Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SHYE_POSER
    • Mar 2009

Beyond what you see on the catwalk, some of his mens pieces are rather nice, made from beautiful fabrics and constructed incredibly well. Not for everyones tastes but it is very wearable.

Its funny you say that you miss the risk. He has always been risky, but now that he has refined his work a bit more, we seem to want the risque gareth back.
    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• morsto
      • Nov 2008

none of the mens looks do anything for me I must say, but I have never liked his mens collection. The womens however is spot on, the best I've seem from him.
      I do not recognise the vessel,
      but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• snafu
        • Apr 2008

I think the reason we don't like the mens is because its a gay vision of man; i can't see any straight guy wearing this stuff. His womens is very close to rick but ricks mens is still a straight mans view ?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Mr.Beyus readily comes to mind. Not the floppy pants, but I can see him in some of the priest assassin armor.

I wouldn't say this is particularly "gay," (and we'd first have to define what that means, if anything - effeminate? exaggerated? overtly sexual?) - I think it's just pretty out there, like a comic book. But it's always been that.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eat me
            • May 2009

The mens stuff is alright, not to my personal taste, but thematically it's great. The womens, however - breathtaking .

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Lots of stuff I could see myself in. But faust is correct. The trousers?not for me. I would love to meet a girl dressed in Pugh though. plzz.
              I just continually love the idea of Pugh aiming to dress us like citizens of the 21st century as I imagined it to be when I was a kid. It's rather satisfying. Flying cars next please. Or 1960's black 280SL's. Should put that in WTB.
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• im_parfait
                Banned
                • Oct 2010

It's nice that he escaped from his black-white-grey gamme and started to work with colors. The "disco-ball" tissue is doubtful in my opinion..

Comment

i kindof want the trousers. it looks really good combined with the long coat. like you're moving forward on a thunder cloud.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                    • Jan 2008

This feels very dogmatic, maybe those cross zippers doesn't help.
                    Mixed with naive futuristic elements and disco glitter, this is
                    quite bad.
                    Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• jogu
                      • Jun 2009

i can appreciate gareths menswear and there have been times ive thought bout buyin a few things but in the end i dont cos its never anythin i could wear frequently . maybe if i were goin to some fancy shmancy redcarpet type event ... then maybe . when i look at this collection i see shit that i would love to wear in theory but theres always some element to his clothes that kinda push it to bein a lil too costumey . thast probably not the best descriptive but cant think of another word rite now lol . take that long coat , the gold zippers forming a giant cross on the front with the prince of darkness pointy shoulders ... thats too much imo . now if it was just a long vertical gold zipper instead even with the shoulders then i think it would be more street wearable

Comment

• vapidly
                        • Dec 2007

This is my favorite collection he has done since his debut.
                        That being said, while I agree many pieces do tread on wearable and theatrical, some of these motifs are just plain boring. I do feel he is doing his geometrical thing well in some these pieces, but some come across as so uninspired and rehashed. His use of blue is "lulz". If anything this collection gets me excited again for Pugh and his work and I look forward to see what his next collection will bring, which is something that was lost on myself since his debuts.

Comment

• Sombre
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                          I think the reason we don't like the mens is because its a gay vision of man; i can't see any straight guy wearing this stuff. His womens is very close to rick but ricks mens is still a straight mans view ?
                          I never thought I'd see such a comment here. I'm straight, and I would wear it. I quite like Pugh's work, and have since his first men's collection.

This collection (both men's and women's) is cohesive, and references recent collections (S/S 2010 blazers). Now even on the men's side, he has carved out "classics" as he interprets them. He has also continued, and indeed expanded his experimentation with silhouette, particularly with the pants. He also just about copied Rick Owens' long gold tank-top from this fall, and made it even "golder," which I find cleverly tongue in cheek.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Pugh expand his colour repertoire. The electric blue was quite unexpected, and IMO worked best when combined with the signature black. I especially liked the two dresses that only contained blue on the side panels.

As for the gold, well something has to be over the top, now doesn't it? And while it's garish, it still retains the Pugh elements of geometry and paneling.

This collection is aces.
                          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                            ricks mens is still a straight mans view ?
                            that's pretty straight up retarded considering who the designer is
                            http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• copacetic
                              • Nov 2010

Seconding this being a "gay" collection. Seeing visual similarities to drag costumes. The totally unstructured lower half of the body in the men's looks brings out a feminine silhouette.

I sometimes feel that Pugh takes kitsch and fetish and camp and elevates it. Forgetting if I should back up camp being uniquely homosexual terrain: I think Susan Sontag pushed this point home in the '80s.
                              And "When the prince has gathered about him
                              "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• Rosenrot
                                • Aug 2010

Futuristic space goth - just the way I love it. I would seriously get one of those crazy coats in the 6th/7th look with the shoulder pads up to my ears. With that said, I am awed by the collection, which is a far cry from the safe, sterile SS2011.

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                                Lots of stuff I could see myself in. But faust is correct. The trousers?not for me. I would love to meet a girl dressed in Pugh though. plzz
                                If you're in Melbourne you might just meet one :)
                                Originally posted by Patroklus
                                Better too adventurous than not enough
                                everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍