Gareth Pugh FW11 - Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Mar 2009

Neoprene is super comfortable and this collection IS wearable.
    You guys got wearable and i-can't-pull-this-thing off mixed together. If you don't have the balls or care too much about other people's reaction, well this isnt your place.

and this the clothes in this collection are intended to be worn during fall and winter. People want something warm to wear.

Oh and this is fashion. This is womenswear. They don't care that much about comfort. They just want nice clothes.

edit: to the other guy who said that he fell in love with a piece that is womenswear: you can wear w's clothes. Gareth's stuff are made to be worn by both sexes (or the majority of it).
    Last edited by ***; 04-16-2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• quiet noise
      Banned
      • Dec 2008

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by *** View Post

edit: to the other guy who said that he fell in love with a piece that is womenswear: you can wear w's clothes. Gareth's stuff are made to be worn by both sexes (or the majority of it).
        only if you are as thin as Gareth!
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Zenith
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by *** View Post

While some of the more basic tops and the like can very much be considered unisex, too much of the outerwear/bottoms have distinctly feminine details (skirted back details, extreme cropping, lack of back pockets etc). Not really all that unisex imo. Not to say it cannot be worn by a male, but much of it ends up looking very feminine.

Comment

• marc1975
            • Dec 2010

Neoprene is super comfortable and this collection IS wearable.
            Guys... before everyone starts bashing me regarding my question whether or not Neoprene is wearable: The first thing that came to mind regarding Neoprene were diver's suits, with the very thick neoprene material. If you ask anyone what comes to mind when you say neoprene, it's probably this.
            Fast forward two weeks... I have been in London, I went to a special fabric store that also sells very thin Neoprene, and I bought approx. 3 1/2 meters of it. In fact, I noticed that I already had a Neoprene jacket at home, I just didn't know it - it's maybe 13 years old (still one of my favorites, though it looks a little worn already), designed by Lagerfeld. I bought the jacket because of the strange material - I always wondered what outer material he used (it doesn't state neoprene on the label) - now I know.

So... yeah, I agree, Neoprene is absolutely wearable.

You guys got wearable and i-can't-pull-this-thing off mixed together. If you don't have the balls or care too much about other people's reaction, well this isnt your place.
            The question whether it was wearable or not was just a question whether the material would be comfortable, which it is, which I learned in the meantime.

To your comment: "don't have the balls"... I was one of the first to wear a men's skirt back in 2000, and I was called "queer", "fag", and other not so nice names. After visiting a club back then, on the way to my car (at night) I was followed by a group of guys who wanted to knock me out, so I ran. I have never been so frightened.
            I also had a huge clash with my parents in those years, one of the reasons being how I dressed, which led to me moving to a totally different area and ceasing contact with them for over a year. My father developed a gastric ulcer during that time and had to go to hospital, as he vomited blood at some time. Guess what?

I started caring about other people's reactions. Even though I don't agree to my parent's view, I still love them very much. If anything, I've learned that it's better to adhere to certain standards at some times than to completely ignore everyone's opinion.
            When I am asking myself nowadays if I can "pull something off", it's not the question whether I can wear it, but it's the question whether I am crossing boundaries with family, friends or coworkers, and whether the things I am wearing are appropriate for the setting.
            So... I would not wear some of the more unusual Gareth Pugh's items to work or when visiting my parents, but I would certainly wear them when going out.

to the other guy who said that he fell in love with a piece that is womenswear: you can wear w's clothes. Gareth's stuff are made to be worn by both sexes (or the majority of it).
            Gareth Pugh's womenswear's biggest size is IT 46, I would require a 48 (yes... I could also start a diet, which might help me to get down to a 46 by fall ).
            Still, the anatomical cut is different: there is more space around the bust area in womenswear, whereas the waistline is much smaller. Even a bigger size would therefore very likely not fit very well.

That's why I am sewing this by myself - the complete outfit.
            Pants: I've bought a nice, black, "flowing" type of fabric (similar to Royal Duchesse) for the underpants, and Chiffon for the top layers.
            Jacket: I've got the neoprene fabric from my London visit; still waiting for leather samples from various online stores. Turns out that matte finish leather is quite hard to get, but one store offered matting leather samples, so I could select the one that I like best.

Whether I will be able to produce something similar - I don't know. I've never worked with fabric that has these "flowing" kind of properties, and I've also never worked with neoprene and/or leather. So it's a first in many areas for me...

Kindest regards,
            Marc

Comment

• survivrons
              • May 2009

i dont know how Gareth does it, but he never ceases to amaze me.

Comment

• Happy End
                • May 2011

Glamour?

Personally, Gareth FW11 > Owens FW11. I know that comparison might not seem apt, but I've always thought that their designs are from a similar bloodline. I liked Pugh because with this collection he's evolving and showing growth as a designer, whereas Owens seems to be in the process of refining concepts he established seasons ago. He doesn't shock me the way he used to.
                Rion

Comment

• Rosenrot
                  • Aug 2010

Some of the clothes up close:

From http://volgogombakandstyle.blogspot....y-of.html#more

Originally posted by Patroklus
                  Better too adventurous than not enough
                  everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• imananimal
                    • Mar 2011

Hi everyone,

Here a few pics I took (with my phone so I apologise for the quality) of one of the dresses at the design museum a couple of months ago if anyone is interested:

Comment

• michael_kard
                      • Oct 2010

I recently realised that this collection has been steadily turning into my favorite collection of the coming year. I cannot overstate how much I'm looking forward to handling the men's clothes. Go Gareth!!
                      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• jogu
                        • Jun 2009

idk i still cant get into this . i do understand why ppl like / love this but i just feel like for the most part its too like overdone . the bright gold against black does look nice , real nice actually , but i feel like its too flashy , too ostensibly different . it mite look ok for rihanna or some other ho to wear at some redcarpet event but i cant imagine it for everyday street wear etc . also im readin alot of ppl lovin this stuff but i very rarely see anyone actually wearin his clothes . for me that kinda says alot , like its fun to look at but not quite great enough to buy and wear

Comment

• Sombre
                          • Jan 2009

Rosenrot and imananimal, thanks for posting these. The men's leather combination coat is excellent. Definitely something I would wear.

Jogu, I can't speak for others, but I personally don't wear Pugh because it's too expensive, even for this market. I can't spend $2000 on a sweater. The coat I just mentioned will probably be in the realm of $4000, and that's just (well) out of my price range.

(Sorry for bringing the pricing discussion in here, but this time it was relevant.)
                          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• jogu
                            • Jun 2009

i thought about that factor too but then i was like hmmm what bout the guys or girls i guess on here that wear shit on par with that price range , u kno wha ti mean ? like im readin lots of love for gareths stuff but i cant recall the last time i saw anyone on here wearin it . i looked thru some of the s/s buys from various stockists and i did see some ok things mostly hoodies etc but the runway stuff just seemed too far out

Comment

his stuff might clash with the general wabi sabi appreciation in here. it¨s hard for me to see how this would age well, even though i wish i could afford his stuff.

Comment

• Sombre
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by jogu View Post
                                i thought about that factor too but then i was like hmmm what bout the guys or girls i guess on here that wear shit on par with that price range , u kno wha ti mean ? like im readin lots of love for gareths stuff but i cant recall the last time i saw anyone on here wearin it . i looked thru some of the s/s buys from various stockists and i did see some ok things mostly hoodies etc but the runway stuff just seemed too far out
                                Yeah, I see what you mean. Most of the people wearing clothing in that price range seem to settle on more understated pieces (Rick Owens being the exception). Even CCP wouldn't get a second look compared with Pugh. Maybe you have a point, at least within this market. Maybe, as Faust said once, it's just for a different consumer. Seven NY does well with it.

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                                his stuff might clash with the general wabi sabi appreciation in here. it¨s hard for me to see how this would age well, even though i wish i could afford his stuff.
                                Haha people here do tend toward the "this already looks older than Egyptian mummies" style, at least lately, Idk. I'd personally like to see more people wearing this stuff, but it's also possible that once you can afford it, you can't really be seen in something so eye-catching (creative fields aside).
                                An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                                I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎