Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TriggerDiscipline
    • Apr 2013

i took the liberty of making new threads for new designers that no one in here is talking about

take a look.
    Originally posted by unwashed
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Originally posted by Ahimsa
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Thank you, Trigger.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• marux
        • Apr 2013

I didn't find any thread about youtube tips so i'll post this here. Just spent an hour chuckling along to this guy Bliss Foster, who dedicates his youtube-channel on quite deep level analyzis of fashion, and mostly high fashion, but with a lot of humour in a way that makes him stand out. What I enjoy about him is his pewdiepie'esque for-the-lolz-attitude paired with good insight into the fashion-world. I almost suspect he's on here. Is he?

Comment

• Nickefuge
          • Nov 2014

I’ve watched some of his videos and really enjoyed them.
          This guy has the chance to inspire people to engage with fashion other than the current streetwear bullshit we’re being fed constantly. I hope he succeeds.
          "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Prime
            • Sep 2014

Hi! Bliss here! I’ve lurked on SZ for years. This community is a HUGE part of why I developed such a deep interest in fashion. The kind words mean a ton. Tbh, I’d greatly value feedback from members of this community in particular. The video most of my viewers tend to gravitate to is my Rick runway analysis: https://youtu.be/qyuGL4pWfdw

At this point, I release new videos weekly. Next episode is runway analysis on Kiko, I’m extremely excited.

Originally posted by marux View Post
            I didn't find any thread about youtube tips so i'll post this here. Just spent an hour chuckling along to this guy Bliss Foster, who dedicates his youtube-channel on quite deep level analyzis of fashion, and mostly high fashion, but with a lot of humour in a way that makes him stand out. What I enjoy about him is his pewdiepie'esque for-the-lolz-attitude paired with good insight into the fashion-world. I almost suspect he's on here. Is he?

Comment

• Jeroenr
              • May 2016

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
              I’ve watched some of his videos and really enjoyed them.
              This guy has the chance to inspire people to engage with fashion other than the current streetwear bullshit we’re being fed constantly. I hope he succeeds.
              Same here. i enjoyed it too.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                • Nov 2014

AMI’s SS20 collection is solid and I think Alexandre Matiussi would’ve been a good fit at LV or SL.
                "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                  AMI’s SS20 collection is solid and I think Alexandre Matiussi would’ve been a good fit at LV or SL.
                  Really? I thought it went something like, "Everyone loved the Bottega Veneta collection - let's do a watered down version of that." I suppose I'm distrustful of drastic departures by nondesigners.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nickefuge
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Really? I thought it went something like, "Everyone loved the Bottega Veneta collection - let's do a watered down version of that." I suppose I'm distrustful of drastic departures by nondesigners.
                    I haven’t payed attention to Bottega Veneta lately tbh. AMI was featured somewhere, that’s why I even saw it.
                    -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Avalon
                      • Sep 2017

Not a unique thought but sometimes I feel like I'm buying inconvenience. The delicate fabrics you often find in handmade clothing end up owning me, I tend to baby them.
                      Shouldn't more expensive clothing also be more durable, in most cases?
                      Originally posted by Faust
                      Boots. Always, boots.

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Avalon View Post
                        Not a unique thought but sometimes I feel like I'm buying inconvenience. The delicate fabrics you often find in handmade clothing end up owning me, I tend to baby them.
                        Shouldn't more expensive clothing also be more durable, in most cases?
                        well that's a delicate question you ask.
                        Fast fashion / cheap clothing developed exactly on that: selling convenience, comfort, in detriment of all the rest (design, quality, concept, etc.).

artisanal clothing / niche brands are selling a mix of things: a concept, quality, rarity, variety of fabrics, etc. Delicate fabrics are among those things. There can be a lot of work and value put into a very delicate garment. The concept in such case overtakes the object (ie. beats the purpose) , as it becomes unusable.

Is a BBS Tejana built to last? yes, it's built like a tank. Will it rip at the seams because the cut is so fucking avant-garde you can't barely move in it? yes also. Built to last, yet super inconvenient.

the answer to you question lies within the same very question: "in most cases".

EDIT: Luxury is also that, being able to afford what doesn't last and not give a damn about it.

Comment

• Avalon
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
                          well that's a delicate question you ask.
                          Fast fashion / cheap clothing developed exactly on that: selling convenience, comfort, in detriment of all the rest (design, quality, concept, etc.).

artisanal clothing / niche brands are selling a mix of things: a concept, quality, rarity, variety of fabrics, etc. Delicate fabrics are among those things. There can be a lot of work and value put into a very delicate garment. The concept in such case overtakes the object (ie. beats the purpose) , as it becomes unusable.

Is a BBS Tejana built to last? yes, it's built like a tank. Will it rip at the seams because the cut is so fucking avant-garde you can't barely move in it? yes also. Built to last, yet super inconvenient.

the answer to you question lies within the same very question: "in most cases".

EDIT: Luxury is also that, being able to afford what doesn't last and not give a damn about it.
                          Many valid points, thank you. I'm of course aware of atleast some of them. Your last edit pinpoints my issue really, when I choose to buy artisanal clothing over cheap factory stuff, it's because I'm looking for other values than the throwaway mentality, which paradoxically is what you find in fast fashion. As you have pointed out. I'm not in an economic position where I can spend 1500 EUR (oftentimes more) on one item, just for it to rip, rendering it irreparable, from normal wear and tear. One shouldn't support "built-in obsolescence" in my opinion.

I guess it's a question of finding the right brands, GBS comes to mind as the best example of sustainability. Most BBS is built-to-last and the price is also premium in that regard.

You can't put a price on concept and rarity obviously, but sacrificing quality for these values is seldom necessary. Save that for runway pieces...

Well, I guess my main gripe is that luxury shouldn't mean "being able to afford what doesn't last and not give a damn about it." But maybe it's inescapable, what other definitions are there?
                          Originally posted by Faust
                          Boots. Always, boots.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Avalon View Post
                            Many valid points, thank you. I'm of course aware of atleast some of them. Your last edit pinpoints my issue really, when I choose to buy artisanal clothing over cheap factory stuff, it's because I'm looking for other values than the throwaway mentality, which paradoxically is what you find in fast fashion. As you have pointed out. I'm not in an economic position where I can spend 1500 EUR (oftentimes more) on one item, just for it to rip, rendering it irreparable, from normal wear and tear. One shouldn't support "built-in obsolescence" in my opinion.

I guess it's a question of finding the right brands, GBS comes to mind as the best example of sustainability. Most BBS is built-to-last and the price is also premium in that regard.

You can't put a price on concept and rarity obviously, but sacrificing quality for these values is seldom necessary. Save that for runway pieces...

Well, I guess my main gripe is that luxury shouldn't mean "being able to afford what doesn't last and not give a damn about it." But maybe it's inescapable, what other definitions are there?
                            I think artisanal brands are not luxury brands.

luxury brands are luxury brands.
                            Originally posted by unwashed
                            Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                            Originally posted by Ahimsa
                            I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Monoral
                              • Mar 2014

What is a luxury brand nowadays? Is it material used or the brand name/legacy?
                              Or is it mainly social media hype?

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                                I think artisanal brands are not luxury brands.

luxury brands are luxury brands.
                                a brand can be both...………..
                                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎