Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Archives discussion and feedback

Quote Originally Posted by wire.artist View Post
    If I have very good quality pictures from auctions and e-stores, would it be acceptable to post them?
    don't know if this is a good idea, but the mods can decide.
    there was some discussion about watermarking the images with the SZ logo to prevent misuse by non SZ entities, so if there is usage of images from Elsewhere I dint know how this would work,
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

images in this area should be attachments only imo, otherwise you'll get threads full of broken images as people move on, delete their photobucket pics etc etc..

thanks faust for the new section! the collection should really add to the site, learning wise.

Quote Originally Posted by wire.artist View Post
    I can quote the source. TFS steez, no watermark then OF COURSE

It would be a shame to miss some valuable information. I already have access to it, so I won't mind if there is no interest here.

edit:

If it's only an archive built from pieces owned at some point by the members I see some archives as a failure...Balenciaga, or Mcqueen for example.

If you want to see lots of rick, CCP, + , LUC and such. It's a good plan.
    I certainly wouldn't want it be that, and it would be a shame because Ive had access to a a lot of interesting Garments that I've never owned.
    Another thing I'd like to see is significant womenswear contributions to this project.............

no idea why there aren't more female members, certainly far more civilized here than the purse forum, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kunk75 View Post
    no idea why there aren't more female members, certainly far more civilized here than the purse forum, etc.
    I don't mind that there aren't more female members.
    There are things for men and things for women, and its nice sometimes to have a distinction, even if it want originally intended to be so.

that doesn't necessarily mean i wouldn't want to see more, its just and interesting difference to have a predominantly male fashion forum.

that being said, one of the ways to increase the Womens membership is to contribute more post/ threads about the more mainstream brands that women are interested in..............
    NY Fashion week is coming up, lets see how many of the womens collections will be posted and how much discussion they will receive.......

dunno if donna karan posts would be worth it, forget I ever said anything

dunno if donna karan posts would be worth it, forget I ever said anything
    why wouldn't posts about her mean anything?

she is an important designer in the history of American fashion and fashion in general.
    I personally don't like her work but I don't have to like it to understand her importance in a broader sense...........
    We don't have to like things/ people on a personal level to appreciate their significance in the bigger scheme of things.............

i just meant i wouldn't want a bunch of dkny crap posted, just as I wouldn't want a bunch of guys to post tommy hilfiger polos

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I want photos not to be on a human body, but garments in themselves. This is about the garment, it's not another WAYWT. If you have a mannequin and think the garment will benefit from being on a dress form, you can use it. We want only clear/high quality photos please.
    I understand the desire to avoid creating another WAYWT, however, garments are not standalone objects. They are designed to be worn. They are not designed to be presented flat, or on a hanger, but on a human body.

In one sense, disassociating the garment from the person allows for a more objective representation of it - we're not distracted by skin, hair, individual physique, other garments the person happens to be wearing etc... An ideal solution may be to present each garment on a standardized mannequin. However, I presume very few members own mannequins.

Given that we cannot present each garment on a mannequin, we're faced with a choice between garments on hangers and garments on people. Can we not more accurately see the shape and cut of a garment when it is presented as the designer intended it, on a human form?

(Sure, there may be exceptions to this rule, like CCP, "designer for ghosts", whose garments retain their form in absence of a human body. But, thats a special case and not applicable to every designer or every garment.)

i just meant i wouldn't want a bunch of dkny crap posted, just as I wouldn't want a bunch of guys to post tommy hilfiger polos
    Um, wherefore the suggestion that women don't have much to contribute here? I suggested, for example, Balenciaga because I own several pieces that are, in my opinion, historically important and technically mind-boggling. I doubt, at least for one of the pieces, that few will have ever had a chance to see it up close.

So, chill. Chill and enjoy. I think we women "get" it..the "geist." As do the men. There will be no Fendi baguettes posted.

MBD
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

ok so far I've had to correct over half of the posts to have the required information. is it really this hard?

I won't correct every entry from now on, so those with notably inadequate info will be removed.

same goes for hosted pictures, the point is to use the image attachment function.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

If it's an archive members should put a little more effort into taking pics or into the descriptions. This should not end up in the usual "just kopped and i want to let you know" blurry phone pics.

The Dior archive looks great btw. Makes me regret not to have bought more Dior back in the days.

Can we have a Viridi-Anne archive as well?

^ i concur, mine are placeholders as my camera has gone missing

edit: ^ I wrote this up before you posted...[lol]

I think a standard needs to be set now so that this part of the forum grows into a good resource that people would love to browse. I might be a little bit OCD but I find kunk's photos in the Rick Owens thread 'not up to standard'. I mean the garments are not even laid out nicely, let alone flat. I think people should at least try and take a good picture of the garment as well as labeling the post accordingly. This is meant to be an archive of garments afterall, not just a photo gallery of items owned. I'm not trying to pick on you kunk, no offence intended, because photos are better than no photos. But I think it's just important to point this out now.

I am also all for a Balenciaga thread. I have a piece I would like to archive, may not be an awesome 'SZ piece', but it's something I like.
    Last edited by kuugaia; 02-10-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: edit

^yeah, will add high res shots over the weekend. just wanted to start cataloguing.

I'm working through my image archives from oldest to newest... so a lotta DH first :)

I'm going to try to do a few each day.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Wire, I think it's Ok to add photos that are not yours, if they are REALLY good.

Trentk - I understand what you are trying to say, but the rule stands.

Also, everyone, please listen to lowrey - it's not hard to follow the posting guidelines. Make an effort, please.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

^ i concur, mine are placeholders as my camera has gone missing
    Yes, we need better images than those. :-)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

What if we don't know all the details of a piece? I, for one, have a few Ann pieces that I think are worth archiving, but I've no clue what season they're from. Should I just leave it blank and let the experts edit my posts?
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...