Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TypicalFashion
    • Mar 2007

I agree that the structure of the company and the customer are different than what people are used to here on SZ.

I loved Geller's first simple small collection of items, but what I saw even in the collection following was not what I thought it should be qualitywise... I really just see this work as fading into obscurity despite me really wishing I could care. Season after season I feel like I'm seeing smaller buys from him and safer pieces ... I'm afraid he reminds me more of a brand like steven alan at this point or in that pool of brands I can't logically understand...

Comment

• Zenith
      • Jun 2009

And yes, the items don't go together in a textbook way. Many items are divided within the collection: Jersey suit pants with leather jackets etc.
      But again, it's the sense of color that brings it together, mixed with that bit of scruffy insouciance that makes it work.
      Maybe level the ''erratic'' criticism at the FW10 collection if you really want to, but I don't see it being as much of a problem here.
      I don't mind the colours, just as a whole this isn't cohesive at all. if I didn't see the pictures in succession, I'd have a reasonably hard time thinking these were all of the same presentation (minus the footwear). As mentioned you have Hedi styled pieces, some Ann, then you have the studded goods followed by the dark leather looks. As if he's trying to hit every bullseye in one collection.

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by TypicalFashion View Post
        ... I'm afraid he reminds me more of a brand like steven alan at this point or in that pool of brands I can't logically understand...
        "Incorporating a variety of influences from iconic rock n' roll looks to rugged, stylish classics with a contemporary urban edge, Gilt's selection of statement-making looks from New York-based designer Robert Geller offers modern wardrobe essentials that pair downtown cool with a bit of laid-back ease. Casual or formal, we’ve got just the thing to keep you looking smart."
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
          as time goes on, I don't think I understand who the customer is of half the designers out there. maybe it's my myopia but there are probably 5-7 designers out there who have a clearly defined customer ( you included <3)
          One of the biggest reasons why companies in fashion fail is the reluctance to define a customer and to cater to his/her needs
          As much as I am not a fan or Armani or Ralph Lauren, there is a reason they became the most successful designers in the last 20- 25 years.
          they understand exactly who their customers are and provide what is needed.
          I remember an interviewer once asked Armani, how does he know what to design and what direction to go...............his response was was "the stores show me the way, whatever the stores sell is what I design".

It might be different for some because, not everyone of us want to be as big as Armani or Lauren, but understanding you customer and responding to their needs is crucial to ones success in this business.

I don't know about others, but for myself that is priority numero uno!

with respect to Geller it may not be his best collection but I think he is one of the better menswear designers here in new york, I have tried to be respectful and not personally criticize other designers work, but there is a whole bunch of crap parading as menswear here in NY that as far as I know, I wonder who buys it and where does it sells.....................or are peoples taste so bad that these designers continue to be in business season after season.

there is a lot of Stuff from Roberts line that I would wear........I doubt if I can say that with regards to a lot of menswear lines here in NY
          Last edited by zamb; 02-14-2011, 10:59 PM.
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Augustannia
            • Jan 2010

Zamb you hit it right on. i had to come to SZ cause on sufu you cant tag. Not really digging his past two seasons, but there are a few pieces im liking.

Geller's target audience i believe he said is some one who enjoys a good book, and also likes to enjoy a good beer? Something along that line.
            With that said, his consumers are probably a narrow few, so he's probably trying to reel people in with this Hedi/Ann pieces.

Geller lost me after SS10. Everything before was golden.

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

I know loads of guys who like beer and books, but none who wear leather waistcoats, studded belts, snoods or cumberbunds with their skinny jeans. Odd to define your target (clothing) customer with reference to these aspirational ancillary characteristics ("cool but brainy, yeh?") and no reference to the way that they look.

Comment

• christianef
                • Feb 2009

maybe he was just paraphrasing. anyways not really that odd don't pretty much all designers do it, how many damned poets do u know these days that wear asymetrical bomber jackets, with oversized blouses cropped in the back and cropped pants with tons of skull necklaces etc etc its easy to define your customer when you're armani and will no doubt translate much more seemlessly in reality a little more difficult here. but journalists will ask and you have to come up with something.

Comment

• laughed
                  • Jul 2009

geez...scarf overkill. not liking this one. the belts and belted jackets (if they are belted jackets) are pretty cool, other than that - i like rob but this one in my opinion is downright awful.

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                    maybe he was just paraphrasing. anyways not really that odd don't pretty much all designers do it, how many damned poets do u know these days that wear asymetrical bomber jackets, with oversized blouses cropped in the back and cropped pants with tons of skull necklaces etc etc its easy to define your customer when you're armani and will no doubt translate much more seemlessly in reality a little more difficult here. but journalists will ask and you have to come up with something.
                    "Don't hate the player hate the game."
                    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• hommedeguerre
                      • Jun 2009

Here are my overexposed examples:

Le 21ème

Comment

• Patroklus
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2011

This would have been a better collection with some stricter editing.

These two pieces don't really fit into the wider collection, for example. It would have been a lot better to just leave them on the cutting room floor.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎