• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Classique
    • Apr 2008

Artist Anecdotes

Borderline gossip; I know. :)

Read a biography? An interview? Post interesting anecdotes here...

1) Woody Allen meets Ingmar Bergman - "I was shooting the film Manhattan when I first met him, at his request. Liv Ullmann was a mutual friend. She said Ingmar was in town and wanting to have dinner. It was just Ingmar and his wife and Liv Ullmann and myself in Ingmar’s hotel suite. We had a long dinner and chatted all night. I was extremely nerve-racked going up there because I expected to see this Martha Graham-style black-cloaked figure, but he was nothing like that. He was just like every other common anxiety-ridden director I know — worried about his material, worried about his grosses, worried about the projectionist making the reel changeovers on time. He was very easy to talk to."

[Martha Graham-style black-cloaked figure] <- Haha... I shared a similar misconception; Somber, as Death, from 'The Seventh Seal'

2) Sergei Prokofiev on piano lessons; The eccentric and bold traits of his character. "A rich and generous man took the young Prokofiev under his wing. The then twenty-year-old composer gave piano lessons to his sponsor's niece. Everything was going smoothly for a while. The man was happy with his protégé, and the protégé was happy with his pupil. Until she started playing Chopin's Sonata No. 3 in a way that very much displeased Prokofiev. She started playing the second theme of the Sonata's first movement like a tango. Prokofiev, utterly shocked, told her to start again. She started playing the Sonata again but, when the second theme arrived, so did the tango rhythm. Prokofiev was furious. He approached his student while she was playing, SLAPPED her and left. That was the last lesson..."
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎