X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rider
    eyes of the world
    • Jun 2009

SL Gardenia OMG I will have to try that because i adore Chanel Gardenia and we have a plant outside that is pure heaven and in full bloom right now.

please lmk when its released.

Comment

• J_J
      • Apr 2008

Anyone tried Hilde Soliani's perfumes?

Some are gimmicky (remind me of costly Demeter perfumes) but I must say Dolcissssimo ended up smelling wonderful on my skin.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by J_J View Post
        Anyone tried Hilde Soliani's perfumes?

Some are gimmicky (remind me of costly Demeter perfumes) but I must say Dolcissssimo ended up smelling wonderful on my skin.
        You hit the nail on the head..."smells" more than perfumes. I've not smelled them all though. Not far from that weirdo CB I Hate Perfume stuff...a few great scents, the rest, strange smells.

I always wonder why some perfumes don't spend more time perfecting a good idea, rather than bottling-up every single idea they have.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Verdandi
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Dane View Post
          Don't know much about the new SL yet. They only seem to be promoting the sandalwood at the moment. Gardenia is a favourite of mine, so I'm anxiously awaiting it as well, although I doubt it could trump TF Velvet Gardenia.
          I tried the Sandalwood and it's nice. I wouldn't buy a full bottle but I like the chocolate.
          I am so excited for the SL gardenia, the copy sounds so promising. I'm even thinking of just ordering it as soon as it becomes available at the web store. Then again, copies always sound good and the last time I fell for it I ended up with De Profundis which is meh.
          lavender menace

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Verdandi View Post
            I tried the Sandalwood and it's nice. I wouldn't buy a full bottle but I like the chocolate.
            I am so excited for the SL gardenia, the copy sounds so promising. I'm even thinking of just ordering it as soon as it becomes available at the web store. Then again, copies always sound good and the last time I fell for it I ended up with De Profundis which is meh.
            SL is too hit-or-miss for me...I'll never buy blind.

ps - was reading old review of Sticky Cake and forgot about the prominent incense/myrrh note...maybe that was turning you off?
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Verdandi
              • Mar 2012

SL is too hit-or-miss for me...I'll never buy blind.

ps - was reading old review of Sticky Cake and forgot about the prominent incense/myrrh note...maybe that was turning you off?
              Hit-or-miss, definetley. His latest offerings ddn't really do it for me (except Serge Noire but that might be because it smells like church to me).

I read in a review for the sticky cake that is smelled like church, that's why I was so excited in the first place. Still, all I get after a while is men cologne. I guess the Sticky Cake and I just weren't meant to be.

May I ask your opinion on the Heremessence line? The only one I've tried is the Amber and I loved it. Are the other ones worth checking out?
              lavender menace

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Verdandi View Post
                Hit-or-miss, definetley. His latest offerings ddn't really do it for me (except Serge Noire but that might be because it smells like church to me).

I read in a review for the sticky cake that is smelled like church, that's why I was so excited in the first place. Still, all I get after a while is men cologne. I guess the Sticky Cake and I just weren't meant to be.

May I ask your opinion on the Heremessence line? The only one I've tried is the Amber and I loved it. Are the other ones worth checking out?
                It's a decent line...overpriced, but good. Osmanthe Yunnan is the best, but still not as good as The Different Company's Osmanthus. The rose one is a rework of In Love Again (YSL)...grapefruit/rose. The pepper is nice, but simple. My fav is the licorice/lavender, but it's not for everyone. The vanilla is excellent, but you have to like lilies.

The newest one, sandal something or other, is excellent...fruity/lactonic woods. I would buy if it weren't for the pricetag. Also, it doesn't smell anything like sandalwood.

It's nice they're sold in travel sets though, and you can mix and match.

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

Unless you have your own overpowering smell (to the extent that it will overwhelm a perfume), yes. All this "skin chemistry" talk is bullshit.

No one has really studied this scientifically (that I'm aware of), so it's all opinion...but think about it, what would contribute to a fragrance smelling differently? An existing smell; heat (making the progression of a fragrance faster or slower); and oils (also making the progression vary).
                  people have very different natural smells (I don't know about women so much, but it's very obvious in men), so I would imagine it could change the way a fragrance acts. I don't see how that sounds like bull. but maybe it's not perceptible for most people, kind of like slight variations in sound quality that hi-fi geeks pretend to hear (or maybe they do)

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by galia View Post
                    people have very different natural smells (I don't know about women so much, but it's very obvious in men), so I would imagine it could change the way a fragrance acts. I don't see how that sounds like bull. but maybe it's not perceptible for most people, kind of like slight variations in sound quality that hi-fi geeks pretend to hear (or maybe they do)
                    Whatever natural smell someone has would be covered by any sort of perfume...that's the point of perfume! 99% of the time (in my opinion), the only reason a perfume smells different on you than on me is due to the other cosmetic products we use, or if there is an underlying hygiene reason.

Random example - I have a friend in the perfume industry who would always have me smell her latest drafts on her skin and on mine, and mine would always smell differently because of the cocoa butter lotion she used. She then switched to a "scent free" version of the lotion, but the issue did not resolve itself. Turned out her scent-free lotion was easily discernible to my nose.

And frankly, boys are stinkier than girls...that stink sometimes shines through. This has nothing to do with skin chemistry...it has to do with the fact that I sweat more than you do, etc.

Skin chemistry is a marketing term used to excuse you from liking a perfume without insulting the product.

Comment

• galia
                      • Jun 2009

I'm not saying that the skin is altering the perfume. But natural BO + scent = something different than just the scent. therefore if there is a variety of natural BO, the combinations will also smell different from one another. am I not getting something here?

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by galia View Post
                        I'm not saying that the skin is altering the perfume. But natural BO + scent = something different than just the scent. therefore if there is a variety of natural BO, the combinations will also smell different from one another. am I not getting something here?
                        You are correct...but unless that natural BO is so strong that it can overpower a perfume, it shouldn't be a consideration in selecting a scent for yourself....using the skin chemistry excuse is just how department stores excuse themselves for selling shit products.

Comment

• Ladidums
                          • Oct 2012

Anyone has a good recommendation for something that is like Apres L'Ondee before the reformulation? I know a lot of people say L'heure Bleue but that to me smells like insecticide! Nothing like Apres L'Ondee at all!

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Ladidums View Post
                            Anyone has a good recommendation for something that is like Apres L'Ondee before the reformulation? I know a lot of people say L'heure Bleue but that to me smells like insecticide! Nothing like Apres L'Ondee at all!
                            Nothing will smell just like it...what aspects of it do you like? Malle's L'Eau d'Hiver is in the same family, worth trying either way.

L'Heure Bleue is based on 3 elements - violet/iris accord, orange blossom accord, and the vanilla base. It also has prominent heliotrope (almond) and anisic aspects. Apres l'Ondee shares the violet/iris, heliotrope and anise, but lacks LHB's baroque base and bright orange blossom. You could say ALO is a slice of LHB.

Comment

• Ladidums
                              • Oct 2012

I like that, for the slightest moment, it smells like rain, wet grass and flowers before turning a little powdery then disappearing altogether. Now it's just all powder ):

But I think more than anything it's a feeling when smelling it. I'm just not good at describing it at all.

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Ladidums View Post
                                I like that, for the slightest moment, it smells like rain, wet grass and flowers before turning a little powdery then disappearing altogether. Now it's just all powder ):

But I think more than anything it's a feeling when smelling it. I'm just not good at describing it at all.
                                Understood. Also try Malle (coincidentally) En Passant, which replicates that dewy feeling.

In another vein (so not at all similar), but still "wet" smelling, Le Labo's Iris 39 is lovely.

Fair warning - if you seek out vintage Apres l'Ondee, you'll pay dearly. Ditto for the rare parfum (which smells quite close to the EDT frankly). Also, the 90's version of the EDT was (imo) inferior to today's version, which is more iris-prominent (because one producer has figured out a way of maturing iris root much more quickly, thereby reducing the price significantly).

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎