• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Writing worth Reading

I just read the below essay by Jonathan Franzen in the NYT and I thought this thread would be a great addition to our forum. Post stuff that is worth reading. Please keep it high quality - articles, essays that say something about this world.

Franzen on liking versus loving.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Alternative theory of the origins of the universe
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Classique
      • Apr 2008

Poverty, facts | stats.

This part of the globalissues.org web site presents some of the hard hitting facts and statistics on poverty.

Comment

• MJRH
        • Nov 2006

The Triumph of the Humanities, by Stanley Fish

An apparently empirical project like geography is, and always has been, interpretive through and through. “The map has always been a political agent”(Lize Mogel), has always had a “generative power” (Emily Eliza Scott), and that power can only be released and studied by those who approach their work in the manner of literary critics. Geography “demands a reader who is at once an archeologist, geologist and geographer, a reader who … is at all times attentive to the stratification of history, memory, language, and landscape and who can read obliquely through their layers” (Peta Mitchell).

What this all suggests is that while we have been anguishing over the fate of the humanities, the humanities have been busily moving into, and even colonizing, the fields that were supposedly displacing them.
        ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• trentk
          • Oct 2010

THE PANCAKE PEOPLE, OR, "THE GODS ARE POUNDING MY HEAD"

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/fore...n05_index.html
          "But today, I see within us all (myself included) the replacement of complex inner density with a new kind of self-evolving under the pressure of information overload and the technology of the "instantly available". A new self that needs to contain less and less of an inner repertory of dense cultural inheritance—as we all become "pancake people"—spread wide and thin as we connect with that vast network of information accessed by the mere touch of a button."
          "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• interest1
            • Nov 2008

The article itself may not qualify as brilliant, but just how sweet (and hilarious) justice
            can be – if you pursue it – does.
            sain't

Comment

• Liquid
              • Jul 2009

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society. -MT

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

The insidious evils of 'like' culture
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

/\ Funny, thought just that when somebody "liked" my Dries van Noten article within 30 seconds of me posting it on FB. I, too, thought, well, it would've been nicer if you actually read it. Although maybe the person first liked it and then read it, who knows.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mortalveneer
                    • Jan 2008

Not to defend the "like" (or google +1) culture overmuch, but maybe they'd already read it?

and not to derail the thread entirely:

Ernest Hemingway, ca. 1939. Photograph by Lloyd Arnold HEMINGWAY You go to the races?   INTERVIEWER Yes, occasionally.   HEMINGWAY Then you read the Racing Form ... There you have the true art of fiction.   —Conversation in a Madrid cafe, May, 1954   Ern...
                    Last edited by mortalveneer; 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM.
                    I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

The Death of Ideas in Contemporary World

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nikov
                        • Nov 2008

Stop Coddling the Super-Rich by Warren Buffett

Comment

• trentk
                          • Oct 2010

http://edge.org/conversation/next-step-infinity

I apologize for posting 2 edge.org essays, but its a golden resource.

Not to mention, I have to rep my hometown, and this is disturbing:

"Another key aspect of infinity is that it is so much larger than anything finite. In particular, an infinite system including some randomness will tend to contain infinitely many realizations of any given finite subsystem compatible with the properties of the infinite one. This means that if we reside in an infinite bubble, then somewhere (incredibly far away) within it is another copy of the entire Earth, perfect in every detail. On a more personal level, there are infinitely many identical copies of you, as well as infinitely many of every possible small or large variation of you, some more common than others. What does this mean? If these other people are identical to you, are they you? What is your relation to them? If you were to suddenly cease to exist, should you take heart that “you” continue merrily along out there? Or would “you” simply find yourself to be one of them? (Beware: This possibility becomes more and more disturbing the more you think about it.)"
                          "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

TLDR, but I find it odd to see infinity as the infinite replication of something finite. shouldn't infinity be the non-existence of the finite. the question of the coexistence of both cannot possibly be resolved by such an idea as replication, even identical (if there could even be such a thing as perfect replication outside theory). and anyway, the whole sky is encompassed in single a rain drop or whatever, so the fact that you see the sky reflected identically in myriad raindrops, doesn't mean there are myriad identical skies. I forgot where I was going with this, but if you are smarter than me you'll get it

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

How David Foster Wallace helped the very language he wanted to see killed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎