• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feelslike
    • Jan 2011

A.F. Vandevorst FW11 Paris

Pictures selection from here
    more here
    Last edited by feelslike; 03-16-2011, 07:06 AM.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Holy shit.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

kind of mixed feelings. AFV has usually been one of my favourite womens collections but this I'm not so sure about. some very good looks, but several strange ones. partially weird styling as well, for example this polo + dress combination is kind of a wtf for me, the dress and knit would look great otherwise. and this to me looks just bad, and nothing like them.

these however I though were really nice:

..also the lighting is terrible :P
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• interest1
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
        AFV has usually been one of my favourite womens collections but this I'm not so sure about.
        I was thinking exactly the same thing.

AFV usually employ a certain level of control in their work, even when the silhouettes aren't so clean, which in turn gets communicated through the clothes as inbuilt confidence. (F/W'10 is a perfect example. swoon..)

Put another way, it makes them look like they know what they're doing. I don't get that sense here at all. This feels more like Barnum & Bailey than A.F. Vandevorst, right down to the circus ringmaster. Don't get me started on those big, black chickens..
        Last edited by interest1; 03-04-2011, 06:14 PM.
        sain't

Comment

• genevieveryoko
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by JoniF
          Much prefer the cohesiveness of F/W 2010
          That was the best, wasn't it? it would be hard for anyone to live up to that level of greatness. I miss the armor tops and military jackets that they're so good at and the clunky boots.
          http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• michael_kard
            • Oct 2010

I think this is perfect.

I wish AFV designed menswear... Or something
            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• interest1
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
              I miss the..
              You might like some of the pieces from their F/W11-12 diffusion line better. I do.
              They showed at Berlin FW, not Paris..

sain't

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                I was thinking exactly the same thing.

AFV usually employ a certain level of control in their work, even when the silhouettes aren't so clean, which in turn gets communicated through the clothes as inbuilt confidence. (F/W'10 is a perfect example. swoon..)

Put another way, it makes them look like they know what they're doing. I don't get that sense here at all. This feels more like Barnum & Bailey than A.F. Vandevorst, right down to the circus ringmaster. Don't get me started on those big, black chickens..
                it's not streamlined or sleek in the way that the recent collections have been, but it's undeniably true to one of their founding aesthetics...a skewed, disorienting, almost manic disruption of tailoring traditions that refuses conventional or expected elegance.
                more victorian asylum than circus, imo.

I think it's mostly fantastic...love your selection, lowrey.
                ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• surver
                  • Oct 2007

why does this remind me of v&r? afv used to be my favourite F designer as well... agree that the diffusion line is much more 'them'... main line looks like they're trying too hard...

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
                    • Aug 2009

AF

Footwear is as sweet as it gets...
                    modern man

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

/\ Always have been. Beside Ann, they make the most amazing women's boots.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• edhohoho
                        • Jan 2011

The coordination and shades of colors are amazing. This is the first time I have seen this designer's work, but thanks to the above members for pointing it out as the footwear really is top notch. I'm not really feeling the fan-shaped, pleated fronts on some of those tops. And I guess satin is in this season...some of the pieces have a bit too much "shine" for me.

But those examples from previous collections are really nice picks...though I really like the asymmetric wool short-jackets from the current season.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                          You might like some of the pieces from their F/W11-12 diffusion line better. I do.
                          ha, was going to say the same thing, but was too lazy. Yes, there are some great wearable pieces in here, particularly the hooded sweaters. I wanted to like the sneakers too, because I like the idea of AFV designing sneakers, but the tongue is too large and puffy. Oh well, there's always next season.
                          http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎