Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stereophobic
    • Aug 2009

lol Christian, *rimshot* for your post. can't wait to see the SZ/Fashionology reports.
    An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

• Nikov
      • Nov 2008

waiting for the French crew's showroom report is almost as exciting as waiting for the actual runway presentation. so, thanks!!

Comment

• upsilonkng
        • May 2010

Originally posted by Christian View Post

DO NOT REPOST IMAGES ON THE SAME PAGE

Minivan was parked outside of the showroom - couldn't fit inside.
        Hey Christian obviously my opinion is not directed at you or anyone it's just how I feel. Maybe in europe it's different but if you've spent your summers touring around america and being in limbo in various mid-west ,southern towns/malls/bars like me, you would've seen a shitload of soccor dads in their minivans wearing gigantic cargos w/ pork rinds or kid's hats or baby shit in their cargos and flip flops. Or just crazy redneck "you can take the gun from my cold dead fingers" guys in their trucks cranking "freebird" while spooning their Budweiser (not the euro one which is great but the shitty USA one) while stroking their stomach(not bad) or crotch(not good) staring back at you looking for a reason to get that shotgun from underneath their seats.Not to mention all the cheap goth, industrial, punk metal kids/jarheads on weekend passes w/ their cellphones and visors hanging out of their friggin' cargos.. I can't ever get that out of my mind... I take it the Japanese have a severe lack of rednecks and that's part of the reason why it's cool to them. And when I was in europe it was certainly far less prevalent. Think about how you feel about GStar.. because here it's perceived as a completely different thing, rich people buy that shit thinking they're onto something rad... it's the same territory that Diesel occupy.
        To each their own and to their region and daily annoyances their own taste of what's exotic and what is beyond redundant.
        I'm still pretty firm on that.. but only for me. I like some of the shapes that aren't tent-ish because it reminds me of that rave culture of the early 90's..again probably cool somewhere but here in LA it got stupid in about 6 months and continue to decay still to this day. But no cargo for me..EVA!!
        Can't wait for the showroom pics!!

Comment

• diorowen
          • Aug 2010

^
          so the point is?
          still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

• upsilonkng
            • May 2010

Originally posted by diorowen View Post
            ^
            so the point is?
            wear it all you want ,to me where I live and what I've seen it's lame... but for others it's a different story because it doesn't have the same connotations. Did you even read that? I would imagine it's not unlike surfer wear in Australia, it's weird and funny to wear warriors of radness in NY but probably not so much in Australia or California.. And Uggs.. popular everywhere where it's consider new-ish but not so much in ocean cities where it's just consider surfer wear.. Clear?

Comment

• Lane
              • Aug 2010

While I understand your point, upsilonkng. With julius the items hold different connotations than how you perceive them. You perceive them in that manner because of the negative things you attribute to cargo pants based upon your anecdotal experiences. This is completely fine, but I think people are getting bothered by your comments because they are perceiving them as gross generalizations.

While I share your sentiments somewhat I also give them a chance in the fashion world since they have a different purpose there. I probably wouldn't buy any...anytime soon, though.

Comment

• triumphoftiredeyes
                • Feb 2009

Just a quick opinion on the cargos. I stupidly bought the wide legged one a couple of years ago and can't get the feeling of those raver, Jincos out of my mind. However, the slim leg ones are fairly nice and mine are beautifully contructed. I just have yet to actually where them.
                "Men are the dreams of shadows." - Pindar

Comment

• neonrider
                  • Jan 2008

I'm sure that others have their own perspectives, but I see an activist stance in Horikawa's clothes--a political and cultural consciousness, and a desire to design clothing that both "fits" and "shapes" it. To me, this is what differentiates him from other *********** designers.

Horikawa's cargo focus may not be aesthetically pleasing to some here, but that probably misses the point he intends to make. i'd guess that the cargo elements reference survival/"tactical" gear, with the double-edged hint at both a social and cultural context that's increasingly volatile, difficult to "survive" in (welcome to the age of austerity), and to the legitimization of hidden violence (rendition, blackwater, etc).

equating it to malls and rednecks seems to me both ironically miss the point entirely--and yet, to unwittingly capture it viscerally.

from a purely aesthetic perspective, the skinny julius cargos are a beautiful and functional design, that look surprisingly sharp with a range of stuff.

of course, ymmv.
                  ""assuming the economy doesn't force us to eat the rich and object-tan their hides" -- merz

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

That is an interesting point, but Julius has done cargos before the recession.

I think the whole thing is much simpler. I interviewed Dries van Noten last week, and he said that menswear has very few influences, and military is one of them. And it is so true. Menswear always references military clothes - its influence is far and wide. So, yes, it can be co-opted by rednecks, but it can also be done by Julius. Next time you see a redneck in slim leather cargos (the best version imo Julius puts out), holler at me.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chant
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2008

Julius FW 2011 Showroom visit

Comment

• Chant
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2008

Comment

• Chant
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2008

Comment

• Chant
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2008

Comment

• Chant
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2008

Thanks to Marc and to the _7 staff for their kind welcome.

More pics here and here

Comment

• modalsaliency
                                • May 2010

Very svelte. Interesting that the...tunic, or whatever we're calling it, is a single piece.

What leather types are being used this season? Hard to tell by the texture.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎