Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregor
    • Oct 2014

dji when did you move? i remember the first year i moved there we had a pretty intense winter, actually. snow, not sleet or rain, which was quite unusual, but definitely could have been made warmer by a jacket like that. it happens every little while since i've been there. not a great investment, but a great piece.

Comment

• dji
      • Feb 2008

gregor this is only my 3rd week here so still very new to the area, weather seems comparable (slightly cooler) to my home city of Melbourne. I'll be tempted I'm sure if I see a black long haired shearling high collar Intarsia appear in a 46, the lady boss will definitely kill me though.

Comment

• Defender
        Banned
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Being a relatively intelligent, well-informed, and reasonable person, I will continue to eat what I like, wear what I like, date whom I like, listen to music and enjoy art that I like (which happens to be mostly produced by white males, sorry!) and so on. You want to drag everything that's personal and make it political, have fun.
        This is the definition of apathy. Just because you don't think something is so, or choose not to engage in it, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Again, if you're not making the decisions, the decisions are being made for you.

I don't think you are as passive as you would like to think. You, for example, run a style-making magazine/forum capable of shifting global markets, if limited to the niche of those of us interested in complicated pants, toward or away from particular designers. I remember, recently, you got upset because Paul Harnden is raising prices with, in your view, no justification other than money-grabbing, while offering no thanks to those who supported him in becoming more marketable.

You made a drastic, anti-consumerist, political statement by saying to him, Fuck You, I think.

That is a political statement with real-world repercussions, and is a message to other designers that following the same path might result in less exposure throughout the SZ world. That is anti-corporate, anti-commercial, anti-capitalist pig political activism, whether you like it or not, and whether you recognize it as such.

Comment

• Pumpfish
          • Sep 2010

How did I miss Sacai Mens? Especially the trousers.
          spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Defender View Post
            ………..
            This is going nowhere real fast. Please stop having to have the last word and move on.
            StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• BlacknWhite
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
              By "little in fashion interests me because I need a raincoat with a zipoff hood" did you mean "I need a raincoat with a zipoff hood?"
              Sorry, very tired this morning, couldn't think straight. Just an example of how I nitpick everything now a days.

Comment

• gregor
                • Oct 2014

dji enjoy my city then! it's a great place. climate is pretty manageable all year round, and though it doesn't get cold too often, winter can see a decent amount of snow some years, but it's rare.

she can't say no if she isn't there when the decision is made; i've snuck in some unapproved purchases that way

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

This is the definition of sanity. Just because you don't think something is so, or choose not to engage in it, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Again, if you're not making the decisions, the decisions are being made for you.

I don't think you are as passive as you would like to think. You, for example, run a style-making magazine/forum capable of shifting global markets, if limited to the niche of those of us interested in complicated pants, toward or away from particular designers. I remember, recently, you got upset because Paul Harnden is raising prices with, in your view, no justification other than money-grabbing, while offering no thanks to those who supported him in becoming more marketable.

You made a drastic, anti-consumerist, political statement by saying to him, Fuck You, I think.

That is a political statement with real-world repercussions, and is a message to other designers that following the same path might result in less exposure throughout the SZ world. That is anti-corporate, anti-commercial, anti-capitalist pig political activism, whether you like it or not, and whether you recognize it as such.
                  Fixed :-)

What are we arguing about exactly? That every decision is political or every decision should be treated as political? I am arguing that the letter is impossible. Otherwise, tell me, how do you sleep at night, with the weight of the world on your shoulders? Do you not drive a car? Do you not travel by plane? Or by bus? Are you typing your responses on an artisanal, local, organic computer?

I will still maintain that every decision is not political. I think Basquiat's art is crap not because he was black, but because the art is low-grade and banal. The criteria is not political (identity politics here) but aesthetic. And I have serious problems with anyone who maintains that everything is political, thus making it their business to impose on my personal tastes. Does this make sense?
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by gregor View Post
                    dji enjoy my city then! it's a great place. climate is pretty manageable all year round, and though it doesn't get cold too often, winter can see a decent amount of snow some years, but it's rare.

she can't say no if she isn't there when the decision is made; i've snuck in some unapproved purchases that way
                    loving it so far, reminds me a lot of home culturally (in a good way!). could use a few more places to shop though that's for sure.

isn't that how the vast majority of purchases are made? unfortunately she's very perceptive of new pieces so they get flagged pretty quickly.

Comment

• gregor
                      • Oct 2014

barney's has the occasional rick piece, which is nice, but besides totokaelo it's pretty dry. have you checked out don't talk? i feel like i mentioned it before, but it's definitely worth looking into. guys who run it are great, josh especially. works at toto.

Comment

• dji
                        • Feb 2008

don't think I've bothered with Barneys but maybe next time I'm downtown (I live/work in Bellevue). been meaning to check out don't talk but lazy about making an appointment.

Comment

• Defender
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          How do you sleep at night, with the weight of the world on your shoulders?
                          It's not easy

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

It's not easy
                            Look, man - I hear you. I would also like to live in an ideal world. I try to balance as a reasonably intelligent, well-educated, well-informed person would.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gregor
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by dji View Post
                              don't think I've bothered with Barneys but maybe next time I'm downtown (I live/work in Bellevue). been meaning to check out don't talk but lazy about making an appointment.
                              mostly hoodies and stuff, main line as well as drkshdw. it's pretty slim pickings in general, but if you're downtown it's better than nothing.

also, you live in bellevue as well? small world, i lived in somerset for the longest time
                              Last edited by gregor; 09-25-2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• tjhalvy
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                                Thought it might be a good repository for random fashion thoughts and topics that don't deserve their own thread.

Zippers. IMO, many brands kill themselves with shit zippers. Just looked at an otherwise great odyn vovk jacket but the zipper sucks. I feel the same about julius. CCP, Rick and BBS use zippers I deem substantial and don't cheapen the look, why can't everyone?
                                Agreed! Wish brands would realize this issue...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎