X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schemedream
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by newp View Post
    At least this encroachment is still less harmful than a Kanye etc. was.
    *knocked on wood*
    Whoa now. You might be a bit hasty on your assessment of how far memes and trends can go. This is only the beginning

Comment

• LotsaColours
      • Jan 2014

As I lurk around here more, and more, I'm increasingly more open to the idea of dressing completely in black, drapey clothing from the designers so loved around here, at the same time I feel sooooooo late to this. As I embrace this, I also feel I should start drinking coffee again, like those goth kids in South Park.

I've mentioned in the introduce your self thread, about being more into Margiela, and Lanvin, but seeing, and reading about the work that gets put into the clothes here, specifically Carol Christian Poell, Albert at Collateral Concepts, etc has really gotten me to appreciate this forum's aesthetic. That, and seeing actual people in real life, and the waywt thread dressed this way as well.. There's an older lady at one of the two hair salons I visit from time to time dressed in this forums dress code who I now feel the need to chat with as she washes my hair. I've got to ask her about her clothes now.

As for actually buying a few pieces, damn, this is gonna take a while, especially with the first thing on my list; CCP scar stitch jacket. There's this one picture from atelier of a blonde model wearing it that really seals the deal for me. It prob won't look as great on me with my baby face, but damn it looks so good. It will also probably be the most expensive, single garment purchase I make, ever.
      Last edited by LotsaColours; 03-08-2014, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by SHYE_POSER View Post
        As am I (joking). Didn't intend for it to read as a dig towards you, as it not.
        glad we're good.

(buuuut, since i can't ever not get the last word, i'd argue that it's only marginally more justified to discuss 'normcore' than it is to post saint laurent collections. they're both "pish"... hehe.. )

Comment

• VonApelSouce
          • Apr 2012

Seeing nine inch nails live last night was a great combination of excellent live music and fashion show. Finck the guitarist had a total of 6 outfits, Reznor had at least 3, Mariqueen Maandig looked incredible in something. It was also the first time I'd seen geobasket's outside a store in Perth, how excited.

I wish the published the set list, and the outfit list for each member after the show. Finck's hooded, sleeveless jacket is something I hunger for.

Comment

• blowdown
            • Feb 2011

havent looked at first hand BBS pricing for quite a while now...

actually got a shock when i look at the fcuking prices now.....

jeans are $1000 onwards? well they used to be 600-700,
            i must be fucking living in a cave

hand stitch pants made of w/e fabric p13hm, $2895......
            i mean i dont know how people justify their purchases anymore...
            how much more will the prices be inflated

am i going to see $1500 onwards for jeans from BBS in the new future?!

Comment

• zen dog
              • Jan 2014

zen dog

Whoa, I blinked and almost missed the normcore discussion. I read the posts and links and had a few ideas.
              "Normcore" already feels like something that is written about in mainstream media just to write- its not driven by anything deep. Space needs to be filled and at the entertainment level.

That said, I wonder if as much as trends like this are seen as part of the coming apocalypse that they are needed as contrasts to many of the aesthetics present in these forums. Don't they help make the blacks a bit blacker? Maybe there is a balance with many directions and the only problem is if one dominates to the point that some of the lines we love so much weren't able to be visible or exist at all.

I sense delight behind the outraged posts: passion and fun are still the order of the day.

Last thing, good to see some of the latest posts by people who have recently discovered the forums and brands. Nothing like new-found excitement and the financial sting of its pursuit.

Thank you, and I'll listen to your response off the air.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by VonApelSouce View Post
                Seeing nine inch nails live last night was a great combination of excellent live music and fashion show. Finck the guitarist had a total of 6 outfits, Reznor had at least 3, Mariqueen Maandig looked incredible in something. It was also the first time I'd seen geobasket's outside a store in Perth, how excited.

I wish the published the set list, and the outfit list for each member after the show. Finck's hooded, sleeveless jacket is something I hunger for.

I can't wait to see them in Antwerp and Paris in May
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by zen dog View Post
                  Whoa, I blinked and almost missed the normcore discussion. I read the posts and links and had a few ideas.
                  "Normcore" already feels like something that is written about in mainstream media just to write- its not driven by anything deep. Space needs to be filled and at the entertainment level.

That said, I wonder if as much as trends like this are seen as part of the coming apocalypse that they are needed as contrasts to many of the aesthetics present in these forums. Don't they help make the blacks a bit blacker? Maybe there is a balance with many directions and the only problem is if one dominates to the point that some of the lines we love so much weren't able to be visible or exist at all.

I sense delight behind the outraged posts: passion and fun are still the order of the day.

Last thing, good to see some of the latest posts by people who have recently discovered the forums and brands. Nothing like new-found excitement and the financial sting of its pursuit.

Thank you, and I'll listen to your response off the air.
                  BINGO. When B of F asked me to write an Op-Ed on normcore that's exactly what I told them. I talked to K-Hole and they confirmed they weren't writing about fashion at all.

Also, Normcore: Dazed eats its own words
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                    • Apr 2010

NORMCORE

Originally posted by Shucks
                    it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                    Originally posted by interest1
                    I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• newp
                      • Feb 2013

Honestly, I think the term 'normcore' could be applied to SZ aesthetics as well, probably more than any other fashion aesthetic. No, I don't mean "wearing shitty clothes ironically". A lot of garments we wear, especially artisanal ones, don't scream DESIGN from the first glance. I am talking about most of Devoa (not pagoda shoulders though), Individual Sentiments, LUC, a1923 and so on. These clothes look rather bland and simple to an untrained eye, the accent is made on quality and process of making, not on something outstanding and recognizable from a first glance of a lets-call-them normal persons. Can you find on a market or a military surplus a pair of boots which look like Augustas? Yes. Are they built like a tank, will they age beautifully with you for 10-15 years? Hell no.

Comment

• newp
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                        If you think SZwear is likely to pass without comment in most social circumstances, then you've been following a different WAYWT thread than I have.
                        Just a few examples:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/ed4365408...rqao1_1280.jpg (fascinate blog, just to excuse tumblr link)

There is a high chance my perspective is twisted enough so I consider this perfectly normal and acceptable really in most social circumstances even a normal person would think otherwise. It's hard for me to change the pov here. What do others think?

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

This norm crap seems to be these hipster kids attempting to dress as stereotypically pedestrian and generic as possible (regardless of what some trendcaster hacks apparently attempted to coin with it - see Daxed link above). They are putting effort into looking like a person who puts zero effort into how they dress, which is actually what some "ironic" hipsters at least around here have been doing for a long time.

What I think you are referring to is an understated and minimal style which doesn't necessarily stand out and can look very simple. but I don't think this has anything to do with the aforementioned. Maybe someone who doesn't care at all about style or fashion can look at one of these hipsters in mom jeans or someone wearing LUC and think both look boring (I guess this is what you mean?), but otherwise comparing the two seems kind of far fetched..
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• fncyths
                            • Apr 2010

I think you're over thinking it man. lowrey hit it head on. it's all irony...
                            Originally posted by Shucks
                            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                            Originally posted by interest1
                            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• IALAB
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2014

All these looks are pretty normal looking, and likely wouldn't catch many people by surprise.

Comment

• Dorje
                                • Oct 2013

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                                They are putting effort into looking like a person who puts zero effort into how they dress, which is actually what some "ironic" hipsters at least around here have been doing for a long time.
                                Exactly, nothing new really.

One dude at a certain coffee shop around here is perpetually in mid 80's OP corduroy short shorts and white CPs...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎