X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inxight
    • May 2008

Greg Lauren

While quickly looking through Barney's I came across jackets designed by Greg Lauren (artist and nephew of Ralph) that caught my eye. Though I did not have enough time to try any on, they looked amazing. Constructed from vintage Army duffel bags and tents, gromets placed at the waist and some collars, differing buttons and ribbon closures, each jacket was an individual in its own right. I will venture back again to see how they fit. Here are some pics of his mens and womenswear.

• michael_kard
    • Oct 2010

I don't like the ones above, they seem very costumey and a bit over-the-top on the distress department. Last photo looks like a normal blazer with silly things stitched on it.
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Inxight
      • May 2008

Yeah, if you're not much for distressing then these are not for you. Though because of the fact that he is using vintage duffel bags and tents to source the fabrics I don't think there is any escaping the distressing. In fact I would say he is obviously playing it up. For me I like this for that reason, since it shows off the history and lifestory of the material in a wearable garment. To me it isn't as much costumey as it is an extension of his art, a meditation on textiles and recontextualizing it. But with that said if one wanted to use these for a theater production of Oliver Twist, I can see that to. . .

Comment

• laughed
        • Jul 2009

Comment

• Inxight
          • May 2008

Wire.artist could you elaborate, I'm not following why you said that or what you're getting at? Personally, I don't feel this is breaking any new ground. All in all this exists in the same aesthetic sphere as local boys NICE Collective to me. I feel this is a more artisinal approach to that aesthetic, where each individual piece is informed by the material that created it.

Comment

• laughed
            • Jul 2009

yeah, i thought nice collective as soon as i saw it. works for what he's doing.

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
              I don't like the ones above, they seem very costumey and a bit over-the-top on the distress department. Last photo looks like a normal blazer with silly things stitched on it.
              ^^i think u misunderstand whats happening here.

Originally posted by Inxight View Post
              Yeah, if you're not much for distressing then these are not for you. Though because of the fact that he is using vintage duffel bags and tents to source the fabrics I don't think there is any escaping the distressing. In fact I would say he is obviously playing it up. For me I like this for that reason, since it shows off the history and lifestory of the material in a wearable garment. To me it isn't as much costumey as it is an extension of his art, a meditation on textiles and recontextualizing it. But with that said if one wanted to use these for a theater production of Oliver Twist, I can see that to. . .
              ^^this is whats happening here. stated in the most polite way possible.

i like it too. i wouldn't wear it but my wife would look cool in it.
              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Fenix
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                i like it too. i wouldn't wear it but my wife would look cool in it.
                Ha, this is exactly what I was thinking.
                Originally posted by hausofblaq
                Grow up.

Comment

• laughed
                  • Jul 2009

this is more to see on his site, different style, which is decent.

Comment

• edhohoho
                    • Jan 2011

Saw this designer's display at Barney's in LA as well. Looks cool on display, but the blazers seem hard to match...at least with my wardrobe. The pieces also appear hard to wear...the material is pretty stiff despite the cloth being cut from worn/vintage bags and tents. I like the vintage vibe with all the grommets and graffiti. The prices are pretty crazy too...you can almost get an RO leather for the price of some of those blazers.

Comment

• rider
                      eyes of the world
                      • Jun 2009

i saw this in person as well and all i can say is, its on display like an art show and most likely all of the garments will hang there for awhile. its monotonous and seemed poorly constructed but what do you want from a self appointed "designer" that just learned to sew not to long ago. its quite obvious that pattern-making wasnt his strong-suit.

as a matter of fact when i was in barneys greg's uncle ralph happened to be there with him and i had my junya jacket on from fall 2006, lets just say i think RL was looking at it and going "thats how its done"...
                      Last edited by rider; 03-01-2011, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Why does everyone and their mother think they can be a designer these days? I guess this would look good in True Grit.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• edhohoho
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by rider View Post
                          i saw this in person as well and all i can say is, its on display like an art show and most likely all of the garments will hang there for awhile. its monotonous and seemed poorly constructed but what do you want from a self appointed "designer" that just learned to sew not to long ago. its quite obvious that pattern-making wasnt his strong-suit.

as a matter of fact when i was in barneys greg's uncle ralph happened to be there with him and i had my junya jacket on from fall 2006, lets just say i think RL was looking at it and going "thats how its done"...
                          I should have known he was related to RL. Wanted to try one of those blazers on but when I held it up to myself I couldn't believe how long the body and sleeves were. I have a Junya jacket from I don't know when but I totally agree that the cut and detailing are far more flattering.

Comment

• copacetic
                            • Nov 2010

This designer sucks. No more comments. To the bottom he goes.
                            And "When the prince has gathered about him
                            "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• mrburgess
                              • Dec 2010

I just got an e-mail that he will be at Barney's in Chicago for a trunk show this saturday. The stuff does have a strong costume air about it, and certainly does have elements of the label Nice Collective. However, it is interesting in that these items seem to be bridging a gap between the theatricality characteristic of Demeulemeester (I'm thinking of the peaked lapels, scarf/crevat, and ties on the backs of the jackets) and a more rugged/military-inspired look that seems to dominate men's fashion.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎