Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theaddict
    • Apr 2008

Every season the same discussion, boooring...honestly I couldn't care less by now...I guess one reason why Boris got rid of the strings was the same DAmir comparison a couple of seasons ago, but some people just don't want to stop projecting something in the runway pics they hold for the truth...anyone who tried and touched individual DAmir/Rick/Boris pieces in real life can vouch for the fact that these are totally different brands/designers/aesthetic...at least in our SZ point of view...not for my mum of course...
    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• moderninc2010
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by theaddict View Post
      ...anyone who tried and touched individual DAmir/Rick/Boris pieces in real life can vouch for the fact that these are totally different brands/designers/aesthetic...
      very true!

Comment

• Darklands
        Banned
        • Nov 2008

Boris/Damir

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Yeah, I think at this point it's safe to say they are doing very different things.
        they always were - sophisticated customers have always seen this. sadly there are some some people still droning on about this same tired, misguided theme, despite any lack of evidence to support this.

today, Boris and Damir could not be further apart. the Boris/Rick comparisions simply puzzle me - in most part i think made by people that have never actually seen the product.

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

I've never seen BBS in person. I gave the man and label the benefit of the doubt and looked up some other collections, and they're much better. But this collection, right here, the one we're discussing, is just derivative and repetitive.

Instead of slyly calling me unsophisticated and treating this like an argument you have to win in defense of God King Boris, you could consider elucidating the subtleties to me.

Comment

• christianef
            • Feb 2009

im not sure which is more boring and predictable, the proverbial 'it looks like every thing else, who cares' debate which tends to surround BBS or actually just BBS. perhaps the same argument continually lends itself because the line is continually uninspired and underwhelming. even if it feels different in a showroom in personal, who cares. personally what separates BBS from other lines it associates with is i fail to see the point in wanting to dress like this at all. and i wouldn't even really dismiss that as the fault of the runway presentation. it seems like this brand came into fruition out of simple market popularity for this alleged aesthetic and those who are affectionate towards it followed the same pattern. rick and damir would have happened either way this line seems aimed towards people who dont really know what they are talking about and they identify with this because it too is for the most part aimless.

Comment

• Oh weh mir
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
              Instead of slyly calling me unsophisticated and treating this like an argument you have to win in defense of God King Boris, you could consider elucidating the subtleties to me.
              1.) I don't believe anyone was accusing you of being unsophisticated. I took the comment to be a showing of respect to customers who have purchased Boris's work from darklands in the past and while doing so have discussed some of their reasons for being drawn to his work, the more distinctive and unique aspects of his garments being one of them.

2.) Boris is not God King, that would be Leto Atreides II. You must be confused.

3.) You seek elucidation of subtleties without admitting to understanding the broader points. What you offhandedly refer to as subtleties are most likely not subtleties at all, rather they are blatant elements of a designer's collection that you are either choosing not to recognize or are lacking the perspective to do so.

4.) This IS an argument, a fair amount of discussions on this forum are arguments. Arguments are not necessarily bad, but that does not mean that there are not bad arguments.
              Originally posted by AVALANCHE
              is this an example of how not to wear ccp?

Comment

• Patroklus
                Banned
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Oh weh mir View Post
                3.) You seek elucidation of subtleties without admitting to understanding the broader points. What you offhandedly refer to as subtleties are most likely not subtleties at all, rather they are blatant elements of a designer's collection that you are either choosing not to recognize or are lacking the perspective to do so.
                I don't actually think there are any. I was being nice.

Comment

• Oh weh mir
                  • Oct 2008

No, Patroklus, Q asking me to have his children is nice.

Patronizing someone who disagrees with you is not. It is nothing more than you being facetious. Though I may be one of the least civil posters here, I've still managed to keep from being referred to by the pejorative term for a women's cunt.
                  ----
                  Anyway, I don't think that this is a particularly strong collection, I haven't seen anything here I would like to purchase or praise. This is probably due to the presentation, as I agree with faust that his work has always been better suited to the showroom setting and tends to sort of train wreck on the runway. I do have to remark on the sleeveless cardigan, which appears to be a reiteration of the one he did back in 09, essentially a large three dimensional bubble. I've been awaiting its return.

Anyway, it is entirely possible that after two collections marked by heavier price tags and a lot of good and not so good experimentation this may simply be too soon for Boris to deliver on the same level. It wouldn't be the first time, and things always seem to look a little better around the time pieces start popping up in stores.
                  Originally posted by AVALANCHE
                  is this an example of how not to wear ccp?

Comment

• Patroklus
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2011

Let's take a step back.

Originally posted by you
                    rather they are blatant elements of a designer's collection that you are either choosing not to recognize or are lacking the perspective to do so.
                    What are they? A lot of people have been telling me that this collection has a thing that makes a good, and none of them have told me what it is yet.

Comment

• theaddict
                      • Apr 2008

Strange, I have the exact opposite feeling. Almost60% of my wardrobe consists of BBS, the rest is mostly CCP and individual items by other designers. I still remember the first season when I first tried on a pair if BBS pants and couldnt believe that finally someone had done a pant which fits my chicken legs in a way that I feel comfortable. Unlike DAmir he uses stiff and rough fabrics which keep the shape even with movement. The fabric choice is also totally different from CCP who is also known for his stiffer fabrics. The dead end and spiral jeans might be stiff but the denim hugs the leg like a ... Well ... Jeans. Looked ridiculous on me. I literally know no other brand which provides pants I would wear without hesitation...especially not Rick, most of his pants ate also free flowing (not talking about jeans), for example the basketball pants or any other pant I have tried on so far for darklands...
                      Cant speak about the new collection since I havent seen anything yet, but I am very looking forward to the new aw one...

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                      im not sure which is more boring and predictable, the proverbial 'it looks like every thing else, who cares' debate which tends to surround BBS or actually just BBS. perhaps the same argument continually lends itself because the line is continually uninspired and underwhelming. even if it feels different in a showroom in personal, who cares. personally what separates BBS from other lines it associates with is i fail to see the point in wanting to dress like this at all. and i wouldn't even really dismiss that as the fault of the runway presentation. it seems like this brand came into fruition out of simple market popularity for this alleged aesthetic and those who are affectionate towards it followed the same pattern. rick and damir would have happened either way this line seems aimed towards people who dont really know what they are talking about and they identify with this because it too is for the most part aimless.
                      Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• Sombre
                        • Jan 2009

While I like this collection, I wouldn't say it's particularly great, as it looks to me like a "best of Boris" collection. I see several items (almost every one actually) that are very similar or near carbon copies of items he has previously done, mainly in 2009.

This routine of criticizing BBS every season for ripping designer under the sun continually puzzles me. I just don't see him drawing from the same well as Riick Owens and Damir Doma. As theaddict pointed out, BBS's clothes keep their shape a lot better than Damir's, The former's aren't as flowy or voluminous. To me, movement on the body is a large part of Rick's and Damir's work. With BBS on the other hand, the garment is what it is, on the rack or the body. It's not meant to constrict or confine the wearer like CCP, but there is a clear distinction between garment and wearer with BBS.

Admittedly I don't see the label as directional as Rick Owens or as conceptually defined as CCP, but it's far from aimless, as christianef is suggesting. And to say consumers buy the label because they themselves are clueless and aimless is just insulting. Look through the collections, or Darklands' offering, which encompasses several seasons of BBS's work, and like theaddict mentioned, you'll see a unifying characteristic: garments that don't necessarily need a wearer. However, by also making sure the garment does not constrict the wearer, the designer is able to project his vision without forcing it on the consumer.
                        An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                        I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• christianef
                          • Feb 2009

dude makes a badass garment sac. we can all agree.

Comment

• Lane
                            • Aug 2010

cjbreed hit the nail on the head a while ago, dont get why people view these collections as simple rehashes. Boris does his own thing and its so very distinct when you sit these garments side to side from each other.

His pants/jeans are insanely different from say Julius denim/pants. Also, RO? what could possibly be similar...

Comment

• casem
                              • Sep 2006

This argument seems to be the result of the perpetual argument over fashion vs. clothes vs. design. Is the brand identity formed through fashion shows, ads, or the garments themselves on the racks? I think most of us take fashion shows to be some kind of artistic statement of purpose. Taken from this perspective, Boris doesn't seem to have anything to say and thus the same criticisms crop up season after season (yes the criticism gets old but it continues to be valid). The defense that the clothes are great in person is valid in defending why BBS should exist at all, but it doesn't change the evaluation of the presentation of the brand. BBS could pursue methods other than the runway to convey his point of view (CCP does an excellent job of this with his (non)marketing) but I'm not sure he has one. Since he chooses the runway for now, it should be open for critique.

This is why I don't think fashion can be an art, when someone like Rick makes a strong visual statement, there are immediately questions of is it wearable? can I buy it and put it to use? etc.
                              music

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                                i it seems like this brand came into fruition out of simple market popularity for this alleged aesthetic and those who are affectionate towards it followed the same pattern. rick and damir would have happened either way this line seems aimed towards people who dont really know what they are talking about and they identify with this because it too is for the most part aimless.
                                Sometimes i do wonder where you get your ideas from.
                                BBS showed his first collection under his own name in Barcelona on a Runway in 07 believe(if i remember correctly he started a small label after graduating or whilst still @ uni). The same season that Damir showed his first SS collection.
                                So i don't know how on earth you got the idea that he started the label to capitalise on growing/popular aesthetic.
                                BBS has stayed very true and similar throughout, whilst if you compare DD's first collection, to what he is doing now, in such a short time has changed quite alot (granted the same shapes and pieces pop up even in the latest collections, just a tad slimmer and in more "luxe" fabrics.

As for your last sentence...... maybe you should invest in a few pieces yourself in this case.....
                                merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎