Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ladidums
    • Oct 2012

I know what you mean about vintage ALO prices. I've been stalking eBay for ages but I'm just not prepared to spend that much on something I can't try first.

Interesting that you mention the iris, I think the iris notes might be what's making it all powdery. There's significantly less "wet" and "green" in there. Might it be the heliotrope is missing after the reformulations. It's less demure and just plain old lady to me now.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll try them all and see where this goes.

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Ladidums View Post
      I know what you mean about vintage ALO prices. I've been stalking eBay for ages but I'm just not prepared to spend that much on something I can't try first.

Interesting that you mention the iris, I think the iris notes might be what's making it all powdery. There's significantly less "wet" and "green" in there. Might it be the heliotrope is missing after the reformulations. It's less demure and just plain old lady to me now.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll try them all and see where this goes.
      Heliotropin has been heavily restricted as of late, so that tones down the almond-qualities. Iris does have a powdery aspect, so that may be what's bothering you.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Ladidums
        • Oct 2012

Finally got to try both En Passant and Iris 39. Both are good scents.
        Haven't been able to try the L'Eau d'Hiver since the tester ran out.
        To me, Iris 39 was more "watery" than both En Passant and ALO. The picture that immediately came to mind was the Ophelia Painting by John Everette Millais. Wet, flowery and a little cold/dead.

I can't remember much of En Passant but I thought it was significantly more "skin like" than Iris 39 which seemed a little too far removed sometimes.

The most skin like in descending order: ALO, EP and I39. Still prefer ALO though.

Has anyone tried Jo Malone Orange blossoms or Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Orange?

Btw, how do you all try scents? I spray it on the tester strips and walk around for a bit. With the exception of ALO, most top notes don't really do it for me. I feel like I'm punched in the face. They make my nose itch and stuffy. Is that normal?

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Finally got to try both En Passant and Iris 39. Both are good scents.
          Haven't been able to try the L'Eau d'Hiver since the tester ran out.
          To me, Iris 39 was more "watery" than both En Passant and ALO. The picture that immediately came to mind was the Ophelia Painting by John Everette Millais. Wet, flowery and a little cold/dead.

I can't remember much of En Passant but I thought it was significantly more "skin like" than Iris 39 which seemed a little too far removed sometimes.

The most skin like in descending order: ALO, EP and I39. Still prefer ALO though.

Has anyone tried Jo Malone Orange blossoms or Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Orange?

Btw, how do you all try scents? I spray it on the tester strips and walk around for a bit. With the exception of ALO, most top notes don't really do it for me. I feel like I'm punched in the face. They make my nose itch and stuffy. Is that normal?
          I spray the back of my hand. If you want to bypass the top notes faster, spray the palm of your hand.

I'm not a huge orange blossom fan, but JM's is decent. SL's is very syrupy.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• ahn
            • Jul 2012

I've been wearing Jo Malone's Oud and Bergamot for about a year but have just recently fallen in love with Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. It's technically a unisex fragrance but I know it's typically thought of as quite masculine (and I've only even known men to wear it) but I think I can pull it off because the dry down is quite sweet. I also love the harsh leathery smoke scent when it's first sprayed but it never lasts long on my skin. The entire scent is just musky, dark and kind of brooding which I adore. I really enjoy wearing it.

I just have to scrounge up the dollars to buy it since it's so expensive in Australia...
            some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• J_J
              • Apr 2008

may be a long shot but does anyone want to sell me a decant of FM Angeliques Sous La Pluie?
              I had it sprayed on my wrist and I loved it (although extremely fleeting). The SA didn't have any samples to give me, I would like to test it for awhile before committing to a full bottle.

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by ahn View Post
                I've been wearing Jo Malone's Oud and Bergamot for about a year but have just recently fallen in love with Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. It's technically a unisex fragrance but I know it's typically thought of as quite masculine (and I've only even known men to wear it) but I think I can pull it off because the dry down is quite sweet. I also love the harsh leathery smoke scent when it's first sprayed but it never lasts long on my skin. The entire scent is just musky, dark and kind of brooding which I adore. I really enjoy wearing it.

I just have to scrounge up the dollars to buy it since it's so expensive in Australia...
                Fragrance is genderless...glad to hear you wear what you like. I wish men were more willing to do this. As with clothing, girls are more brave when it comes to ignoring who something is intended for.

Originally posted by J_J View Post
                may be a long shot but does anyone want to sell me a decant of FM Angeliques Sous La Pluie?
                I had it sprayed on my wrist and I loved it (although extremely fleeting). The SA didn't have any samples to give me, I would like to test it for awhile before committing to a full bottle.
                There's a website called Crystal Flacon where people sell decants. Worth looking.

Comment

• Ladidums
                  • Oct 2012

I agree with genderless fragrances. Wear what you like!

What do you like in your fragrance and why?

Comment

• ahn
                    • Jul 2012

I agree with genderless fragrances. Wear what you like!

What do you like in your fragrance and why?
                    I used to wear a lot of fruity, fresh scents, high in citrus, grapefruit, etc. One day though I just felt that these scents no longer communicated my style - they were too youthful, pretty, clean and uncomplicated.

I wanted an older, darker, moodier and more mysterious fragrance. So now I do tend to go for fragrances with woods, leathers, and if there's a sweetness, it should be a dark sweetness. Which is probably why I like Tuscan Leather so much. It's smokey (mysterious), leathery (moody) but also sweet with it's raspberry tones - it's a dark sweet, dense and smooth.

I don't like Oud Wood as much as I thought I would, it's too spicy. I don't like spice on me.

I'm really keen to try other oud/leather/wood based fragrances, I think I'll have to buy some samples/decants online.

For years I've been obsessed with finding a signature scent. Maybe one for summer and another for winter. The hunt continues... :)
                    some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• coccodrillo
                      • Nov 2009

Lately I have a preference for woody, green, incense and older "classics" like - Joy, Mitsuoko, Bal a Versaille, Caleche, Must de Cartier, Caron Pour Un Homme all before reformulation.

Fruity floral aren't in my collection - but am finding the more I sniff and sample there are scents I like regardless of what's listed in the ingredients or gender "label".

I enjoy using perfume to reflect my mood and to transport me - sometimes I need a vacation in a bottle.

Comment

• Verdandi
                        • Mar 2012

I am looking into buying a perfume as a gift for a friend.
                        She told me she likes "orange blossoms with honey" and "cozy vanilla fragrances". However, she did not like my Serges (both, the vanilla and the orange blossom one) and wasn't too fond of APOM either. Any other recommendations (from Dane or others)?
                        lavender menace

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

She might prefer a simple orange blossom then. 7 Virtues makes a decent one, as does Jo Malone. For something a bit more complex, Un Parfum d'Ailleurs et Fleurs by The Different Company.

Cozy vanilla, maybe Kenzo Amour? I'm not good with vanillas.

Comment

• Coroner
                            • Apr 2009

How about Parfums MDCI- Le Rivage des Syrtes? It's unisex but it gravitates more towards feminine side but I wear it too .... I usually blend it with something darker TFPB Tuscan Leather, Puredistance M, CCC Man

Notes -
                            sweet orange essence, pineapple, galbanum, ylang ylang, tuberose, orange blossom absolute, incense, ambergris, vanilla, musk

IMO, all MDCI compostions are very well done with high quality ingredients.... but, I find MDCI bottles a bit tacky with tassels and what not, lol.

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

They do make beautiful stuff...a tad pricey for a gift though (well, depending on the recipient of course).

Comment

• Coroner
                                • Apr 2009

If MDCI price is a concern, then, I would like to suggest Carthusia Via Camerelle. Very luminous, bright, linear, and just a happy feeling EDT. In a traditional sense.... leans more towards feminine side.

The bright top notes of bergamot, lemon and bitter orange are set against the warm herbaceous backdrop of marjoram.

Again, very well done compositions with top notch ingredients and at a very reasonable cost.

My personal favorite from the house of Carthusia is 1681. Similar to Andy Warhol Silver Factory sans metallic note.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎