• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
    David Sedaris on his love for amongst others Paul Harnden and Comme. If you like him, you will enjoy this even more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0901fqt
    He's so awesome. Did you read his New Yorker article about shopping in Tokyo? Edit: ah, that's the exact piece, only read out loud.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• beyondthemeans
      • Sep 2008

Can someone explain me why brands/designers would like to work with Grailed?

First Robert Geller, now Boris Bidjan Saberi (even though it is just his spokesperson giving an interview).

It's beyond me why they would like to work with a platform that is (as discussed profoundly on this forum) driving down prices and value of garments. I just can not see the benefit in this, even if it would just be for exposure and promotion purposes, I can not imagine they get anything back from the lowballing 40 year old's that tend to be outnumbered on the website.

Comment

• LilL.FASH
        • Jul 2012

I think its emblematic of a lot of designer's attitudes at the moment. They are desperate for exposure and more importantly sales. Some aren't particularly loyal or respectful to their retailers and one would assume that this comes from them believing they are taking care of their own bottom line. Whilst it isn't overt, I think some designers are attempting to cater to teenagers who 'flip' garments as they see it as the only way to sustain their brand for the future, or replicate the success we've seen from the likes of Rick.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
          Can someone explain me why brands/designers would like to work with Grailed?

First Robert Geller, now Boris Bidjan Saberi (even though it is just his spokesperson giving an interview).

It's beyond me why they would like to work with a platform that is (as discussed profoundly on this forum) driving down prices and value of garments. I just can not see the benefit in this, even if it would just be for exposure and promotion purposes, I can not imagine they get anything back from the lowballing 40 year old's that tend to be outnumbered on the website.
          Link?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nvsnli
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Link?
            Buy, sell and discover authenticated pieces from top brands, spanning designer, vintage, streetwear and more. Shop men's and women's clothing on Grailed, the platform for personal style. Explore top listings from the community today.

Comment

• Arkady
              • Apr 2011

Have we seen conclusive and meaningful evidence that the secondhand market has driven retail sales down for brands like BBS? It's certainly driving intra-market prices for used product down, but I wonder if that really drags down the bottom line given the luxury pricing of BBS and the small runs of each garment. I'm probably missing something, but conspicuous consumption seems to still be driving new purchase at 80%+ of full retail.

I haven't seen this effect on high-end audiophile gear, which has many similarities in audience taste and willingness to shell out for artisanal goods. In a sense this was the original secondhand online market nearly two decades before Grailed -- adjusted for inflation, prices on this type of equipment have not fallen and the market has significantly expanded.

Just as 11 primes new entrants to Boris' luxury tier by targeting fuccbois, Grailed can provide a similar point of ingress.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Subscription services are fascinating and dumbfounding to me. I genuinely want to know how a person of any degree of fastidiousness or discrimination in taste would allow someone to send them a box of clothes or cosmetics every month?

There's a new way to sell to consumers online, subscriptions. This article discusses who the leaders are in that market, why they are succeeding and why it's anyone's guess right now about what will happen in that market.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

Well, apparently they are not all working: https://www.l2inc.com/daily-insights...nely-depressed

One I am subscribed to, albeit initially because it's run by a close friend of mine, is LOT http://www.lot2046.com

I think it's fascinating and feels mainly like an art project, everything is personalised and poetic. And BLACK. Very.

© 12/08/201722:37:06THE LAST HOUR, LLC (PERHAPS) FOR THE GOOD DEATH (CLEAR 63ºF)NEITHER
                  NOR SAFARINOR CAMDENNOR
                  NOR
                  NOR +1 628 444 9791 (GOOD WORKS)
                  PAYMENTS BY STRIPE
                  (JEREMIAH 29:11) 51.5457,-0.1403THANKS BYE
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• newp
                    • Feb 2013

Subscription services are fascinating and dumbfounding to me. I genuinely want to know how a person of any degree of fastidiousness or discrimination in taste would allow someone to send them a box of clothes or cosmetics every month?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richard.../#1b9efce56678
                    Cosmetics: you basically get a lot of testers, saving your time otherwise spent to research. Gifts/souvenirs/stationery/sweets: you always will have something fun and interesting. A lot of merchandise went to subscription basis, as very much popular Pusheen mascot. This idea feasts on people laziness and indecisiveness with a simultaneous desire to try something new, so instead of doing their own research and making a choice they just trust it to another person.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                      • May 2008

Laziness is definitely a factor, ie. when it comes to shaving products, etc. Hence the success of Cornerstone or DSC.
                      Sampling in cosmetics is a huge business, it's the best way to get people to try and buy more. Add to that the fact that most of the cosmetics industry is basically smoke and mirrors and no one really knows what they should have and whether it actually helps (skincare), combined with low production costs... potential goldmine and paradox of choice.
                      Clothes are for most people based on personal taste, even if everyone basically looks the same. Few subscribe to a uniform that you are happy to wear day in day out, but that's why I like LOT - it's like a little box of treasures, along with stuff you know you need, like underwear and socks.
                      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

I like the idea of LOT if viewed as an antinarcissism, which of course would also be a kind of narcissism. "Oh this? This is just what They sent me to wear/use/do. I don't particularly like it, but who cares?" as though to nullify that tedious side of social interaction or to at least make it something more honest. If only they included a carton of cigarettes and a bag of coffee beans.
                        bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• SafetyKat
                          • Aug 2014

If I'm correct, before the mass curated subscription box started picking up steam in different markets, it was mostly popular in the nerdy, collectible trinket, novelty toys, books etc.
                          For lack of a better analogy, I can consider many of the subscription services like a grown up version of a pack of pokemon cards or a way less nostalgic wonderball. Only difference now is that the child is now in their late 20's and popping open a hand packed box o' socks.

On the other hand, the subscription box spreading out to other markets, like full blown wardrobes, seems like a telltale sign of market saturation, or consumer apathy.

Comment

• SafetyKat
                            • Aug 2014

Well if whatever BOF AKA LVMBOF has to say lately, they'll have us believe that millennials are just clamoring for huge conglomerates to just rent their clothing out to them instead of buying.

Endgame baby XD
                            https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...rmance-economy

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SafetyKat View Post
                              Well if whatever BOF AKA LVMBOF has to say lately, they'll have us believe that millennials are just clamoring for huge conglomerates to just rent their clothing out to them instead of buying.

Endgame baby XD
                              https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...rmance-economy
                              I couldn't even get through this nonsense. She's also plugging her business right in the article? Jeez.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
                                • Jul 2013

Well, that section was set in italics, so I assumed it was intended as a disclosure for transparency. But "...the unrealistic mantra of more conscious ownership: buy less and cherish forever." was pretty bullshit, a folie en masse of consumerism.
                                bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎