X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickefuge
    • Nov 2014

Interesting:

"[…]a new limited-edition jacket from The North Face Japan uses something called “brewed protein” instead. It’s a material inspired by spider silk that is fermented in giant vats, the same way that breweries make beer."
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Nickefuge
      • Nov 2014

Here we go

Highsnobiety was one of a few publishers who invested in product creation for its commerce business, rather than just peppering its site with affiliate links.
      "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
      -Paris Hilton

Comment

• supercilious
        • Apr 2014

Has anyone seen good write ups on JPG's legacy- I finally took the time to look through his last couture show, and feel like I'm looking at a legacy before my time

Comment

• haydn
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by supercilious View Post
          Has anyone seen good write ups on JPG's legacy- I finally took the time to look through his last couture show, and feel like I'm looking at a legacy before my time
          There is so much out there - his work is incredibly well documented. I’d start here

Comment

• supercilious
            • Apr 2014

well yes... obviously
            I meant more like the type of stuff that we saw when lagerfeld passed
            Stories from his career, and so on

edit:
            Im alluding to the fact that Eugene has expressed his respect for gaultier, but we haven't seen a SZ response to his last bout a couture
            Last edited by supercilious; 04-07-2020, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Hmm, I don't know actually - there must be books, at least there has to be one that accompanied the touring exhibit some years back - which was AMAZING!
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by supercilious View Post
                well yes... obviously
                I meant more like the type of stuff that we saw when lagerfeld passed
                Stories from his career, and so on

edit:
                Im alluding to the fact that Eugene has expressed his respect for gaultier, but we haven't seen a SZ response to his last bout a couture

Its really haqrd to rank designers, but Id put Gaultuer as a top 5 designer of all time.
                I don't think a lot of people really know and understand the endurance, staying power and influence of JPG.

he started out at Cardin, and once said in an Article, that Cardin taught him something that redefined how he perceived Fashion.
                Cardin told him, "there is no reason, you cannot make a pair of shoes, from a piece of leather you just picked up off the ground". And that the only limits to his creativity is the ones he sets in his mind.
                Gaultier said that that made him set out to put as much ideas in a garment as he could and in a collection as he could because he realized the more he did, the more ideas he had. releasing his ideas, always brought new ones

There are a lot of things in Fashion today, that was either started or made popular by JPG. Gender bending androgyny with early collections with men in skirts etc. sailors etc. He himself wearing kilts etc
                The concept of high and low (which went back to Cardin) and was carried forward by people like MMM, who worked at Gaultier before launching his own label...….While we are at it, people like MMM and Slimane owe a significant portion of their success to JPG as he gave them a shot in Fashion. If I remember correctly Slimane worked at JPG before being hand picked by Pierre Berge to start the YSL Menswear in 00, which was gender bending, very feminine and was probably worn by more women that men.

There was a time when French Fashion, especially HAUTE COUTURE was incredibly elitist, When LVMH started its hiring spree in 96/97 Gaultier was passed over for both the Dior and Givenchy Job.
                Galliano did one season at Givenchy, and was moved to Dior to make way for McQueen at Givenchy. JPG was devastated. He felt disrespected that as a French designer the highest jobs were being given to Englishmen who didn't have the resume he did and he was being passed over not on talent but reputation as a trouble maker with poor taste.
                As I understand it, this had to do with some show he did that was called Eurotrash? and the establishment felt that rich women and their High spending Husbands didn't want to wear the work of a designer who was that low brow and tacky...…………….

It let to JPG starting his own Couture house, which gave us some of the greatest couture collections in Modern times outside of those by McQueen. there used to be a site called Firstview. I don't know if it still exist, but you used to be able to go there and see a lot of designer collections. they had a lot of JPG etc...…………...his work is incredible
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• DNHT
                  • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Hmm, I don't know actually - there must be books, at least there has to be one that accompanied the touring exhibit some years back - which was AMAZING!
                  There is indeed an amazing book that accompanied the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts show. It's called The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier, and you can pick it for a bargain on ebay. Whatever you pay, it's worth every penny. It's a slab of a book with fantastic photography throughout.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DNHT View Post
                    There is indeed an amazing book that accompanied the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts show. It's called The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier, and you can pick it for a bargain on ebay. Whatever you pay, it's worth every penny. It's a slab of a book with fantastic photography throughout.

Yes, that must be from the same exhibit, as it traveled in North America. Bought the book off eBay now!
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• haydn
                      • Feb 2013

Dior runway show was “crashed” by a protester yesterday.

Realize now that it’s a climate change activist logo, but for a minute thought you really upped your game Eugene.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Yeah, people have been sending me that logo for years now, lol.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎