View Poll Results: Would you buy a dedicated SZ iPhone app for $X.XX? Check all that apply.

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • $1.99

36 63.16%
  • $2.99

34 59.65%
  • $3.99

22 38.60%
  • $4.99

29 50.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: StyleZeitgeist iPhone App

I'm confused. The last post was in January. Did something happen?

This would be fantastic, especially for Ipad2. The image browsing would especially be cool this way. I too would easily pay whatever the price if you made this happen Faust.

Thx

i think it would be a lot better to just have a mobile version of the site instead of a mobile app. i would see it more as optimizing the site for mobiles / devices depending on screen size. for one, you only develop one non-browser solution that is independent of operating system (ios, android, etc.) and are tailoring the experience to what you're interested in (device-width and capabilities).

i did this at work a few months ago, and both "apps" are identical to the "mobile" version. colossal waste of time and super messy for maintenance.

^ thing is hacking something like this together for a site that runs vbulletin would take ridiculous amounts of effort as far as i can tell.

if you don't want to go with regular/generic tapatalk, there are two options:

vbulletin mobile suite (be careful if youre at work, the link autoplays a youtube video with music) - one time cost of $200 for iphone and android, plus $100 yearly fee
    Tapatalk Licensing/Rebranding - one time cost of $1000 for just iPhone or $1800 for iphone and android
    Quote Originally Posted by jogu View Post
    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

i don't really think it would take that long to put together. vbulletin has an API that doesn't look completely awful, so it's definitely doable. it's more work than just plugging into a third-party service, but you also get infinitely more control over it.

i think going for tapatalk or a similar product is a pretty short-term solution for something that is essentially a more complicated issue. more people are using mobiles / tablets / non-browser devices. the capabilities of the site isn't what's changing, just how you optimize the interface for its width, size, and capabilities. it makes a lot more sense, long-term, to develop something that targets width and size, rather than separate applications for iphone, android, and whatever else comes out.

i mean, it doesn't really matter that much, that's just like, my opinion, man.

It's about cost IMO. StyleZeitgeist is a fairly small forum and presumably run on a budget. How many hours of work from a half decent web/mobile guy does $1800 (the cost of a rebranded tapatalk install, the much more expensive of the two) get you? Certainly not enough to make anything decent from scratch no matter how good the APIs are.

That being said, browsing sz on an iphone/android sort of works, it's a big clumsy but as long as you're not trying to post a lot it's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jogu View Post
    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

depending on the timeline, i would consider doing it for a lot cheaper than that or for donations. that isn't meant to hijack the thread into a "hire me to do this" kind of thing, but just an option to keep out there.

that said, i agree that the board is totally usable on iphone. i haven't tested it on android so i can't speak for that.

bumping this - it'd be fantastic to get tapatalk enabled for this site.

i believe it would be the cheapest and quickest option for implementation.

even if there was some sort of standalone app in the future, tapatalk in the meantime would be great.

I agree that $1800 doesn't get you very far with a mobile guy doing the full implementation. I work in the software industry and the full cost is not the cost to implement, but the cost to implement and maintain. The maintenance itself (bug fixes, new features, etc ...) often outweighs the build cost.

has this went any further in the process? i'm pretty sure most of szg members have an iphone and would love szg as an app!

if you look at the previous replies, the consensus seemed to be towards an app being unecessary and expensive. iphones (just like other smart phones) are cabable of viewing the site through the web just fine.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

i disagree with you on that, but with the expenses in mind i of course understand the obstacle for an szg app.

no one seemed to be interested enough to kick in any dough.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by olethomas View Post
    i disagree with you on that, but with the expenses in mind i of course understand the obstacle for an szg app.
    hmm, what sort of problems do you have when viewing the site on an iphone?
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

it's not huge issues of course, i can read all things if i want, but clicking on small links without having to zoom in to see each pixel of the letters can be hard to avoid sometimes, taking a lot of time. and also i think it's kind of annoying trying to find a thread without searching for it, while being on my iphone. but then again, i'll just stay in and be on my macbook while being on szg. not very much more problematic then that! hehe.

i would be happy to pay 10 bucks for a good iphone app

what about just upgrading to vBulletin 5 which is responsive out-of-the-box? http://www.vbulletin.com/en/mobile/

no need to buy the separate mobile suite though:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...n-5-responsive

Quote Originally Posted by mikko View Post
    what about just upgrading to vBulletin 5 which is responsive out-of-the-box? http://www.vbulletin.com/en/mobile/

no need to buy the separate mobile suite though:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...n-5-responsive
    Faust : What funds would you need to upgrade to v5? Maybe send out a paypal link?

It's more that my programmer needs to find time to do this. I already bought the upgrade. Certainly you don't need to donate for it, but I appreciate the kind thought.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Id also be happy to pay $10.00 Im always on here while using my phone, although Im on android, so if this ever happens please consider google play also...