X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

With the recent surge of the new recent music purchases thread (thanks, Shifts!) - I encourage you to post photos of your system setup, hi-fi or computer audiophile. Here is mine - it's all in one audio and video. I upgraded everything last year, with the exception of the receiver. Unfortunately, I have to manually switch front towers cables because I have two different things driving audio and video, but I've grown accustomed to it.

Front towers - Focal Aria 926 - my biggest upgrade and they are brilliant!

Amplifier - Nuprime IDA-8, a D+A class amp (hence it's tiny size) in my opinion the best amp $1,000 can buy and I did A LOT of research. Very happy with it. It sounds fantastic but it's also very versatile - you can stream audio via BlueTooth to it in addition to regular RCA and optical connections.

Receiver - my old Yamaha receiver, which I still use for watching TV/movies and it does the job just fine. Not planning to get rid of it any time soon.

CD/DVD/B-Ray transport - OPPO BDP-103. The idea was to replace different boxes I had with one. I am marginally happy with it. While the BD/DVD playback is flawless and it plays any file you can throw at it via a front USB port, I find the CD audio underwhelming even in the pure audio mode (which cuts off all video processing), though many would call it natural. I preferred the brighter sound of my old Yamaha CD changer, which made those Focals really sing the high notes, (I suppose it's a somewhat personal preference). I am still considering adding a dedicated CD transport.

TV - LG OLED 1080p - do yourself a favor and buy this. You don't even need 4k - the picture is mind-blowing.

Center speaker and surround satellites (not pictured) by Anthony Gallo
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shifts
      • Jul 2013

Didn't mean to wait so long before I posted any image from my listening room. Somewhat distorted angles due to wide angle lens.

One could think I play insanely loud when seeing this image, but that is not the case at all. But I like low distortion at any listening levels and want to cover the whole frequency range down way below 20 Hz (which I do).

Speakers: Ino Audio i14 + infraX-6 bass system.
      Active filter: Ino Audio cr80s.
      DAC: Chord Electronics Mojo.
      Preamplifier: Marantz SR5005 singing on it's last verse.
      Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5
      Last edited by Shifts; 12-29-2016, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

WHOA! It looks fabulous.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PenguinBlubber
          • Mar 2016

Holy hell. Stunning. What are the benefits you notice from an active filter?

Comment

• Shifts
            • Jul 2013

Thanks guys!

PenguinBlubber: The active crossover (wrote filter, but that was my Swenglish talking) is only between top system and the bass system. The crossover in the top system is a normal passive one. I can't go in on all the technicalities (because I don't have this knowledge), but the purpose is to relieve the top system from all frequencies below 80 Hz, to minimize distortion and let the more capable bass system handle this part. There are many reasons why 80 Hz is a good place to put this breaking point, but the main ones are 1) The one I just mentioned about lowering the distortion in the top system 2) Put it in a frequency range where the ear is not so sensitive to make the crossover inaudible 3) To let the bass system handle higher frequencies will make them audible instead and not give a very coherent soundstage.

Comment

• PenguinBlubber
              • Mar 2016

Super cool. Makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• ian+
                • Dec 2011

Shifts this is ear blowing! Very jealous
                ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• khiev
                  • Nov 2006

Shifts, that DAC is simply world class, congrats! I decided to simplify my life a few years ago and use a devialet. I have a Astell & Kern 240 modded by red wine audio w shure se846 earphones.

For those of you interested in training your hearing senses to accompany your new shiny toys, I recommend a classic software by Harman Kardon from way back ppl use to call apps 'softwares'. Many might find the software very useful in identifying and learning to verbalize nuances in music quality, even with seasoned audiophiles (for lack of a better term)

A blog for users of the listener training software application "How to Listen."

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I didn't know Shinola got into the hi-fi business, hmm...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• etgreg
                      • Jan 2011

Faust a lot of companies are and have been jumping on the tech band wagon even Urban Outfitters; although on a low end level.

These companies are smart marketing turntables, "a must have medium" for the digital kids.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I know, but the Shinola one looks serious. One of my friends is an audio engineer and knows the guys who designed the Shinola turntable - he said that the built-in preamp is state of the art. Not that I'm advocating it (or anyting Shinola).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎