X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snafu
    • Apr 2008

Hi-fi systems ?

hey looking to get a half decent sound system for my flat, basically to use when im doing uni work.
    Im pretty clueless where to start.

My requirements are that i wither connect it up to my laptop via wireless or cable ( in my mind i understand good cabling makes a fair difference in quality of sound ? or that sound quality can be considerably lost through a cable )

Personally i don't like docking stations; i use an ipod shuffle when i have to, i dont feel the need for thousands of songs when im using it for 20-40 mins at a time, so rather than myself using an ipod to play music id rather simply use my laptop.

If im playing straight from a laptop do i simply need a good amp and speakers or do i need a hi fi system? I guess i would like a seperate cd option or a wireless one so i could continue to play while movie the laptop about. ? or is there some sort of system with a memory so i can store music within the player (kinda like an amp come ipod/hard drive)

God i don't know even good brands to stick to; is bose really worth the money or is it simply good case design/branding or can someone like sony/denon compete.

Any opinions, knowledge please share ...
  • t-bone
    • Dec 2009

Oh man. Can of worms. I can tell you what I like and use and I'm sure there are many others who have solid systems and ideas. My hifi has been put together like my wardrobe, selecting pieces that I can afford at first, that offer a good value, and eventually tracking down things that are 100% perfect for me. I have a soft spot for British solid state amps and late 70's American HiFi speakers, as that is what I grew up listening to my dad's records on, so that forms the cornerstones of my two current systems. I use a cheap NAD amp with some bookshelf Polk Audio Monitor speakers in my secondary system, and an Arcam amp with Polk Audio RTA11T speakers in my main setup.

There are some great french companies, both boutique and large, making amazing speakers these days. JM-Lab is big and has been around forever but makes some good value bookshelf speakers. Triangle is smaller and newer, and they make bookshelf speakers and full range towers that have always impressed me.

For sources, it seems like you are mostly using compressed digital files? If so, lower bitrate stuff isn't going to sound much better on an expensive system. 192K and higher will, and could benefit from quality DA conversion. If you have a laptop with digital optical outs, like a Macbook, there are a number of quality DA units around that will get you much, much better sound than you'd get from a 1/8" analog cable. Theres a discussion of that in the Electronics thread, take a look.

I can add more later...

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Any purist will probably spot three major errors already,

1. playing MP3s
      2. cable don't make a iota of a difference (well, maybe a iota, but no more than that). this has been proven by numerous engineering studies (yet companies still get away with selling suckers $10k cables).
      3. considering bose.

but i suppose to most people it doesn't make too much difference if it's mp3 or CD. there is vast array of products out there, so you gotta give us your budget first to help narrow it down.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• t-bone
        • Dec 2009

Oh and BOSE is universally disrespected by those who value actual good sound, and Sony/Denon/Yamaha/etc. consumer brands I would steer clear of if you're looking for real quality. Best bet is to find a local Hifi shop and audition until you find something you like.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I like my Yamaha just fine. But, then again, I am not a purist.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
            • Jan 2010

Another vote to avoid Bose.

I don't really understand what you're asking for. Are you looking for a hi-fi system or are you just looking to get better sound out of your computer and ipod?

If the later is the case you can check out amps and DACs here paired with a good pair of headphones or speakers. I'm not up to date on who is making the best small speakers at the moment but Stereophile is good place to check reviews.

If you want a proper a proper Hi-Fi system that's a completely different game, but I'd start with used equipment if you're on a budget. Some decent and better brands are Rega, NAD, Arcam, Naim, Linn, Roksan, Marantz... Best to go to shops and demo units using cds that you are very familiar with and preferably different types of music. Another option, if you're on a budget is try and integrated amp + a cd player + speakers if you're on a budget but want a full system.
            THE HOUSE OF DIS
            embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• snafu
              • Apr 2008

shit man ok well start guiding me, i guess i was looking for something fairly compact (i dont like anything taking up too much space smaller the better) as its only being used in one room and something under £400.

guide me...

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Actually it's not that complicated. The thing with audio - once you get used to it, it won't make too much difference, as long as you have nothing to compare to. Basically you just need an amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers. And you are in the UK - plenty of excellent domestic manufacturers. Go to Craigslist or Audiogon, and you should be able to get used equipment (used in stereo means nothing - usually the freaks take care of their stuff, so it's good as new), and look for something from these:

Audio/Video components for Home Theatre, custom installation, music and hi-fi applications including amplifiers, AV receivers, Music Streamers, BluOS enabled products, Tuners and Masters Series.

Arcam exists for one simple reason: to bring the best possible sound into people’s lives, whether from movies or their favourite music. We’re commi...

Linn design and make the best music systems in the world, precision engineered and hand-built with pride in Scotland since 1973.

Rotel manufactures high end consumer electronics for stereo, home theater and whole house audio systems.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                  • Jan 2010

If you're looking for small and good sound, Linn makes (made) an all in one that had pretty good reviews as I remember. I'm sure in the UK you can pick a used one up at a good price. I believe NAD made one as well. B&W make quality bookshelf speakers that are inexpensive. I'd go the used route for sure in the UK.
                  THE HOUSE OF DIS
                  embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• endersgame
                    • Aug 2009

i think the budget allows for a very good set of computer speakers with airport express. with this you will have money left over.

if you buy a used system, most likely you won't be able to listen to it (defeats the purpose if you are concerned about sound). you can't return a used system. there's is no warranty.

the hi-fi stores i've been to recently are selling peachtree audio products. the decco or nova is the least expensive entry-level integrated amp for computer music streamers. it's an excellent product for your needs but it's still over your budget (no speakers either) and it's kind of ugly..

agree with tbone, the files need to be ripped high quality or else the system won't matter..

Comment

• een
                      • Sep 2006

dis has this one nailed.
                      get a naim nait series 1 or 2 and add a pair of linn kans.
                      classic!

Comment

• sargon97
                        • Jan 2009

First I think you need to get your head around how much you need (want) to spend to get the sound your after. Try a few high end stores and give some of their lower end systems a listen.

As far as recommendations, I will start by assuming you want to spend as little as possible. I lived for a few years with the acoustic energy aego little computer system, and that was coming off (and what I am back to) a fairly high end system. I know they have the aego M and its cheaper that the original so I don't know if the sound quality has been compromised.

Also if your looking for computer based audio, the op amps and D/A converters in your laptop are going to be not so great. So I would put some consideration in a USB DAC. I haven't compared any of these but my co-worker has the headamp pico dac / headphone amp. And with a decent pair of headphones I was impressed by the sound.

Tried and true, the HeadAmp Pico offers a very versatile, portable audio package that delivers beautiful sound from a wide range of headphones and in-ear monitors. the optional USB DAC shouldn't be missed and punches way above its' weight, delivering big sound from a tiny package.

There are a lot of nice sounding mid fi british audio manufactures (a number which have already been mentioned).

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                          Oh and BOSE is universally disrespected by those who value actual good sound, and Sony/Denon/Yamaha/etc. consumer brands I would steer clear of if you're looking for real quality. Best bet is to find a local Hifi shop and audition until you find something you like.
                          Yamaha and Denon both make good stuff as well as crap. Neither make something that's going to compete with insane setups in dedicated rooms, but both turn out some pretty solid low-mid priced pieces. Sony stuff all sounds like it's playing through mud.

Bose is awesome, if you hate midrange.

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
                          If you want a proper a proper Hi-Fi system that's a completely different game, but I'd start with used equipment if you're on a budget. Some decent and better brands are Rega, NAD, Arcam, Naim, Linn, Roksan, Marantz...
                          I would add Musical Fidelity's cheaper stuff, Rotel, Creek, Music Hall to the shortlist of good value for money. I've never been unhappy with the sound out of an old NAD receiver I bought, though my brother finally stole it.

For 400 pounds, I expect you need to go used to get a DAC, Amp, and speakers. It's worth eventually upgrading from the cheapest possible cables (Faust may call me a liar), but anything over "lampcord" grade is going to be the same, and on a cheap system, even cheapest possible cables won't be different.

Stereo magazine cable reviews are high comedy.
                          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• sargon97
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by een View Post
                            dis has this one nailed.
                            get a naim nait series 1 or 2 and add a pair of linn kans.
                            classic!
                            Good call, just add a decent USB DAC and you'd be set.

Comment

• khiev
                              • Nov 2006

Snaf, the hifi world can be overwhelming. IMO, the most components for a respectable audio set are as follow (in terms of importance)
                              1. Source - you can have the greatest amps and speakers but your sound will never reach anywhere its full potential if you're playing compressed mp3 files. You'll only accentuate the lack of detail.
                              2. Digital to analogue converter. Try to get one with asynchronous USB input if you can.
                              3. Headphones/speakers. Do your research! Like clothing being a tactile experience, you must go to an audio store to get the best sensory experience. Sound is very subjective, trust your ears. Always bear in mind that room acoustics play a huge role in how your speakers will reproduce sound. This is one of the reason for the rising popularity of high end headphones. A nicely powered pair of high end headphones will always produce a cleaner and more detailed sound than the most expensive speakers (at the cost of spatial and dynamic reproduction).
                              4. Amps - always go for quality per watts.
                              5. Cables - I disagree w Faust here. They do make a difference, sometimes it's night and day. But it's a very hotly debated topic and one that won't be resolved anytime soon unless people are expertly trained in analyzing sound (and no, I don't mean hifi sellers, or hifi reviewers, but properly trained audiologist)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎