• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

Rick Owens Men's SS12 Paris

MORE SHOW PHOTOS HERE

(figure it's better to wait posting images until there are some better quality ones available...)

diggin the loose drapey bottom vs. structured top thing going on in the styling of this collection. great blazers obviously. and the mélange fabrics and lighter shades look nice and cool for summer. some of those sleeveless kaftans/dresses look maad comfy. guess it's time to grow some bigger balls for next spring.

not a lot of pants or leather to be seen here. seems rick thinks it's brand revitalization time...
    Last edited by Shucks; 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM.
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Was apprehensive from the 'preview' image but I have to say that I absolutely love this collection. I've got to get to work so I'll comment more later but just wanted to say again - really, really great.
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

dear lord, the only pieces I would wear are the ones that are repeats of seasons past. this is the most fashion victimy collection I've seen from rick, almost like s/s 08 raf simons. the cataract sunglasses aren't helping and call me old fashioned but I am just not ready for a full on dress. Very disappointing for me.

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
        the cataract sunglasses aren't helping and call me old fashioned but I am just not ready for a full on dress.
        hey man, you have enough leathers now - time to take it to another level.

Comment

• MikeN
          • Nov 2007

Here's a video I shot from the finale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snoj4JnYI6Q

Comment

• kunk75
            Banned
            • May 2008

^haha. If anything, this collection made me realize that for me, rick is mostly about leathers, tees, jeans or diaper pants and boots. obviously that is my take, but if this new collection is any indication, I hope I am not alone.

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

yah, i'm comfortable in drop crotches and a leather too but i'm sure that's still gonna be there for the buyers. i'd think this is more of a statement and a real push for the more formal tailored pieces, which i think is fair, since they are getting really nice. honestly, i've already looked at adding some more of that, and apart from that there are some nice long sleeveless knits (?) too...

maybe it's 'fashiony' to think this way, but personally i don't mind rick shaking things up a bit sometimes. i'd hate for what he does to trickle down too much into the mainstream.

but agree on the lack of aggression. a bit mellow this, even with skirts...

Comment

• kunk75
                Banned
                • May 2008

^my biggest issue is that I always felt his audience was best defined among designers and I don't get that with this collection.

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

hm.. i dunno. i'm not getting the wtf that i got from raf's change of direction. this still looks totally rick to me, just it's not the leather/swinger pant (or sneaker for that matter) side of it. also, i kinda think even a 'well-defined' audience will consist of different types of people liking the same thing for different reasons, so any change of focus will appeal more to some in that audience than others, but not necessarily seem like so much of a change to everybody.

but i can see why you'd feel a bit cheated. brand loyalty should be rewarded also...

Comment

• kunk75
                    Banned
                    • May 2008

^was just so impressed with f/w (aside from the peek a boo belly coats) and this seems more like a woman's collection. really no hint of masculinity for me

Comment

• mrbeuys
                      • May 2008

Unsurprisingly I think this is all gorgeous. Especially for a S/S collection from him this is finally doing what I have been waiting for. A proper collection, serious but still eccentric without the need to resort to cheap tricks. I admit, the glasses made my heart sink a bit, not because I don't like them (they look like carbon copies of the Porsche designed Carrera shades from the 80s which Yoko Ono used to sport), but because it feels like one of these things he wasn't going to do. Like jewellery and perfume and ads.
                      This feels en par with his recent Women's offerings for S/S and as much as I love the dropcrotch and tanktop look, this is so much more confident and risky. Leathers will always be there, no question.
                      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• kunk75
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

i agree

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                        This feels en par with his recent Women's offerings for S/S .

Comment

• darkbydesign
                          • Sep 2010

Personally, I also think it's nice to see something different from Rick. I am a huge fan of these skirts and wear stuff like this at least on a weekly basis, so I'm in. Also, I love the shirt meets formal jacket look and have been rocking that since CDGH+ released less flowy male skirts in the last 90s. Also the geometric patters are classic rick made from classic Rick jersey prints and colors so that is indeed a continuation from his previous collections.

While there's nothing Earth shattering about the collection, I'd rock most of the skirts and jackets and I'm sure there's more texture and detail on those jackets up close.

I say thank God for the lack of redundant Rick leather jackets. If you need another leather jacket, get a Julius or Obscur one. Rick's leather jackets were best 2-5 years ago IMO, and there are hundreds of styles of those to dig up online.

Comment

• kunk75
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

^ i am not missing the leathers, I couldn't possibly by another.

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                              I admit, the glasses made my heart sink a bit, not because I don't like them (they look like carbon copies of the Porsche designed Carrera shades from the 80s which Yoko Ono used to sport), but because it feels like one of these things he wasn't going to do. Like jewellery and perfume and ads.
                              i second this. a LOT. even though they fit stylewise (for me, as i've tried to argue before, there's an element of thrash / speed metal in rick...), it's bullshit, especially if they will be licensed to safilo/luxottica/marchon or some shit like that. god, i can just imagine the idiots i'll see in these come next summer....

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                              ^ i am not missing the leathers, I couldn't possibly by another.
                              ...and i call bullshit on this too.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎