Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thehouseofdis
    • Jan 2010

If you are considering Naim and can afford the step up I highly recommend the brand. You're at an advanctage as Naim components are significantly less expensive and more available in the UK.

I have a Naim CD3.5 and a Nait 3 intergrated amp along with a Linn Axis turntable running through B&W DM601 speakers (the weak link in my system). I also use a Chord interconnect cable for plugging my iPod or laptop (when desired) which works well. I love the simplicity and sound of the Naim gear and the ability to upgrade the system by adding a Flat Cap or Power Amp.

If you're really on a budget, start with a Nait, a pair of speakers and an 1/8" interconnect for your laptop/MP3 player. Later when you get additional funds you can get a CD player and if you want a Flat Cap and/or Power Amp.

It's also possible to send your gear back to Naim for maintenance if needed, which I like because it means the gear isn't just disposable. It also means that when/if you want to upgrade there is always a market for used Naim equipment.

I also think that anyone that really appreciates music and can find the money to buy the type of clothes mentioned on this forum really owe it to themselves to invest in quality stereo equipment. It's not something that one buys every year or even every few years so spend some money. Anyone with decent hearing can tell the difference between a Sony and a Naim.
    THE HOUSE OF DIS
    embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• doldrums
      • Dec 2008

because when you are talking about these brands, aesthetics has to enter the equation - im not sure why but linn always seemed aesthetically more pleasing to me than naim...just sayin.

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
      If you are considering Naim and can afford the step up I highly recommend the brand. You're at an advanctage as Naim components are significantly less expensive and more available in the UK.

I have a Naim CD3.5 and a Nait 3 intergrated amp along with a Linn Axis turntable running through B&W DM601 speakers (the weak link in my system). I also use a Chord interconnect cable for plugging my iPod or laptop (when desired) which works well. I love the simplicity and sound of the Naim gear and the ability to upgrade the system by adding a Flat Cap or Power Amp.

If you're really on a budget, start with a Nait, a pair of speakers and an 1/8" interconnect for your laptop/MP3 player. Later when you get additional funds you can get a CD player and if you want a Flat Cap and/or Power Amp.

It's also possible to send your gear back to Naim for maintenance if needed, which I like because it means the gear isn't just disposable. It also means that when/if you want to upgrade there is always a market for used Naim equipment.

I also think that anyone that really appreciates music and can find the money to buy the type of clothes mentioned on this forum really owe it to themselves to invest in quality stereo equipment. It's not something that one buys every year or even every few years so spend some money. Anyone with decent hearing can tell the difference between a Sony and a Naim.

Comment

• khiev
        • Nov 2006

One of the best classified audio website is audiogon (http://www.audiogon.com). You'll find some of the best selection and deals over there from reputable audiophiles. Good luck hunting!

Comment

• Venus in Furs
          Banned
          • Aug 2009

Comment

• t-bone
            • Dec 2009

Niiiiice shots!

I also recommend Audiogon. I have picked up a couple things from their classifieds including an almost new Dynavector 10x5 turntable cartridge! (amazing value)

Comment

• gavagai
              • May 2010

I'll say this - if you do not have limited funds and like to spend your money on the expensive clothes discussed in this forum avoid audio discussion at all costs as your wardrobe will take a hit! haha...

Comment

• Icarium
                • Oct 2010

Ah another LCD-2 owner in this forums. Funny how hobbies overlap. I too am a huge headphone audiophile with farrr too much money sunk into audio gear.

My advice to you.. stick to two channel sound unless you really want to spend the money to go beyond normal mass market 5.1+ channel sound systems.

Speakers I don't have any great advice. I have some green mountain audio europa monitors and they are pretty solid for my space. I think one thing to decide is how efficient you want your speakers to be which will determine how powerful an amp you need.

I personally like more efficient speakers myself since I don't have the space to go planar or electrostatic.

For amps/dac I like vintage solid state gear for bang/buck. I like offerings by companies like Parasound/Adcom/Sonic Frontiers/Great American Soundworks (GAS) from the 90s. Imo for solid state that's the golden age where you get that great engineering, materials, construction, design that you don't see from newer offerings.

Comment

• unwashed
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                  I'll say this - if you do not have unlimited funds and like to spend your money on the expensive clothes discussed in this forum avoid audio discussion at all costs as your wardrobe will take a hit! haha...

True... Still in doubt to expand my stereo set into 5.1.

1600 euro on audio or clothing hmmm, my girl won't approve both choices, better buy her a scarf or something
                  Grailed link

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

My modest set-up consists of:

Pro-ject Prebox, Ampbox, and USB Dac:

Macbook pro as the source (you know what that looks like)

Totem Rainmakers:

and el-cheapo-Grado's:

All told about $2200 new (excluding MBP). Not earth shattering, but good for a small space.
                    Last edited by Dane; 03-17-2011, 02:26 PM.
                    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Chilton0326
                      For a $500-$600 budget, you may be able to find a used Bang & Olufsen Beosound 1. It's basically a pretty boombox, but I've had mine for 7 years without a problem, and the sound quality is great --
                      it's probably the only good deal Bang & Olufsen offers too.

Anyway, whatever you do, I'd go cheap on the player, and spend more on buying CDs/songs. The best music sounds good in almost anything.
                      I had that thing...it was okay, but I couldn't get past the fact that the channels have no separation. Good for a bedroom or whatever, but meh otherwise. (pretty though!)
                      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• gavagai
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
                        because when you are talking about these brands, aesthetics has to enter the equation - im not sure why but linn always seemed aesthetically more pleasing to me than naim...just sayin.
                        I believe this would call for an all out war in most other forums :)...

Comment

• neonrider
                          • Jan 2008

and make sure to listen to some electrostatic speakers if you haven't heard them before. it's a love or hate kind of thing, but i can't live without a decent pair.
                          ""assuming the economy doesn't force us to eat the rich and object-tan their hides" -- merz

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                            My modest set-up consists of:...

Totem Rainmakers:
                            Do the rainmakers have the same "sound" as the Model Ones? I know they won't be quite as solid, but I've always loved the sound of the totem speakers I've heard, though I've never had the chance to hear the rainmaker.
                            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• munch
                              • Aug 2008

haha, awesome!

I need to take photos of my setup
                              home-built headphone amp from a kit called cavalli-kumisa 2 MK III
                              AKG K701
                              running from macbook air, thinking about getting a USB DAC kit to make

portable setup is iPod Touch 4G with audio technica ATH-CK10 with Sony EP-EX10A earplugs (better isolating than the standard ones)
                              and a cMoy to go with it.

Comment

• arc
                                • Mar 2011

I would recommend the A5 from Audioengine. Good value for the money if you are on a budget.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎