Page 245 of 247 FirstFirst ... 145195235236237238239240241242243244245246247 LastLast
Results 4,881 to 4,900 of 4923

Thread: random fashion thoughts

  1. #4881

    Default

    I’ve watched some of his videos and really enjoyed them.
    This guy has the chance to inspire people to engage with fashion other than the current streetwear bullshit we’re being fed constantly. I hope he succeeds.
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

  2. #4882

    Default

    Hi! Bliss here! Ive lurked on SZ for years. This community is a HUGE part of why I developed such a deep interest in fashion. The kind words mean a ton. Tbh, Id greatly value feedback from members of this community in particular. The video most of my viewers tend to gravitate to is my Rick runway analysis: https://youtu.be/qyuGL4pWfdw

    At this point, I release new videos weekly. Next episode is runway analysis on Kiko, Im extremely excited.


    Quote Originally Posted by marux View Post
    I didn't find any thread about youtube tips so i'll post this here. Just spent an hour chuckling along to this guy Bliss Foster, who dedicates his youtube-channel on quite deep level analyzis of fashion, and mostly high fashion, but with a lot of humour in a way that makes him stand out. What I enjoy about him is his pewdiepie'esque for-the-lolz-attitude paired with good insight into the fashion-world. I almost suspect he's on here. Is he?


  3. #4883
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickefuge View Post
    I’ve watched some of his videos and really enjoyed them.
    This guy has the chance to inspire people to engage with fashion other than the current streetwear bullshit we’re being fed constantly. I hope he succeeds.
    Same here. i enjoyed it too.

  4. #4884

    Default

    AMI’s SS20 collection is solid and I think Alexandre Matiussi would’ve been a good fit at LV or SL.
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

  5. #4885
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickefuge View Post
    AMI’s SS20 collection is solid and I think Alexandre Matiussi would’ve been a good fit at LV or SL.
    Really? I thought it went something like, "Everyone loved the Bottega Veneta collection - let's do a watered down version of that." I suppose I'm distrustful of drastic departures by nondesigners.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  6. #4886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Really? I thought it went something like, "Everyone loved the Bottega Veneta collection - let's do a watered down version of that." I suppose I'm distrustful of drastic departures by nondesigners.
    I haven’t payed attention to Bottega Veneta lately tbh. AMI was featured somewhere, that’s why I even saw it.
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

  7. #4887

    Default

    Not a unique thought but sometimes I feel like I'm buying inconvenience. The delicate fabrics you often find in handmade clothing end up owning me, I tend to baby them.
    Shouldn't more expensive clothing also be more durable, in most cases?

  8. #4888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    Not a unique thought but sometimes I feel like I'm buying inconvenience. The delicate fabrics you often find in handmade clothing end up owning me, I tend to baby them.
    Shouldn't more expensive clothing also be more durable, in most cases?
    well that's a delicate question you ask.
    Fast fashion / cheap clothing developed exactly on that: selling convenience, comfort, in detriment of all the rest (design, quality, concept, etc.).

    artisanal clothing / niche brands are selling a mix of things: a concept, quality, rarity, variety of fabrics, etc. Delicate fabrics are among those things. There can be a lot of work and value put into a very delicate garment. The concept in such case overtakes the object (ie. beats the purpose) , as it becomes unusable.

    Is a BBS Tejana built to last? yes, it's built like a tank. Will it rip at the seams because the cut is so fucking avant-garde you can't barely move in it? yes also. Built to last, yet super inconvenient.

    the answer to you question lies within the same very question: "in most cases".

    EDIT: Luxury is also that, being able to afford what doesn't last and not give a damn about it.

  9. #4889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
    well that's a delicate question you ask.
    Fast fashion / cheap clothing developed exactly on that: selling convenience, comfort, in detriment of all the rest (design, quality, concept, etc.).

    artisanal clothing / niche brands are selling a mix of things: a concept, quality, rarity, variety of fabrics, etc. Delicate fabrics are among those things. There can be a lot of work and value put into a very delicate garment. The concept in such case overtakes the object (ie. beats the purpose) , as it becomes unusable.

    Is a BBS Tejana built to last? yes, it's built like a tank. Will it rip at the seams because the cut is so fucking avant-garde you can't barely move in it? yes also. Built to last, yet super inconvenient.

    the answer to you question lies within the same very question: "in most cases".

    EDIT: Luxury is also that, being able to afford what doesn't last and not give a damn about it.
    Many valid points, thank you. I'm of course aware of atleast some of them. Your last edit pinpoints my issue really, when I choose to buy artisanal clothing over cheap factory stuff, it's because I'm looking for other values than the throwaway mentality, which paradoxically is what you find in fast fashion. As you have pointed out. I'm not in an economic position where I can spend 1500 EUR (oftentimes more) on one item, just for it to rip, rendering it irreparable, from normal wear and tear. One shouldn't support "built-in obsolescence" in my opinion.

    I guess it's a question of finding the right brands, GBS comes to mind as the best example of sustainability. Most BBS is built-to-last and the price is also premium in that regard.

    You can't put a price on concept and rarity obviously, but sacrificing quality for these values is seldom necessary. Save that for runway pieces...

    Well, I guess my main gripe is that luxury shouldn't mean "being able to afford what doesn't last and not give a damn about it." But maybe it's inescapable, what other definitions are there?

  10. #4890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    Many valid points, thank you. I'm of course aware of atleast some of them. Your last edit pinpoints my issue really, when I choose to buy artisanal clothing over cheap factory stuff, it's because I'm looking for other values than the throwaway mentality, which paradoxically is what you find in fast fashion. As you have pointed out. I'm not in an economic position where I can spend 1500 EUR (oftentimes more) on one item, just for it to rip, rendering it irreparable, from normal wear and tear. One shouldn't support "built-in obsolescence" in my opinion.

    I guess it's a question of finding the right brands, GBS comes to mind as the best example of sustainability. Most BBS is built-to-last and the price is also premium in that regard.

    You can't put a price on concept and rarity obviously, but sacrificing quality for these values is seldom necessary. Save that for runway pieces...

    Well, I guess my main gripe is that luxury shouldn't mean "being able to afford what doesn't last and not give a damn about it." But maybe it's inescapable, what other definitions are there?
    I think artisanal brands are not luxury brands.



    luxury brands are luxury brands.
    Quote Originally Posted by unwashed View Post
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

  11. #4891

    Default

    What is a luxury brand nowadays? Is it material used or the brand name/legacy?
    Or is it mainly social media hype?

  12. #4892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
    I think artisanal brands are not luxury brands.



    luxury brands are luxury brands.
    a brand can be both...………..
    You know, he says, with a resilient smile, it is a hard world for poets.
    .................................................. .......................


    Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

  13. #4893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post

    You can't put a price on concept and rarity obviously, but sacrificing quality for these values is seldom necessary. Save that for runway pieces...
    I agree with Zam.

    Also, "quality" is perceptual and not always synonymous with durability.

    I am not rich either and definitely protect (often to fastidious extents) my most rare, artisanal, and coveted pieces. These CCP pieces are given the highest value by me (because value is also perceptual), and I don't wear them because I want them to thrive for years without the unavoidable wear which daily use would inflict on the Visible Meltlock seams or the beautiful fabrics.

    What I think is a problem, is the exorbitant price given to "hype" pieces. It may be bias, but I have a super hard time differentiating the "quality" between a Supreme pullover and a Fruit of the Loom one. I am entirely unable to find a heightened quality neither in design nor in construction that matches the higher price.

  14. #4894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by julian_doe View Post
    I am entirely unable to find a heightened quality neither in design nor in construction that matches the higher price.
    This is the perceived value you described yourself. although it’s rather the effect of people confusing rarity and hype with actual value/quality.
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

  15. #4895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zamb View Post
    a brand can be both...………..
    In my experience I think that refers to brands like Hermes, in where its luxurious because there are no imperfections due to the artisan's skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by unwashed View Post
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

  16. #4896
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monoral View Post
    What is a luxury brand nowadays? Is it material used or the brand name/legacy?
    Or is it mainly social media hype?
    The one that has bigger logos on sweatshirts and an advertising/PR budget to buy everyone.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  17. #4897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
    In my experience I think that refers to brands like Hermes, in where its luxurious because there are no imperfections due to the artisan's skill.
    Yes but another way of looking at it is that a brand like Hermes "wastes" a lot of materials because anything that doesn't meet the standard of "imperfection" must be rejected as suitable for Production.
    compare that with a brand like CCP, that emphasizes the imperfection and turns it into artistic beauty...………..

    Sometimes I go to the Tannery to buy leather, and I don't want the leather they have coated or spray to look perfect. I want the ones with discolorations, bit marks, scars etc that gives a history of the process and the animal from which it came.

    there is a "luxury" customer who does not want perfect things, but want things with Character and imperfect expression
    You know, he says, with a resilient smile, it is a hard world for poets.
    .................................................. .......................


    Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

  18. #4898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zamb View Post
    Yes but another way of looking at it is that a brand like Hermes "wastes" a lot of materials because anything that doesn't meet the standard of "imperfection" must be rejected as suitable for Production.
    compare that with a brand like CCP, that emphasizes the imperfection and turns it into artistic beauty...………..

    Sometimes I go to the Tannery to buy leather, and I don't want the leather they have coated or spray to look perfect. I want the ones with discolorations, bit marks, scars etc that gives a history of the process and the animal from which it came.

    there is a "luxury" customer who does not want perfect things, but want things with Character and imperfect expression
    sure, but by traditional definition its not luxury imho
    although you could argue that it is, its entirely up to how you want to see it.

    to me ccp is not luxury, artisanalwear is not luxury to me, perhaps you could argue dressing in a very inconvenient way is a sign of wealth but that does not make it luxury imho (take a woman wearing a marc le bihan dress as an example)
    Quote Originally Posted by unwashed View Post
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

  19. #4899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monoral View Post
    What is a luxury brand nowadays? Is it material used or the brand name/legacy?
    Or is it mainly social media hype?
    Today? It's a brand that is perceived to be luxury. It has very little to do with the actual quality of garments unfortunately. Faust mentioned PR and advertisement budget, which is definitely a major factor. If you can buy your way in, or you just know the right people you can pretty much establish (create hype) your brand as whatever you want (in this case luxury) with a total disregard to basic fundamentals in the category you're trying to enter. Artisanal brands also experience this to a certain extent, but since the overall audience is smaller you have less of this.

    Traditional luxury is, in my opinion, all about quality and excess, price point, history and consistency and some other factors. With artisanal brands the aesthetic, unique production and materials and process are much more important.
    I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
    My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

  20. #4900

    Default

    Does anybody know when Balenciaga will present their garbs?
    Really excited for more ridiculously priced ironic working-class appreciation.
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •