Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gavagai
    • May 2010

I've been a fan and using Grados for years.

That being said, the 225s are for wankers. True fashionistas only rock the best: http://www.italyluxe.com/fashion-bea...do-lab%C2%B4s/

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

^ lolz.

I have a pair of the 60's(?)...whatever the cheapies are. I've not tried anything that sounded better to my untrained ears, even if they do feel a bit radioshack-y in quality. Granted, I've not tried their higher end stuff, but it must be something.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• comedyzen
        • May 2009

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
        I've been a fan and using Grados for years.

That being said, the 225s are for wankers.
        If "wanker" was used in the context of one who is detestable, then I will object to such statement.

However, if you were referring to "a person who inflicts masochistic pleasure by oneself" then yes, the 225's are for me : )

...whoa, I think I just uncovered a new thread.

Comment

• gavagai
          • May 2010

Ha, only wankers rock the non Dolce & Gabana Grado cans...

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I feel like I have asked this before, but in case anything new came out, recommend me a quality entry level record player.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Venus in Furs
              Banned
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              I feel like I have asked this before, but in case anything new came out, recommend me a quality entry level record player.
              this is actually quite good, especially for the price. it also comes with the cartridge pre-mounted.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=essential

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

^ this is the one I have, but I opted to pay the extra $100 and get the USB version that has a phono pre-amp built in (which, unless you have an amp with one included already (probably not), will cost you more than $100, although you can't upgrade it later).

If you want to spend more, you can go up a step and get the Pro-ject Debut, which is nicer looking with a lacquer finish.
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• ryanhast
                  • Sep 2013

I think the Rega RP1 is a great entry level record player. I have one that still runs well. It is super simple which means less things that can break.

World class hi-fi, designed and made in England since 1973. Award winning turntables, amplifiers, phono stages, loudspeakers, CD players and DAC.

The RP1 performance is the one I have.

Comment

• Dorje
                    • Oct 2013

Hi SZ!

Just saw this thread. Glad to see some folks here are into audio.

I am an engineer and have been building audio equipment, mainly tube amps and cables for many years. I use Omega single driver speakers and a tube amp with EL34 output tubes making about 5 watts per channel rms.

Here is my preamp (1st pic) and amp (2nd pic)

The Omega speaker I run are the Super 3 XRS:

They are really amazing speakers and play to very loud SPLs for their size in a small room. With no crossover the sound is very clear and detailed, imaging is as perfect as it can get with the drivers acting as a point source.

I started a business building cables and eventually plan on offering a custom amplifier building service using exotic woods for the chassis and the best parts possible, www.davescables.com... (I promise I will not be promoting myself in this thread or anywhere on this forum, and am happy to answer questions or give advise on audio if it's within my scope)

Happy listening!

Comment

• Arcane
                      • Jul 2008

Basically a Pro-Ject or Rega depending om taste. I would go above the immediate entry level models to get a better build quality and get a good value pick-up from the start, like the Ortofon 2M Blue.

Otherwise there's the used marker where you can get some real value as well. It all comes down to how much you're gonna play and how deep your pockets are.

Don't forget that it's likely you'll nede a RIAA amp as well
                      Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

• munch
                        • Aug 2008

a year late to the party but Emotiva (or QMS in Asia) are amazing for the price. the 4" model are so good for the 300 or so they cost.
                        definitely near-field but if you use them as computer speakers I find them hard to beat. imaging is crazy good if positioned right.
                        they do kind of need angled stands or some regular stands to get the tweeters at face/ear level.
                        just pair them with a nice DAC like the Schiit Modi and you're good to go for 400-500 total for an awesome computer audio setup.

Comment

• 8bpc
                          • May 2010

Glad to see Schiit mentioned. They have some great audio hardware (made in USA) for the price. If you are in the market for a DAC I would suggest saving up for the Bifrost over the Modi.

Comment

• Dorje
                            • Oct 2013

Agreed, it's good Schiit

I have the Bifrost Uber, it's a nice budget DAC. A friend of mine has an Auralic Vega, I've been lusting after one but they are $3500...

Comment

• munch
                              • Aug 2008

yeah. definitely can't disagree with you guys. the über upgrade's great and I believe there is (or has been already?) a new USB board to be released, that further improves computer audio via USB - and this one is supposed to be quite significantly better. perhaps even worth it if you are using the current generation board.

but the modi is just so cheap and much better than any laptop or desktop computer motherboard can do. also I'd be surprised if there are any PCI-cards that would do better...

Comment

• Dorje
                                • Oct 2013

The modi is great for the casual listener who wants decent results from using a computer as a source. Good price too.

The Bifrost does have a new version 2 USB board, and it is definitely worth the upgrade over the first gen board as is the "uber" analog board.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎