• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docintheory
    • May 2008

John Galliano sacked by Dior

Just came across this:

Fashion designer John Galliano is sacked by fashion house Dior following alleged anti-Semitic comments he made last week.

British fashion designer John Galliano has been sacked by fashion house Dior following alleged anti-Semitic comments he made last week.

Dior said it had decided to fire him after seeing a video clip allegedly showing Galliano telling two women in a Paris cafe: "I love Hitler."

"I very firmly condemn what was said by John Galliano," said Dior's chief executive Sidney Toledano.

A lawyer for the 50-year-old designer said he denied the allegations.

Toledano said Galliano's alleged comments "totally contradict the values which have always been defended by Christian Dior."

Earlier on Tuesday, Oscar-winning actress Natalie Portman said she was "disgusted" at fashion designer John Galliano's alleged anti-Semitic remarks in a video.

"I am deeply shocked and disgusted by the video of John Galliano's comments that surfaced today," said Portman, who won the best actress Oscar on Sunday.

It followed the footage posted online allegedly showing Galliano telling a Paris cafe patron: "People like you would be dead today - your mothers, your forefathers would be gassed."
    Natalie Portman and John Galliano Portman and Galliano both work for the Dior fashion house

Galliano and Portman have both worked for fashion label Dior.

Portman is the face of Miss Dior Cherie perfume and has often been seen wearing Dior at red carpet events.

But at the Academy Awards on Sunday, she chose to wear a dress designed by Black Swan design label, Rodarte.

"In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr Galliano in any way," Portman said in her statement.

"I hope at the very least, these terrible comments remind us to reflect and act upon combating these still-existing prejudices that are the opposite of all that is beautiful," she added.

Police briefly detained the designer on Thursday night after a couple accused him of making anti-Semitic remarks. He also allegedly traded slaps with them.

Galliano's dismissal comes on the first day of Paris fashion week - his Dior show is due to run on Friday although it is not yet clear if it will now go ahead.

UK Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman said on the fashion magazine's website: "I think Galliano made a terrible mistake and such offensive behaviour could not be ignored.

"It is all the same true that he has a huge talent and has contributed enormously to the resurrection of the house of Dior. Who can predict what the future will bring?"
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Damn!

sad day on many levels.........
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Good riddance.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stadsvandringar
        • Aug 2008

This is currently the headline at cnn.com for some reason.

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

this didn't just a random racist remark, it sounds like he was trying to come up with the most offensive and politically incorrect shit to say.

and the fact that he did the same exact thing twice is beyond strange. pretty sure he was looking for attention, for whatever fucked up reason. he certainly got it.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• cjbreed
            • Feb 2009

in the video he looked pretty hammered to me. clearly drunk with maybe even some pills in his system. talking out of his ass just being a dick and it came back to haunt him.
            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Pumpfish
              • Sep 2010

Fair enough, if this is a pattern of behavior then fuck him.

Bit harsh if he was out of his gourd, advanced in relaxation, and a bit annoyed.

He never exactly exuded balance.
              spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

looked to me like he had that chemically induced emotionality and just wanted to hurt someone. anyone.
                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Pumpfish
                  • Sep 2010

And his weapon will be words.

Not going to get far with a rubber sword and eyepatch
                  spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• thejarc
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pumpfish View Post
                    And his weapon will be words.

Not going to get far with a rubber sword and eyepatch
                    Well, he certainly made a mistake but isn't even his own label owned by LVMH? So what will happen with it?

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by thejarc View Post
                      Well, he certainly made a mistake but isn't even his own label owned by LVMH? So what will happen with it?
                      I was wondering the same thing. If they were just backing his private label they could just back out, but if they are the owners they'd either have to fire him (which may not be an option depending on his contract) or end the label. Neither of which matters to me since I've never really followed his lines. He really committed career suicide.
                      THE HOUSE OF DIS
                      embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Sombre
                        • Jan 2009

I just saw the video. I'm rather appalled, although I do agree that it seemed like he was trying to make a swipe at those people. Regardless of the man's talent, he deserved his sacking. I cannot tolerate prejudice of any kind.

From a brief look at LVMH's website, I don't see John Galliano under the list of subsidiaries, so his position there may be a separate matter. If LVMH does own part of John Galliano, it seems like they would almost have to remove him from his post there as well, based just on French law. I can't see them sacking him from Dior while at the same time maintaining ties to him and financially supporting him through his eponymous label. It may all be moot in the end, because if he's imprisoned for this he'll be replaced or see his company dissolved.
                        Last edited by Sombre; 03-01-2011, 05:02 PM.
                        An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                        I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• BeauIXI
                          • Nov 2008

I wasn't aware that making anti Semitic remarks in Paris could actually result in half a year of jail time, wild.
                          Originally posted by philip nod
                          somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Sentence him to eating falafels from Rue de Rosier three times a day for six months.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                              I wasn't aware that making anti Semitic remarks in Paris could actually result in half a year of jail time, wild.
                              I'm somewhat torn on that law. While I despise prejudice, I don't condone censorship of any kind by a state. He's expressed hateful views, which is deplorable. On the other hand, he has the right to have those views and express them in a non-violent manner (which is irrelevant if he really did assault that woman, but you see where I'm going with this). Overall, I'd have to say his rights to those views, however offensive, are more important than legal censorship of those views. Cue Voltaire.
                              An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                              I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎