Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I WASHED MY CCP FENCING LEATHER....DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eton97
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
    so the kalb leather is really just terrible. is that the consensus?
    all just a ploy to help you relist your juicy for $10k
    you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• Wiggles
      • Sep 2008

not to start a new conversation here, but i've been researching leather washing since my previous post here, and i'm thinking more and more that i want to do it with my blistered lamb intarsia jacket.
      concerns:
      it's white - bleeding issues?
      it's blistered - thin leather/sueded feeling not suited for machine wash/dry?

i also saw a little how to on hand washing leather (here) and i'm wondering if i should hand wash it instead, since it's so thin. since a lot of the shrinking happens in the dryer, wouldn't it make sense to hand wash (like the link above outlines) and then throw it in the dryer for a few minutes? any thoughts appreciated

Comment

• AKA*NYC
        • Nov 2007

^ wiggles take your jacket to a place called superior leather in nyc and have it "professionally" cleaned. it should shrink as a result. i took a pair of leather pants there and they went down two sizes. it's a bit pricey but worth the money since it will save you the headache. i'm pretty sure they do a wet-dry cleaning type treatment. tell them that you don't mind the shrinkage and they can probably accelerate whatever it is they do so it shrinks even more.
        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• eton97
          • Dec 2008

wiggles - here's a good place to start - its where i started my research

Showcase and discuss student and DIY work, your educational experience in fashion.

Comment

• Wiggles
            • Sep 2008

thanks for the link, eton. still just worried about ruining the blistering finish, since no one seems to have washed a jacket like mine before. any experts care to weight in?

edit: thanks to aka as well - i gave superior a call since i've used them before, and asked about the cleaning/shrinking or anything they suggested. they said that shrinkage isn't really assured in the cleaning process, and recommended i use their tailor who happened to leave today for a 2 week vacation. oh no! i was then referred to slate tailors/cleaners by a friend, since she was afraid i'd ruin the texture of the jacket by washing it. i guess now i have some options to weigh.
            Last edited by Wiggles; 06-27-2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• orphée
              • Apr 2008

I myself recently machine washed a leather Augusta jacket as it had become spotted after wearing it in the rain. This was a strange case, as the jacket was labled as black but the colour was green-grey, until it came out of the washing maching, at which point it was jet black. So I think there must have been an issue with the dye, or that the dye had never properly set. Until now, I hope.

I used the washing machine's 'hand wash/cold water' setting.

At any rate, the result was a somewhat tighter fit and very, very stiff leather, perhaps exacerbated by the paper-thinness of the leather itself. I laid it out to dry and oiled it up time and time again in the days thereafter. It is now pliable enough to wear without feeling boxed in, and it should loosen up with repeated wear. The only down side was that the leather grease started seeping through to the inside and to the thin cotton lining. Other than that, I was quite pleased with the results.

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

you wont ruin the finish, my only concern would be the issue of bleeding with the colors

I am using blistered lamb this season for Shirts and a blazer and i washed them for the collection without damaging the texture at all
                even though mine was a hand was and not by machine...........I cannot tell you anything about bleeding because ive never done multiple Colors within the same garment

Originally posted by Wiggles View Post
                thanks for the link, eton. still just worried about ruining the blistering finish, since no one seems to have washed a jacket like mine before. any experts care to weight in?
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Wiggles
                  • Sep 2008

alright! thanks zam - it's not a multicolored jacket (god forbid), i was just worried about other leftover dyes in the machine bleeding into the leather, but if i handwash it i don't see any problem there. so i'll probably hand wash it in somewhat hot water tonight, let it dry out and condition it afterwards. i'll update you all once it's underway

Comment

• eckblk
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                    this thread = instant legend
                    +1

D, looks good.

I think Agent L washed his fencing too ( a while back)

Comment

• philip nod
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                      all just a ploy to help you relist your juicy for $10k
                      go on then!
                      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• chomeo
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                        it would never have shrunk a size.....
                        right. I meant just the "washed" effects which is real cool!

Comment

• Patroklus
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2011

Has anyone ever tried washing a heavy riding jacket? There's a perfecto at the thrift store that's a bit too large. My biggest concern is that the leather won't be sturdy enough to save me in a spill.

Comment

• Atom
                            • Sep 2009

Oh man, looking good!

Was your fencing originally size 48 or 50?

Comment

• nadir
                              • May 2011

Looks so much better on you now! Still, not something I'd try at home

Comment

• eton97
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Atom View Post
                                Oh man, looking good!

Was your fencing originally size 48 or 50?
                                cheers atom.....its was originally a sz48, but came up very big against my sz48 classic in horse. As i took a sz46 in the current season high neck bison, i've come to the conclusion i'm actually a sz46, and that the classic in horse (my first jacket) is a very very small sz48.....

my fencing now fits like a sz46....the shoulders on all 3 are exactly the same width on the hangers..

Originally posted by nadir View Post
                                Looks so much better on you now! Still, not something I'd try at home
                                cheers buddy.....it was an act of desperation...chips all in

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎