X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theaddict
    • Apr 2008

Moving to HongKong

Since I am moving to hong kong for three months in April, I would like to ask our local members there for some advice...

1. Where should I live and how do I manage to get a apartment? Internet, contacts, whatever is the best? Any warnings about rip offs? I am working at the German consulate, so if possible a cool area near there would be good. Although I don't care, I wanna live in the hotspot, not too student like but also not too posh...Just the coolest spot in town with the nicest cafes and people...

2. What should I definitely check out! Restaurants, bars, clubs, ok shops seems easy...

3. How is the mobile phone thingy working in honking, do I have to do a contract?

Any further tips would be very helpful!

Cheerios
    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!
  • ink
    • Sep 2010

1. Stay in Hong kong island, nearly all the foreigner staying in HK island. Depends on how much u are willing to pay, i will suggest you to look for the apartment near 'Star street'

3. For the mobile phone, u can choose pay as you go.

Comment

• theaddict
      • Apr 2008

Cheers mate, how far do I get with 1000euros for an apartment? And how do I find apartments, through the Internet?

Mobile pay as you go sounds good...should I get a card at the airport or is it cheaper to get in a shop int he city?

Originally posted by ink View Post
      1. Stay in Hong kong island, nearly all the foreigner staying in HK island. Depends on how much u are willing to pay, i will suggest you to look for the apartment near 'Star street'

3. For the mobile phone, u can choose pay as you go.

Comment

• mononon
        • Sep 2009

i go to Hong Kong twice a year since family owns a few homes and flat in hong kong, but i do not know much about renting. one time due to family problems, i stayed at an apartment (i believe they are the convention apartments) near the grand hyatt and next door to the dynasty club. that's a fantastic place and they have a great gym as well, but i'm guessing it could be pricey, the area is wanchai. where is the german consulate located? i could do some research for u. basically, HK is fucking expensive in regards to housing, and it's difficult to find a nice place for 1000 euros IMO -- one of the reasons stopping me from moving to the great city (since i would not live with family lol) feel free to pm me with questions - i'm probably not the best here, but i will try my best to help.
        calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• smash
          • Jan 2010

I think so. 1000euro cannot rent a flat in "star street" which ink Pita suggested. I rent a small flat to stored my garments and stuffs out of the Cooool area, it cost me almost 700 euro. A short term rental (3 months) will cost high price to pay. You may take a look of : http://www.horizonhotels.com.hk/index_en.html, I lived for a year before I move to here. It was a very nice service apartment, with finess club to keep firm yr body, swimming pool, shuttle bus (10 mins) to the MTR station, wifi; internet and well management, 80% residence are foreigners. No deposit hv to pay. And maybe you can hv a very nice view of 180 degree HK night harbour view and the hot ladies in Bikini

Comment

• smash
            • Jan 2010

Fine dining and local restaurant :

OpenRice.com is Hong Kong's most popular dining guide to help people find places to eat based on the restaurant reviews written by real local people. OpenRice also offers restaurant discount coupons and recipes. Through our Hong Kong restaurant search engine, users can easily find their desired dining places by districts such as Central restaurants,Causeway Bay restaurants,TST restaurants and cuisines such as French restaurants, Italian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Japanese restaurants, and buffet.

Part Time Job :

Pita is looking for a part time model for the SS11 collection

Comment

• skinfade
              • Jul 2010

Staying in Hong Kong for short term, I suggest those hotel service apartment because they will provide better service such as laundry, gym....etc. I have worked there for two months last year and had pretty good experience. My company provided me with an service apartment there. It was pretty good and was located in Kowloon district. Also it was convenient to commute to Hong Kong Island. Mobile phone service was relatively cheap and convenient in Hong Kong, but for less hassle you should get one of those pay as you go service at the airport. Food is always great in Hong Kong but I didn't dig into those high end restaurants. I rather explored all those local restaurants and tried every different kind of food.

Comment

• mononon
                • Sep 2009

for food, here is where i go all the time

yung kee - great goose!
                renaissance harbour view hotel - great formal restaurant, as well as great buffet as well (best in HK IMO!)
                grand hyatt - teppen buffet is great for lunch, plus top floor has a nice formal restaurant as well
                luk yu - great traditional chinese food, try it once at least - i don't care fot it, but lots of ppl like it and they're famous for fine tea
                dynasty club - nice lunch sets and western food + traditional chinese (may have to be a member though)
                farmhouse - great goose + friend chicken

other recommended:
                fook lam moon
                carriana for chiu chow style food (crab is super sweet, but pricey)
                and check out sai kung for the freshest and most exotic seafood in Hong Kong!
                lot's more that i cannot think of right now, but also street food is good when walking around and can be found everywhere for almost nothing!

my favourite thing about hong kong and other SE asian countries is those packets of crispy seaweed found at all the convenient stores , believe its called to noe kae or something lol - addicting
                calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• mononon
                  • Sep 2009

and that horizon hotel link is intersting, that's quite a good deal in hong kong. i may go back this summer to intern if i can get that deal actually. any one know of good business internships in Hong Kong that does not require fluency in Chinese (mandarin or cantonese)? Sorry for jacking the thread SA

Comment

• smash
                    • Jan 2010

monono : All restaurant you recommend are for big spender or tourist. All can found in the tourist guide at the airport. Some really fine rest. out of hotel outlets provide at least the same food quality but the more competitive price and the enviornment. If someone want to taste "Dim Sum", don't hv them in hotel outlets...never...ever. Compare to most of the metropolitan cities, HK transportation...dining...shopping...communication ....bablabla are cheap enough, just except the accomodation.

Comment

• mononon
                      • Sep 2009

- well, i wasn't suggesting per say for to eat at these restaurants exclusively, but just naming a few restaurants that i would recommend. i find that even at the most exclusive restaurants, there are a wide price range from the most expensive items, which can cost thousands of dollars, to simple dishes, which are affordable. the thing with hk is that some of the cheap restaurants are not clean and unsanitary. i've had food poisoning in HK from a street restaurant, and it was not a fun time. still not suggesting you blow your budget on food, but just wanted to recommend some nice places if you have a chance :)

smash, have u stayed at that short - term apartment that you linked?

Comment

• theaddict
                        • Apr 2008

Wow thanks guys! I have to start my research when I come home tonight! Yournhelp is very much appreciated!!!

Ok, gotta do some read up now...;)

Comment

• smash
                          • Jan 2010

mononon : Yes, I stayed for a years. You just bring along with yr luggage can moving in. Laundry and clean up service excluded in the rental. For yr reference, I rent a two rooms flat for $1700USD/month, with the harbour and pool side view on 6/F.

theaddict : The weather is warm even hot. Maybe 25 to 30C, the only garment you hv to bring along is a raincoat or Surli's umbrella.

Comment

• mononon
                            • Sep 2009

^+ quite humid as like all SE asian countries

smash: do you know how much a one bedroom is? and how much does laundry end up costing you? also, i couldn't find the location - by harbour front, do you mean near wanchai area on HK island? thanks again

Comment

• smash
                              • Jan 2010

I don't think they hv a single room, if yes, I'll be there again. The price depends on the season; the occupancy; views and the floors.

It located at Kowloon seaside, just 5 mins to TsimShaTsui shopping area by shuttle or you can just take a 20 mins walk

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎