Page 1 of 237 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: random fashion thoughts

Default random fashion thoughts

Thought it might be a good repository for random fashion thoughts and topics that don't deserve their own thread.

Zippers. IMO, many brands kill themselves with shit zippers. Just looked at an otherwise great odyn vovk jacket but the zipper sucks. I feel the same about julius. CCP, Rick and BBS use zippers I deem substantial and don't cheapen the look, why can't everyone?

Yea, Faust and I just noticed the same when we were both having trouble closing our Julius jackets...
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

^oh no, you've gone to the dark side? Just posted about rick btw. Dunno if you feel the same but I find the current collection too elegant and antiseptic. Grooving on BBS lately.

For the record, I don't think the Julius zippers are cheap, but those double zippers are always hard to finnagle, that's for sure.

Yep, another zipper discussion.

Anyway, why don't all designers make trapezoid shaped scarves? They drape and turn so nicely. Faliero Sarti and Schneider got the script right long ago, what about the others?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

^true, sarti and schneider do it right. btw, trying to decide between l&f and guidi edition of mag

In general, these would be my biggest gripes in general:

not large enough drops in suits

shit zippers

no love for big foots

still cannot find the perfect pants, but the bbs 3m taped pants come pretty close

torso length, i have a long torso so it's go real long like rick or expose my navel in MMM and other brands

85% of my wardrobe restricts my shoulders to the point of near immobility. went thru drive thru to get coffee the other day and had to take off my jacket to reach out and get it.
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

^same here. have shoulders taken out on everything, took off blazer to use drive thru atm

BBS has some hard to handle double zippers as well. When a girl sitting on a couch in a bar wanted to help me with the zipper on my coat all the people behind me were laughing because it looked like a blowjob.

Some random thoughts here:

Silent should be more expensive than the mainline.

Starting to like MA+.

And a fast fashion thought: Don't women in cheap high heels ask for the attention of just women in cheap high heels and men who like women in cheap high heels? Sorry, I came too close to a newly opened shopping center in my town...

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Anyway, why don't all designers make trapezoid shaped scarves? They drape and turn so nicely. Faliero Sarti and Schneider got the script right long ago, what about the others?
    Food for thought:
    http://www.novaroma.org/nr/Toga
    http://www.garden-statuary.us/classi...man_dress.html
    more in terms of the way they're folded and draped than worn, unless you're a more daring man than I am.

my wife has some erudite things to say about fashion. for instance, when lamenting selling my oiled calf intarsia for another leather she said "no one gives a fuck what stupid leather you have. they all look the same"

Quote Originally Posted by DRRRK View Post
    Silent should be more expensive than the mainline.
    you lost me here

Quote Originally Posted by kunk75 View Post
    my wife has some erudite things to say about fashion. for instance, when lamenting selling my oiled calf intarsia for another leather she said "no one gives a fuck what stupid leather you have. they all look the same"
    She's right. My parents think the same. Bought my mum a Rick jacket and offered to buy her another one from this season and she just had a puzzled look on her face.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Yes, offered to buy my wife a new winter coat, she says she bought one 3 years ago. Can't relate.

Signature material.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNouveau View Post
    you lost me here
    I just don't like the mainline anymore as I used to. At least silent has some coherence. The cold dyed pieces are great and one third of the price of BBS cold dyed pieces.

"I wonder what an episode of Intervention based on SZ would look like."

I think this came up when CJBreed and I were exchanging several pages-long emails rambling about blazer lengths, prices and how desperately we needed (insert whatever piece we can't afford.)

Anyhow, I laugh whenever I think of this, particularly because of all the notes about PH fixes and PH related quandries that are passing through my inbox lately.

MBD
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

i could start a forum on my wife's comments:

"i am not sure which is more pitiful. It would be one thing if you bought all this stuff to parade around the streets showing off clothes no one knows or cares about but you wear them in the house for yourself."

This comment is now my new sig. Too good to pass up.

My thought is how much testing designers put their sample/prototype garments through before they decide it's the right materials, pattern etc. to put into production.

i could start a forum on my wife's comments:

"i am not sure which is more pitiful. It would be one thing if you bought all this stuff to parade around the streets showing off clothes no one knows or cares about but you wear them in the house for yourself."
    Quote Originally Posted by eat me View Post
    If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sshum88 View Post
    This comment is now my new sig. Too good to pass up.

My thought is how much testing designers put their sample/prototype garments through before they decide it's the right materials, pattern etc. to put into production.
    From my experience-not much right now.
    Rick' hog wash denim anybody?
    ____
    sorry for my bad english, i learned it from the book.

I too am inspired by homeless people when I buy a $1,000 jacket. Why don't we just shit on them? Oh, fashion, sometimes I wonder why I bother...(Faust)

hog wash denim = a new hole every day.

MBD - don't trust anyone with a video camera especially if they say they are working on a documentary. anyway i think you're up lol...
    Last edited by cjbreed; 09-21-2011 at 06:36 PM.
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective