X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
    even though it was a hassle to get the urls just for the nowness photos, i've replaced them with even better ones now. you're welcome, mike...

Comment

• moderninc2010
      • Jan 2011

Not a bad collection (a few nice pieces here and there), but I cannot say I am excited about the work of DD anymore as his stuff started to conform to the rest of the Paris runway since fw11.

Comment

• messenoire
        • Nov 2009

DD posted a small statement about the collection today than can be found here http://damirdoma.paperrain.com/?p=1870

Comment

• several_girls
          • Nov 2010

I really like this! It's very reminiscent of Raf as Kunk mentioned, especially Raf's S/S 2009.

Very sober, mature, subtle, understated. Most of the clothes drape onto the body instead of imposing a silhouette, this is something I've always liked about DD's work. It feels very natural and unaffected. I could do without the gold and the squares strapped onto the chest, but I dig the other straps, even if just on the runway. It gives the look a little edge to it, a little BDSM/punk.

It's also interesting the way DD chooses to connect two different parts of a piece of clothing. He's said before that buttons and zippers break a possible wholeness of a piece of clothing, but uses them when necessary. I like the harness/belt solution for the blazer. He might be reaching, but I find it original. Maybe Raf or Helmut Lang did it first, I dunno. Somebody help me out on this one.

The hickory stripe is a bit odd but I don't think it's completely unplaced. Not as exciting as his previous collections, but more wearable than his usual blanket-sized tailoring.

Comment

• mrbeuys
            • May 2008

Originally posted by several_girls View Post
            Maybe Raf or Helmut Lang did it first, I dunno.
            Helmut did when Damir was still in school.
            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

lol. even the press release is confusing...

according to the text the mesh knits are paper yarn. i thought they would be leather (like the ones for fall). cool. and that second look actually are dungarees ('overalls') and i like them!

i think this is a collection i'm not really gonna get to grips with until i actually try the stuff on instore. there's just too much going on and too many odd details i have to see firsthand to see if i like them or if they just mess up some good cuts.

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

is there still a kind of frenzy around his show and showroom like i think there once was? i would imagine not...
                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

I like the questions he's asking, not sure how fond I am of the answers.
                  WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• several_girls
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                    Helmut did when Damir was still in school.
                    That sounds nice rhetorically, but getting there first doesn't make Helmut the best, nor is it Damir's fault he was born when he was.

This is splitting hairs, but Helmut seems to have done the straps and harnesses for the sake of decoration or chic, while Damir's buckle across the blazer is an alternative to buttons, motivated by a desire to preserve the "wholeness" of a garment.

Comment

• Patroklus
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2011

I don't see any cinched garments that aren't also buttonable. I think you're reaching here.

Comment

• DiabloXVIII
                        • Jan 2011

Love the grey low boots. Definetely cop those.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by several_girls View Post
                          That sounds nice rhetorically, but getting there first doesn't make Helmut the best, nor is it Damir's fault he was born when he was.

This is splitting hairs, but Helmut seems to have done the straps and harnesses for the sake of decoration or chic, while Damir's buckle across the blazer is an alternative to buttons, motivated by a desire to preserve the "wholeness" of a garment.
                          Helmut doesn't own the straps, but the thing is, for anyone who knows the history of fashion, those straps are unmistakeably his. They have just acquired that association, the way orange buttons have become a CdG signature. As a designer, I would try to avoid them.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Pumpfish
                            • Sep 2010

This collection looks like it was actually designed for hot weather. With so many collections becoming a-seasonal, I like this.
                            spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎