X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endorphinz
    Banned
    • Jun 2009

who would have ever thunk that I would have used this gif??

Comment

• Uppvakningur
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
      Dressing is theater and pageantry, always. The only thing that changes is if your vocabulary is being dictated to you, because you're trying to dress up as Hatsune Miku or because you're unfortunate enough to have a dress code at work or because you just prostrate yourself before the aesthetic universe of your favorite designer or, worst of all, ur a scurred bitch who caves into peer pressure and treats fashion as a skill to grind to 99 and finish; or whether you build your own vocabulary by eating the aesthetic language of others, hiking up your dress, and defecating your own aesthetic universe.

Of the former category, I think I like cosplay more than any of the rest.
      I hate to make this point again. The presence of an audience does not turn everything into a spectacle. Dressing as something else with a lot of specificity is a pursuit not only divorced from the wearer's identity but directly counter to it. cosplay is an escape from identity, but it is not fair to say that getting dressed is always and only an act of dissociation with oneself.

Do you truly believe no direct relationship between a thing and its wearer is possible beyond its significance to a potential third party?

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

well no one with self awareness is ever without an audience of at least one, so I don't see the distinction

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Uppvakningur View Post
          I hate to make this point again. The presence of an audience does not turn everything into a spectacle. Dressing as something else with a lot of specificity is a pursuit not only divorced from the wearer's identity but directly counter to it. cosplay is an escape from identity,
          I'd say as much for the other scenarios I listed.

but it is not fair to say that getting dressed is always and only an act of dissociation with oneself.

Do you truly believe no direct relationship between a thing and its wearer is possible beyond its significance to a potential third party?
          I don't think I said that. I don't think it's necessary to be disassociated from self while engaging in social theatrics.

Comment

• DudleyGray
            • Jul 2013

By the way guys, I lied earlier, I love drugs. Fucking love them. I highly recommend them to anyone and everyone. They just make you feel so good.
            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• BrokenBoards
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
              By the way guys, I lied earlier, I love drugs. Fucking love them. I highly recommend them to anyone and everyone. They just make you feel so good.
              "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• interest1
                • Nov 2008

Back when I got my geo-b's, I wanted them not to look so nice & new.
                Now, 4 years later and looking like they've been hitchhiking through the streets of Calcutta,
                I want them to look nice & new again.

Pooh.
                sain't

Comment

• cloonz
                  • Aug 2011

Set alarm for 5:30 to buy a jacket off rakuten and they took it down before it went on sale. I guess they realized the price was too good.

Comment

• docus
                    • Dec 2010

DudleyGrey, I don't think you need to worry - your comment has sparked some discussion and that's a good thing. Whatever you say in life is liable to be taken and interpreted in all sorts of ways - you can't dictate what someone will make of it. You can always come back and clarify what you meant if need be :) Now, pass me the drugs please ;)

Comment

• endorphinz
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2009

narcotics have been systematically scapegoated and demonized

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by BrokenBoards View Post
                        An image macro of Austin Powers? Did I travel back in time 10 years, or are you that unwitty?

Originally posted by docus View Post
                        DudleyGrey, I don't think you need to worry - your comment has sparked some discussion and that's a good thing. Whatever you say in life is liable to be taken and interpreted in all sorts of ways - you can't dictate what someone will make of it. You can always come back and clarify what you meant if need be :) Now, pass me the drugs please ;)
                        Yeah, but the kind of discussion is important too. I'd rather spark a thoughtful one where people actually try and understand one another and gain perspective. Otherwise, no discussion at all might be better. Although, I wasn't really trying to spark a discussion so much as put up a random fashion thought to be looked at and maybe ignored.

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                        narcotics have been systematically scapegoated and demonized
                        All the better.

Comment

• BrokenBoards
                          • Jan 2014

An image macro of Austin Powers? Did I travel back in time 10 years, or are you that unwitty?
                          No no, plenty of wit here. The discussion has devolved to a comfortable point where image macros/memes, heavy sarcasm, and gifs are the only real ways anybody is communicating, so what harm is there in a little time travel.

While we're on the subject, can anybody compare traveling through time whilst wearing Boris vs. traveling through time whilst wearing MA+? Or is the general consensus that one will enjoy time travel equally, regardless of what he/she is wearing?
                          "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• interest1
                            • Nov 2008

At least it wasn't Johnny Depp.
                            sain't

Comment

• endorphinz
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009

Comment

• DudleyGray
                                • Jul 2013

Sure there are worse things.

Like trying to quit smoking. I figured out the other day that I spend $100+ per month on cigarettes. That is a new pair of geobaskets every year at retail, I wouldn't have to worry about messing with cobblers for sneakers again.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎