X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

yay! glad you liked it. for the most part, that collection doesn't lack in terms of longevity of strength. frankly, I can only think of one oud scent that doesn't last forever!
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• PandorasFate
      • Apr 2014

There is absolutely nowhere to find good fragrance within 100 miles of where I live, and buying over the web feels dodgy. I've worn Black Orchid for a very long time, but I want to move on. Recommendations in a similar vein? I like its truffle/fig/oriental notes. I tried bvlgari Jasmin Noir, but it went very sweet on the drydown, and I felt I smelled like a brothel...
      “Budget the luxuries first.”
      ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Smelling like a brothel can be a good thing....as with Putains Des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange ($$) (smells more of violets and leather).

Maybe order some samples from Luckyscent.com or Aedes.com? Both have great selections.

Random suggestions - Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle ($$$); Feminite du Bois by Serge Lutens ($$); Rose Poivree by The Different Company ($$); Palisander by Comme Des Garcons ($$); Coromandel by Chanel ($$$); Memoir Woman by Amouage ($$$).
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• PandorasFate
          • Apr 2014

Dane, would you please give me your opinion on Montale Dark Oud as well, if you've nosed it? You seem to know EVERYTHING about fragrance, it is most impressive. I eagerly await the samples of what you have already suggested, but I'm considering a few Montale samps in addition.
          “Budget the luxuries first.”
          ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

I can't recall if I've tried Dark Aoud...but for the most-part, Montale's collection all blur together. I've read that it the only difference from most of the others in the collection is the lack of rose.

Comment

• Graeth
              • Jan 2013

My personal favourite is Diptyque's Philosykos. It has such a lovely deep warm scent, with the smell of sharp greenery on top.

Comment

• illusion
                • Jan 2013

Serge's Jeaux de Peau is very cozy, although it's a love-it-or-hate-it type frag.

Comment

• Verdandi
                  • Mar 2012

I've been thingking of posting this over at the men's section, but since we have a thread for all the wonderful things concerning fragrance here as well (which has been neglected in the past year):

Has aynone heard about Shiseido buying back the Lutens trademark? Didn't he just buy the original line from them a couple of years ago himself? Serge is not getting any younger, so that may be the reason why, but it stil seems to be an odd move to me.

Speaking of Serge: I am disappointed with La Religieuse. I recieved a sample a few weeks ago and this is a soapy, light jasmine. Not unpleasent, but I hold Serge Lutens to higher standards than that.

And then I have been obsessed with Nahema for the last year or so. Which is the strangest thing as I don't care much for rose fragrances in general and even less for those that are so pungent. I never even thought about trying it before. Now I could kick myself because this one of the most gorgeous fragrances ever to me. It is brazen, loud and dramatic. Where has this been all my life?
                  lavender menace

Comment

• Shifts
                    • Jul 2013

This confused me as well, since I have been under the impression that Serge Lutens always was a branch under the Shiseido family tree. I've never been so good with who owns what though. If someone could clear this up it would be nice.

Comment

• Mezeinee
                      • Apr 2015

A lady's fragrance that I purchased about 5 months ago is
                      simply called 'Carven Le Parfum' and it looks like this:

It is a very flowery feminine scent. But not sweet or too girly. I think it is a good every day scent for women in their 20-30s who value a light and not so heavy overwhelming fragrance.

I tried it in the Voo Store in Berlin Kreuzberg and then purchased it from amazon.co.uk.

Also, I very much recommend this perfume:

It is a scent by Balenciaga Paris and smells similar to the Carven I mentioned above.
                      Last edited by Mezeinee; 06-09-2015, 08:48 AM. Reason: the pictures were not uploaded properly
                      https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

Hi all !
                        Unfortunately, my husbant hates the smell of Oud Ispahan, so I'm not wearing it anymore . Seems like a shame to waste it since it's such a great scent. If anyone is interested in a barely used bottle, still with box, pm me and I will mail it to you at a low price.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Reposting here

Floriental by CDG

One of the most original scents I've laid my nose on. Really good.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• trentk
                            • Oct 2010

"Step by step, [perfume's] history followed that of our language. The perfumed Louis XIII style, composed of elements highly prized at that time, of iris powder, musk, chive and myrtle water already designated under the name of "water of the angels," was hardly sufficient to express the cavalier graces, the rather crude tones of the period which certain sonnets of Saint-Amand have preserved for us. Later, with myrrh and olibanum, the mystic odors, austere and powerful, the pompous gesture of the great period, the redundant artifices of oratorial art, the full, sustained harmonious style of Bossuet and the masters of the pulpit were almost possible. Still later, the sophisticated, rather bored graces of French society under Louis XV, more easily found their interpretation in the almond which in a manner summed up this epoch; then, after the ennui and jadedness of the first empire, which misused Eau de Cologne and rosemary, perfumery rushed, in the wake of Victor Hugo and Gautier, towards the Levant. It created oriental combinations, vivid Eastern nosegays, discovered new intonations, antitheses which until then had been unattempted, selected and made use of antique nuances which it complicated, refined and assorted. It resolutely rejected that voluntary decrepitude to which it had been reduced by the Malesherbes, the Boileaus, the Andrieuxes and the Baour-Lormians, wretched distillers of their own poems.

But this language had not remained stationery since the period of 1830. It had continued to evolve and, patterning itself on the progress of the century, had advanced parallel with the other arts. It, too, had yielded to the desires of amateurs and artists, receiving its inspiration from the Chinese and Japanese, conceiving fragrant albums, imitating the Takeoka bouquets of flowers, obtaining the odor of Rondeletia from the blend of lavender and clove; the peculiar aroma of Chinese ink from the marriage of patchouli and camphor; the emanation of Japanese Hovenia by compounds of citron, clove and neroli.

Des Esseintes studied and analyzed the essences of these fluids, experimenting to corroborate their texts. He took pleasure in playing the role of a psychologist for his personal satisfaction, in taking apart and re-assembling the machinery of a work, in separating the pieces forming the structure of a compound exhalation, and his sense of smell had thereby attained a sureness that was all but perfect.

Just as a wine merchant has only to smell a drop of wine to recognize the grape, as a hop dealer determines the exact value of hops by sniffing a bag, as a Chinese trader can immediately tell the origin of the teas he smells, knowing in what farms of what mountains, in what Buddhistic convents it was cultivated, the very time when its leaves were gathered, the state and the degree of torrefaction, the effect upon it of its proximity to the plum-tree and other flowers, to all those perfumes which change its essence, adding to it an unexpected touch and introducing into its dryish flavor a hint of distant fresh flowers; just so could Des Esseintes, by inhaling a dash of perfume, instantly explain its mixture and the psychology of its blend, and could almost give the name of the artist who had composed and given it the personal mark of his individual style."

Huysmans, A Rebours, chp 10. (full text free here: http://www.victorianweb.org/decadence/huysmans/10.html).
                            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Verdandi
                              • Mar 2012

Would anyone in France be willing to proxy some items from the Guerlain and Chanel online shops for me? They don't sell online here and the fragrances I am looking for are always sold out at the local Chanel Boutique and Guerlain counter. Any help would be much appreciated.
                              lavender menace

Comment

• galia
                                • Jun 2009

I'll do it! PM me if you want

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎