X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JD_May
    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by zamb View Post
    Agreed. but one cannot say that julius' jackets are better because of this reason, because then it becomes a matter of aesthetics.
    This is obviously the case. At some point it becomes a matter of taste.
    there is also a view that too much detail can be seen as excessive and unnecessary..........
    Here, however, you are confusing detail with design.
    In a perfect world you could fuck people without ever giving them a piece of your heart.
    And every glittering kiss and every touch of flesh is another shard of heart you'll never see again.

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by JD_May View Post
      This is obviously the case. At some point it becomes a matter of taste.

Here, however, you are confusing detail with design.
      whatever detail(s) exist, or lack thereof..........is a part of the design, and no, I m not confusing them
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• JD_May
        • Apr 2010

I am referring to intricacies in the construction of the piece. You are referring to aspects of the design. There is overlap between the two concepts but they are distinct. Anyway, enough about that.
        In a perfect world you could fuck people without ever giving them a piece of your heart.
        And every glittering kiss and every touch of flesh is another shard of heart you'll never see again.

Comment

• upsilonkng
          • May 2010

Over the last few years I've been lucky enough to own both as most of the posters here have. Here to add to varying opinions.
          I don't think one is better than the other, I think some jackets are better than others and I'm sure someone has one tha they think is the best.
          I loved my calf Thieves Fencing jacket more than any other Rick leather because of the combination of fit and the thickness of the leather but I think the best leather I've ever had as far as the most incredible feeling is the 09 oiled calf Geo. Then again I've had this years blistered lamb and returned instantly, had an 09 lamb that was nice, and most of the Julius leathers I've tried or owned had a nice consistent thickness though almost all of it was lamb. Haven've had a chance to do the Ram or pig or whatever else.
          I did have an 08 Jut but that's different than the 09 which everyone seems to get hard about. I'll find out one day.
          I will say I've handled plenty of Rick's that I definitely didn't like and hated the feel..the 09 globa comes to mind that thing to me was dead rubber but that was $3k as well. I think if you are buying leather these are my only 2 choices everything else doesn't matter and if one's better.. they are individual pieces and do vary from one jacket to the other. the price point on these jackets are virtually the same everywhere except in Japan where Julius is cheaper... and the UK where Rick is cheaper, maybe France as well,shit maybe even in the states. There are no Julius jackets that list for under $3500 this year here and there's plenty of Rick's that do. Find one that fits you the way you'd like a jacket to fit and either will impress just about anyone except for the sz'ers.
          my opinion, can't lose either way definitely no clear winner.

Comment

• jscl
            • Jan 2010

it's gonna depend on your body type as well. anorexic dudes rock julius well but some muscle is better with RO
            JUST THE HITS

Comment

• messenoire
              • Nov 2009

i am not going into detail but i'd go with rick for both the quality of the leather used and the ability to put out clean refined designs while staying true to his overall vision. rick can do dirty and destroyed and rick can also do beautifully refined in the same breath. i am a big fan of julius but i feel that rick appeals to a far wider range of customer than julius's gothic niche clientele. i just feel rick is applicable to many looks and therefor will always get my vote.

Comment

• Aleks
                • Feb 2009

thick leather costs the same as thin leather at the leather store. At times it can be cheaper.
                my 2 cents.

Comment

• sargon97
                  • Jan 2009

Most of the differences are being sussed out well in this discussion. While Rick's leather tends to be more varied than Julius, overall I find Julius leather more delicate and likely to tear/scratch/dent. I don't know if this has to due with the quality or just how the leather is being processed. However with regard to constriction and finish, at least from and engineering perspective, I find Julius much better.

Comment

• widmerpool
                    • Nov 2010

Julius never seems to look as good IRL as in photos. RO fits my 13 inch drop a lot better.
                    http://asteroidanxiety.bandcamp.com

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
                      • Dec 2010

I've owned both and enjoyed both. The difference though is not significant enough to warrant a debate IMO, except maybe the oiled calf. But even with the fw10 stooges oiled that I owned was not any more tough or sturdy, than the Julius high neck sheep leather fw10 that I owned. That being said, the more important difference in the leathers, as AKA has stated, is the aggressiveness of the Julius leathers. It's a different aesthetic and one that takes a very specific look to pull off. I got a lot more compliments on my old Julius but never felt comfortable in it as much as the current Bauhaus that I love to death. I know I'm getting into a bit more of a subjective argument that the OP intended though.
                      "My Roll is to Rock"
                      -Jimmy Page

Comment

• sargon97
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Carpe Noctem View Post
                        I've owned both and enjoyed both. The difference though is not significant enough to warrant a debate IMO, except maybe the oiled calf. But even with the fw10 stooges oiled that I owned was not any more tough or sturdy, than the Julius high neck sheep leather fw10 that I owned. That being said, the more important difference in the leathers, as AKA has stated, is the aggressiveness of the Julius leathers. It's a different aesthetic and one that takes a very specific look to pull off. I got a lot more compliments on my old Julius but never felt comfortable in it as much as the current Bauhaus that I love to death. I know I'm getting into a bit more of a subjective argument that the OP intended though.
                        How are you defining sturdy here. Are you talking about thickness, perceived sturdiness or some experience?

Comment

• diorowen
                          • Aug 2010

my thought is they aren't comparable
                          so we can't compare them, its a matter of taste, on what's beautiful. (like recent discussion in WAYwT thread),

However, if we look only from the leather quality, I'll go with Rick Owens, construction?, Julius_7.
                          I wish they merge and create Rick owens_7. haha.

being ask which one I'd buy, I'd buy both.
                          because they both can give a different aesthetic on me.
                          still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by sargon97 View Post
                            How are you defining sturdy here. Are you talking about thickness, perceived sturdiness or some experience?
                            Both thickness and perceived sturdiness I suppose. They just both felt extremely durable. I suspect that one is obviously thicker than the other and I don't remember which one, but they both seemed sturdy and were both very very heavy.
                            "My Roll is to Rock"
                            -Jimmy Page

Comment

• Skelletor03
                              • Feb 2011

I can't speak for R.O. leathers, but the Julius F/W 09 Rider jacket in lamb leather that I own has a very substantial feel and thickness/stiffness that I haven't seen with other labels. Definitely not a delicate leather by any means and the washing and distressing on the jacket is insane.

In the end, I feel it all comes down to the aesthetic you're looking for and how comfortable you are wearing the particular styles that each designer has to offer. As others have already said, these two labels cater to slightly different crowds in terms of their overall styling, fit, and details. If you want a more sporty/futuristic/minimalist leather, then go for Rick. If you want a more goth/industrial/embellished leather, then go for Julius. With the price points being relatively the same for the two, quality of leather will be secondary to what best fits your wardrobe (and that's not to say that either label's quality and craftsmanship is sub-par).

Comment

• neonrider
                                • Jan 2008

perhaps we should expand this thread to just be "leather jackets".

as much as i <3 dick and horikawa-san, i'm a bit less than impressed with recent leather offerings from both. newer lulius ain't what it used to be, even relative to the legendary f/w 09 rider, the horizontal seams, multiple zippers, and overdone cowl-necks are awkward on almost anyone, not to mention the thinner and less intensely treated and finished leather. similarly, newer rick stuff feels a bit overdone relative to simpler, perhaps sharper, designs (stooges, bomber, etc).

i don't think there's a universal way to judge leather quality, but (based on my own experience with dick, julius, more, etc) i wouldn't say either of these is anywhere reaching superior, on almost any scheme of evaluation. on the one hand, i'd say obviously sissyp with his specialized techniques achieves something unique and compelling, if rather uncomfortable and sometimes oddly fitting. on the other, my old made in france slimane leathers just feel awesome to wear and touch, and it annoys me to no end to see kva's bland, lame designs squandering such material and technique (though i'm sure saying so will be met with howls of disapproval).

hence, i've been looking for a nice summer leather for a while now, and i can't seem to find much really inspiring or interesting. and it seems from this thread a few of us, at least, feel the same way.
                                ""assuming the economy doesn't force us to eat the rich and object-tan their hides" -- merz

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎