones including iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, Nokia, etc. I personally couldn't care less about having sz look 'like sz' on my phone as long as navigation works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jogu View Post
    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Quote Originally Posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
    If you go for standard Tapatalk compatibility instead of making a custom app, it will instantly be compatible with all major smartphones including iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, Nokia, etc. I personally couldn't care less about having sz look 'like sz' on my phone as long as navigation works well.
    ditto..

just got tapatalk a couple days ago and it is fckin awesome...

If someone hasn't mentioned it yet, you should explore the option of using one of the website that simply optimize your experience for mobile platforms. That way it's also cross compatible and doesn't cost anything.

I think that 1.99 $ would be a great price. Then the app is not to expensive, when I buy apps which cost 5$ than the app must be really awesome, like Angry Birds. I would pay 5$ for Angry Birds.

I have an HTC Desire HD with Android now and see absolutely no need for an SZ app for me, so i take back what i said earlier because i am a selfish asshole that is happy now.
    You can click the links without zooming in, if you zoom to read you only need to do it a little if at all and you don't have to scroll right and left because the width adjusts to the screen. But all you iPhone owners can help yourself with an app. I have the perfect SZ phone now anyway.

I use a DROID too, but I am finicky son of a shitstorm. I prefer mobile sites on the DROID over the standard website any day. If I get an email notifying me of a SZ PM, I wait until I get in front of a computer as the drop menus dont always work for me. That said.....

I was just a a start up conference and met the the CEO of http://www.dudamobile.com/

Haven't tried it myself, but it is supposed to optimize an existing website (except flash) into a mobile friendly one in less than 10 minutes for FREE (for now, but they serve ads). My site is flash, so I cannot vouch for this, but worth a shot if you have a minute.

I'd buy it. I'm always browsing SZ on safari on my iphone and it's pretty annoying. A dedicated app would be useful.
    Life is a hiiighway

It is so exciting!!! I always check out newposts with my I phone when im outside and thought that it would be great if there is an apps for it. People will definitely buy one.

I like this idea and I'd be willing to pay 5$ for the app simply to help cover costs. But could I just use tapatalk? I've never tried it before and if it's compatible with SZ then there's no need for a standalone app.