Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machine washing and drying a leather jacket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enaml
    • Apr 2009

Just washed my new rick owens mid collar in lamb to shrink it some... Seems to be turning out well thought it might need another day or so to dry. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on a conditioner to use on it afterwards? Couldn't find much info on this in either this or the leather care thread. Thanks.
    How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Enaml View Post
      Just washed my new rick owens mid collar in lamb to shrink it some... Seems to be turning out well thought it might need another day or so to dry. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on a conditioner to use on it afterwards? Couldn't find much info on this in either this or the leather care thread. Thanks.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• MARK
        • Jan 2011

That's very nice after washed.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
          • Oct 2010

Hi all,

I am off to wash and dry two leather jackets: a Rick Leather from 2004 in kangaroo w/ a slight sheen and a Chloé butter soft goat leather from around the same time. I don't think I've seen either kangaroo or goat treated in this thread so I felt this would be a worthwhile experiment (also, they're old jackets.)

I am also planning to wash and dry a Rick blistered lamb leather dress from '09.

I'll return with before/after photos, details regarding the washing conditions and comments on how they turned out.

Cheers,

MBD
          "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
          It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
          My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Umami
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by seenmy View Post
            might just wear my fencing in the shower on full heat,I have fear about the machine wash, and the shower is how I always treated raw denim.
            I did wash many CCP leathers as even the size 44 is too big for me.

the highest temperature you should use is 60 degree in the shower your

body can't even stand the temperature above 50 hence the result is not good.

throw your leather into the washing machine 60 degree

DON'T USE any washing detergent.

after that let it dry naturally and this will take 2 days.

in this way you may achieve the result one size smaller.

PS: horse leather will fade a lot, black will turn into dark grey. Kangaroo
            will maintain its original colour. CALB the calf leather will shrink more but it could be stretch back.

Comment

• mike
              • Dec 2006

are wavy zippers unavoidable?

Comment

• mrbeuys
                • May 2008

^ apparently so. I just washed my first ever Rick leather from 07 which was just a bit too big on me and zippers are now wavy indeed.
                BUT, the fit is perfect. Can't believe I waited so long to do this. Washed at 50º and then put in the dryer for an hour. Perfect. I was worried about the silk lining, but even that turned out fine. Highly recommended.
                Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Patroklus
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2011

You can't shrink a zipper. The only thing to do would be to remove it, wash it, and replace it. You can get some of the effects of a washed leather without shrinkage by soaking and air drying it away from heat and sunlight. Hang it in the bathroom with the fan on or hang it anywhere and point a fan at it.

Comment

• the breaks
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                    ^ apparently so. I just washed my first ever Rick leather from 07 which was just a bit too big on me and zippers are now wavy indeed.
                    BUT, the fit is perfect. Can't believe I waited so long to do this. Washed at 50º and then put in the dryer for an hour. Perfect. I was worried about the silk lining, but even that turned out fine. Highly recommended.
                    You can't do this on just any Rick leather though right, the treatment has to be a consideration surely?. Also the color ?
                    Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• comedyzen
                      • May 2009

^^^

I have now washed a reversed lamb and the Intarsia calf. Both came out wonderfully. I think the "Oiled" hides would be the only ones I wouldn't wash.

Comment

• dji
                        • Feb 2008

did you guys condition the leather after washing but before putting it in the dryer or only after the jacket was dry?

Comment

• eton97
                          • Dec 2008

i can only comment about when i washed my ccp fencing, but i put on the conditioninbg oil at the end of the whole washing/drying process......

see here for step by step description:

you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                            • Nov 2008

Yeah, I'm considering washing my Rick lamb from 04 - it's a stretched out a bit and I'd love to shrink it down a size.

MBD - post yr results!

Edit: The conditioning oil - would you want to put this on a non-washed leather jacket? What about boots? I've got some Julius leather/boots that I'd like to keep in top shape...

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                            i can only comment about when i washed my ccp fencing, but i put on the conditioninbg oil at the end of the whole washing/drying process......

see here for step by step description:

http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=12109

Comment

• comedyzen
                              • May 2009

Ham, got your PM. Do it! Here are the steps you requested (which could've been found in this thread you lazy ass! : )

Make sure it is a front loader.

1. Throw in Gentle cycle on the HOTTEST setting. Add a a teaspoon of detergent if you want to wash it. Something like Woolite.
                              2. Throw in dryer for 30-60 minutes on HIGH, if that worries you, throw in dryer for 20 minutes, air dry the rest. I think the dryer is where the most shrinkage happens. (I dried different leathers using both methods. The dryer gave me more shrinky dinky).
                              3. Condition when dry.

I always zipped and flipped inside out. My reasoning was that I didn't want the leather to rub against the metal machine and I wanted the lining cleaned. I also zipped it because I figured the leather would be less thrashed and twisted.

Would love to see before and after Ham!!!

I have/had some Julius leathers, those I wouldn't dare bring to the water. Don't know what Tatsuro does to his hides, but it seems like delicate stuff.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                                • Nov 2008

Cheers.

I read the thread once through before - I forgot someone posted the instructions, so thanks for the repost, much obliged. Did you use pecard's?

I may wait a bit til the end of winter, as an oversized leather works for me right now...but yeah, it could stand to shrink a size, for sure.

Yeah, I'd never wash my Julius - I was just wondering if I should condition the leather at all. Especially the boots - I wear those every day, I figure I should protect them somehow...

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
                                Ham, got your PM. Do it! Here are the steps you requested (which could've been found in this thread you lazy ass! : )

Make sure it is a front loader.

1. Throw in Gentle cycle on the HOTTEST setting. Add a a teaspoon of detergent if you want to wash it. Something like Woolite.
                                2. Throw in dryer for 30-60 minutes on HIGH, if that worries you, throw in dryer for 20 minutes, air dry the rest. I think the dryer is where the most shrinkage happens. (I dried different leathers using both methods. The dryer gave me more shrinky dinky).
                                3. Condition when dry.

I always zipped and flipped inside out. My reasoning was that I didn't want the leather to rub against the metal machine and I wanted the lining cleaned. I also zipped it because I figured the leather would be less thrashed and twisted.

Would love to see before and after Ham!!!

I have/had some Julius leathers, those I wouldn't dare bring to the water. Don't know what Tatsuro does to his hides, but it seems like delicate stuff.
                                Last edited by hamletpowpowpow; 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎