X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MJRH
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
    If rebellion can be seen as a power play by the disenfranchised, then capitalism is more accurately an indicator as to who holds how much power, rather than a system to be dismantled.
    The article's whole point was that rebellion has become a power play by, not the disenfranchised, but the enfranchisement itself
    ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• DudleyGray
      • Jul 2013

Money isn't the only form of power, there are other forms of marginalization as well, other kinds of power struggles.
      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

MJRH, I am honored that you found this worthy of this thread.

I couldn't agree more at the delicious swipe at Henri Rollins and his bullshit puritan "work hard" rhetoric. I detest this with all my heart. This "hard work" bullshit is the heart of darkness that keeps the American masses in line while letting the thieves on top get away with murder.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MJRH
          • Nov 2006

^Right, and it's all the more irksome when a fat cat thinks it's a rebel. The pretenders are actually less frightening than the ones who buy their own bs.

Money isn't the only form of power, there are other forms of marginalization as well, other kinds of power struggles.
          FFS I guess I'll bite. Name one powerful person who does not have access to money who is living today.

Comment

• DudleyGray
            • Jul 2013

No, that's backwards from what I'm trying to get at. Money can't buy Bruce Jenner cultural acceptance in Alabama.

Comment

• stagename
              • Oct 2011

No, that's backwards from what I'm trying to get at. Money can't buy Bruce Jenner cultural acceptance in Alabama.
              Actually, it can. It's called marketing & advertising.

Comment

• MJRH
                • Nov 2006

Heh, oh ok got ya

But in that case, is Bruce Jenner disenfranchised, or [insert hicks]? It's an interesting question, and one I think that article half-answered well.

Again, though: if anyone here can explain why the arguments published by The Baffler are inapplicable against their own publication, I'd be indebted.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                  • Jul 2013

Power seems to be contextual, so it could be both. My point is just that there are certain contexts where rebellion is worthwhile, and the commoditization of it is irrelevant.

As for hard work, I think either luck or social cunning probably are needed as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎