X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JacobChristian
    • Feb 2011

internships with designers

Just wanted to start a discussion about internships with designers. This can be a nice thread about experiences or a place to hand out advice or give pointers for anyone seeking an internship in different cities.

I interned on the production team with Thakoon in NY. I was at parsons and I really wanted to work and just be around the design process instead of focusing on my first year, which is foundation. I found a flyer at the parsons building which was seeking interns for Thakoon so I decided to just go for it. Emailed them my resume and a short letter describing myself and my ambitions. literally the next day they responded. So I went for a quick interview at their showroom in soho, and the next day I began working.

My main duties included running up to factories and speaking with garment workers on quality of the made pieces. On occasion I worked the design team, and even twice with the designer himself.

I am not really a fan of Thakoon's work, however it really was eye opening and insightful into the way the fashion industry in America works.

advice: be friendly and enthusiastic about your duties even if they suck. I've seen interns who "thought they were too good," they ended leaving quickly. Also everyone at the office is most likely stressed all the time so having a young friendly and open intern is like a breath of fresh air. This led to me working with the design team instead of my usual tiresome work, and to them offering me french chocolates, and even a place as an intern on the design team.

Also, if you need help, just ask. It's better then screwing up.
  • michael_kard
    • Oct 2010

I wish I could do this. Unfortunately there are no designers that I'm aware of where I live - the closer I can get to working in the fashion industry would be working at Hollister. Will definitely try to work in the summer though.
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• arc
      • Mar 2011

I think no one should work for free!

Comment

i think you have to give a little to get a little. you shouldn't do it if you're not getting the knowledge you want in return. You should do it for experience. I would love to intern more for good designers and companies of all scales. Independent, big companies, new companies, old companies.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by arc View Post
          I think no one should work for free!
          exactly
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
            • Oct 2010

Why is that so important? Does not taking money only mean that one works for free?
            ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
            Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
              Why is that so important? Does not taking money only mean that one works for free?
              It is important for the same reason the US higher education system is skewed in favor of the rich. If I am poor and talented, I cannot do an internship, because I need to eat and mommy and daddy aren't helping. So I cannot get into fashion not because I am not talented enough, but because I am poor.

Did you know that in the US there is a growing number of businesses where YOU pay and they get you an internship in a top company? Think about who gets those.

I am not even going to get into the word exploitation. I thought that's self-explanatory.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

that's insane!? I made a joke about that a few days ago actually. but apparently it is true. gross.

Comment

• Lane
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  It is important for the same reason the US higher education system is skewed in favor of the rich. If I am poor and talented, I cannot do an internship, because I need to eat and mommy and daddy aren't helping. So I cannot get into fashion not because I am not talented enough, but because I am poor.

Did you know that in the US there is a growing number of businesses where YOU pay and they get you an internship in a top company? Think about who gets those.

I am not even going to get into the word exploitation. I thought that's self-explanatory.
                  good point I was going to respond with the fact that its voluntary, but you are right about there being an barriers to entry for the less well off.

The only thing that I have found true to be about paid internships is that they teach you more, and give you a better representation of the industry. With payed internships they sometimes just assign you menial tasks in order to maximize efficiency for the company for every dollar they spend on you. Surprisingly non-payed interns are exploited to the fullest. I was one at a government agency, and it was no pretty picture the amount of lousy tasks I was assigned.

Universities nowadays do offer stipends for students applying to non-paying internships. So, that could be a remedy for those who can't afford to work without pay.

Comment

• JacobChristian
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post

welcome to the wonderful land of america.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                      • Feb 2008

I've said this before in another thread but i'll say it again. London auction houses actually auction unpaid work experience.

You think unpaid work experience favours the rich proportion of society?

You think buying unpaid work experience favours the rich proportion of society?

.....Then make sure that only a certain wealthy class of the populace can even access the opportunity to buy that unpaid work experience. This is just an absurdly elitist situation.

Meritocracy! Class mobility! You're kidding.
                      Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• Yan
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
                        I've said this before in another thread but i'll say it again. London auction houses actually auction unpaid work experience.

You think unpaid work experience favours the rich proportion of society?

You think buying unpaid work experience favours the rich proportion of society?

.....Then make sure that only a certain wealthy class of the populace can even access the opportunity to buy that unpaid work experience. This is just an absurdly elitist situation.

Meritocracy! Class mobility! You're kidding.
                        If this is the case then I would suggest that the places that are being auctioned off are for some of the more well known design houses. If this is so then the chances are that the "experience" gained will be of the tea making, dog walking variety but will look impressive on a CV.

I know many of my colleagues who are emerging designers who offer internships. Invariably, these will involve gaining real experience and will offer first hand experience of working directly with the designer in a very small team.

If anyone is looking for such an internship in London, I am happy to suggest a few names and more if appropriate.

Unpaid internships are very much how things are done in London, but speaking as a designer who has not come through the system, I struggle with asking people to work for nothing. From a purely pragmatic point of view, I think it is hard to expect people to give their best for no monetary reward although I understand there is a potentially valid counter argument. I always offer payment even if it means selling my clothing collection on the bay to make this happen

Comment

• Enaml
                          • Apr 2009

This article is very relevant to the discussion of unpaid interships.

Beyond speaking about socioeconomic divide between those who can afford to do unpaid interships and those who cannot, the fact that much of the US education system supports them is absolutely ridiculous. Though I have not experienced it, many friends (in the social sciences, in particular) that also attend schools in the US have completed (and received credit for) unpaid interships. This means they are paying a school for credits for working at companies, where they presumably obtain some level of experience.

I think I remember some thread where this was discussed in depth - I think that might be a better forum to discuss such things...?
                          How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• laughed
                            • Jul 2009

Back in the day I interned for a few designers - great designers that present every year, etc. No small fries. Yeah, I learned a little and it was cool and all but the best was when I got an email from Mr. Owens. I know there are a lot of Rick Owens fans on here so I will share this...
                            About 10 years ago or so I emailed Rick (I knew someone who was his classmate - this was before owenscorp.com or whatever it is now) - and told him how much I loved him and how I wanted to come work with him. I still have his response somewhere but I remember most of it word for word...about 3 weeks later I opened my inbox and there it was - a response from the man himself, the part that stood out was "Thanks for the compliments but working with me would be a waste of time. I tend to surround myself with done it forever sewing ladies and smelly builders all day. Grab a job with a good company, steal a rolodex and go for it! If I can do it you can do it!" He ended it with "Say hello to L.A. for me - R"

Comment

• homi
                              • Nov 2007

^ Amazing story

I need to surround myself with sewing ladies
                              THIRD LOOKS : http://www.thirdlooks.com
                              Internet Fame http://www.internet-fame.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰