Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Women's Fragrances

Hi all !
    Unfortunately, my husbant hates the smell of Oud Ispahan, so I'm not wearing it anymore . Seems like a shame to waste it since it's such a great scent. If anyone is interested in a barely used bottle, still with box, pm me and I will mail it to you at a low price.

Reposting here

Floriental by CDG

One of the most original scents I've laid my nose on. Really good.

http://www.sz-mag.com/news/2015/07/c...ns-floriental/

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

"Step by step, [perfume's] history followed that of our language. The perfumed Louis XIII style, composed of elements highly prized at that time, of iris powder, musk, chive and myrtle water already designated under the name of "water of the angels," was hardly sufficient to express the cavalier graces, the rather crude tones of the period which certain sonnets of Saint-Amand have preserved for us. Later, with myrrh and olibanum, the mystic odors, austere and powerful, the pompous gesture of the great period, the redundant artifices of oratorial art, the full, sustained harmonious style of Bossuet and the masters of the pulpit were almost possible. Still later, the sophisticated, rather bored graces of French society under Louis XV, more easily found their interpretation in the almond which in a manner summed up this epoch; then, after the ennui and jadedness of the first empire, which misused Eau de Cologne and rosemary, perfumery rushed, in the wake of Victor Hugo and Gautier, towards the Levant. It created oriental combinations, vivid Eastern nosegays, discovered new intonations, antitheses which until then had been unattempted, selected and made use of antique nuances which it complicated, refined and assorted. It resolutely rejected that voluntary decrepitude to which it had been reduced by the Malesherbes, the Boileaus, the Andrieuxes and the Baour-Lormians, wretched distillers of their own poems.

But this language had not remained stationery since the period of 1830. It had continued to evolve and, patterning itself on the progress of the century, had advanced parallel with the other arts. It, too, had yielded to the desires of amateurs and artists, receiving its inspiration from the Chinese and Japanese, conceiving fragrant albums, imitating the Takeoka bouquets of flowers, obtaining the odor of Rondeletia from the blend of lavender and clove; the peculiar aroma of Chinese ink from the marriage of patchouli and camphor; the emanation of Japanese Hovenia by compounds of citron, clove and neroli.

Des Esseintes studied and analyzed the essences of these fluids, experimenting to corroborate their texts. He took pleasure in playing the role of a psychologist for his personal satisfaction, in taking apart and re-assembling the machinery of a work, in separating the pieces forming the structure of a compound exhalation, and his sense of smell had thereby attained a sureness that was all but perfect.

Just as a wine merchant has only to smell a drop of wine to recognize the grape, as a hop dealer determines the exact value of hops by sniffing a bag, as a Chinese trader can immediately tell the origin of the teas he smells, knowing in what farms of what mountains, in what Buddhistic convents it was cultivated, the very time when its leaves were gathered, the state and the degree of torrefaction, the effect upon it of its proximity to the plum-tree and other flowers, to all those perfumes which change its essence, adding to it an unexpected touch and introducing into its dryish flavor a hint of distant fresh flowers; just so could Des Esseintes, by inhaling a dash of perfume, instantly explain its mixture and the psychology of its blend, and could almost give the name of the artist who had composed and given it the personal mark of his individual style."

Huysmans, A Rebours, chp 10. (full text free here: http://www.victorianweb.org/decadence/huysmans/10.html).
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Would anyone in France be willing to proxy some items from the Guerlain and Chanel online shops for me? They don't sell online here and the fragrances I am looking for are always sold out at the local Chanel Boutique and Guerlain counter. Any help would be much appreciated.
    lavender menace

I'll do it! PM me if you want

Looking for recommendations. Trying to find a fragrance for my wife. She currently wears Safran Troublant and CdG Holygrace. Hoping to find something that has some of the same notes, but not necessarily similar. Any other suggestions are helpful as well.

I found info here only about the male and female fragrances. Is there a separate thread about unisex?

No, but you can post in either of the threads. Or start one.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Picked up Black Uddu by Mad et Len in Paris earlier this year. It's a very cool-smelling fragrance (to me) compared to my previous daily fragrance (Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford). I'm still adjusting to it stylistically speaking but I do adore it.

HOWEVER I feel like no matter the brand, the fragrance disappears within an hour. When I ask my boyfriend he says he can't smell it, so I know it's not just my perception of the fragrance. Why can't I keep these beautiful scents on my skin for longer? Is it the chemical composition of my skin?
    some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Do you have dry skin? Sometimes it can help to moisturize with a non fragrant body lotion or butter before applying perfume.

You could also try to spray the scent on your clothes or your hair.
    lavender menace

Quote Originally Posted by Verdandi View Post
    Do you have dry skin? Sometimes it can help to moisturize with a non fragrant body lotion or butter before applying perfume.

I have the same problem - dry skin, and I do what Verdandi says (except the hair). Just spray it on top of your top, close to the neck.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Verdandi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I have the same problem - dry skin, and I do what Verdandi says (except the hair). Just spray it on top of your top, close to the neck.
    Thank you, yes I would say I have normal/dry skin, I will try this trick with the unscented moisturiser!
    some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by ahn View Post
    Thank you, yes I would say I have normal/dry skin, I will try this trick with the unscented moisturiser!
    Try this for fix scent on every skin:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3JHT1U3QMO9EG

yes, Unisex it really would be useful. did you start a new topic?)I would be interested to take part.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
    For an inexpensive everyday scent I currently love SJP NYC, this is floral and fresh and is perfect for work as it won't cost an arm and a leg to replace!
    LOL..

StyleZeitgeist Magazine