X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Dec 2010

fashion film

Untitled from 525252 on Vimeo.

This is a draft edit of the first "fashion film" I've made, so I know its not going to be anywhere near phenomenal but I've watched it at least 1000 times now so my brain won't even react to it anymore.

Would anyone be so kind to spend two minutes to watch this thing and tell me what they think? If the noise/grain is awfully noticeable? Colour grading over saturated? blown out blacks too annoying? Portfolio worthy?

This isn't done as a part of school work so I don't really have anyone else to give me substantial criticism or advice.
    It was shot on a borrowed Canon 7D so there is some shoddyness due to last minute self-teaching on how to use the camera (eg. over estimation of ISO quality)
    Last edited by 525252; 01-10-2011, 08:40 PM.
  • Ochre
    • Sep 2009

Having never before had the opportunity to speak to someone who makes these kinds of editorial videos, I'm going to take the time to ask you...

What was your motivation/direction/or message in this work? I don't mean this to sound like a criticism. I'm curious as I see a lot of these types of videos floating around, particularly on Vimeo, and would always like to know what the film maker's intentions are.

Comment

• Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ochre View Post
      What was your motivation/direction/or message in this work?
      As much as I would have liked to have a clear direction and point to this film, there really isn't much of one. I'm not really sure how to answer that question actually... The motivation is to create an aesthetic and for me, the direction is pretty much dictated by what resources are available to me (or lack thereof, unfortunately).

I'm still at early stages so I'm probably not one to answer that very well. (sorry!)

Comment

• Ochre
        • Sep 2009

Ok, no problem. That is what I figured, to be honest.

So my critique, if I have any, is to try and work with purpose. I feel like I've seen this video many times before. The editing, emotion, pace, etc.. all seem like you're aware of what is out there, and you created a film to fit that mold.

Here is an example of a video I found quite quickly and picked arbitrarily that I think has a some relationship to yours:

things I found to be similar:
        - semi-awkward man meanders around landscape
        - half-hearted interaction with his environment
        - unusual movement and unnatural walking patterns
        - prominent, rhythmic music
        - carefully composed shots, almost to the point of being too "precious"

Now, your video is well executed, especially for someone who considers themselves to still be learning. So the technical understanding is there. I would only challenge you to not be satisfied with something that merely sits comfortably within this genre of film-making that is already over saturated by banality, but attempt to push beyond what so many seem to be happy repeating. Perhaps a starting point to this is not to make a video simply for the sake of making something pretty. Tell a story, make a point, or open a dialogue. I think there are enough "pretty" things in the world and not enough that make people react more than "oh that looks good." That is to say, I'm not expecting you to make some sweeping criticism of capitalism in your humble fashion video. But at least imbue it with some salient quality that people can take away other than a mere visual satisfaction.

I'm not a film maker, I'm an artist and designer so in terms of technical recommendations I can only give so much. But I'd certainly encourage you to look at more experimental artists working with video and see if you can't take some inspiration from them and their work.

Here are some quick examples, again not chosen for any particular reason other than artists who may give you a new direction to search in (forgive me if you're familiar with some or all):

Bill Viola

Paul Sharits

Jennifer West

Phill Niblock

I think it is so critical to share your work and be able to ask for honest critiques when you're learning your craft and it is pretty hard to do that so I commend you. I'm still learning myself so I can totally associate with the feeling. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh. I write this with good intentions. Best of luck and I look forward to see more.

Comment

• Dec 2010

Thanks Ochre, I agree with you completely and I didn't think it was harsh at all. I am definitely very aware of how cliche and over-done this was, and I am very critical of myself in that aspect. I really do agree with you about the "pretty pictures" part, I'm just finding it quite difficult to express the concepts I want to when I have so very little technical experience. I know for sure that if I did attempt to do that, I would be biting off more than I can chew and it would be a disastrous mutant of what I want it to be, which is in a way more disappointing.

This was really a kind of technical run-through for me, I had to learn to use a different camera and editing program in a short amount of time. I've always had intentions to do a fashion film with dialogue, that doesn't involve gratuitous use of running/walking/fans/wind/slowmotion (in this case it was quite unavoidable due to sheer inexperience- I didn't have nearly enough useable footage to edit into a sequence so I had to slow everything down and reuse shots)
          I hate to use the "it was my first time" excuse, but I will. It was my first time and there will be better things to come. I really do appreciate what you've said, and I am a big fan of Viola's work by the way :)

Comment

• Ochre
            • Sep 2009

Happy to help. You have a great attitude about it. Again, best of luck in the future.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎