X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickandjulius
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
    What is the general consensus on here about things like Boris Bidjan Saberi 11 and commes des garcons play?

It seems like nothing more than a money grab to me, but i'm uneducated.
    I don't really understand why Boris felt the need to make 11 but it's awful in my opinion. CDG Play just seems like it was made for people to buy and say "look it's CDG, I own a designer piece!" much like when people say they own Raf Simons when all they have is Rafdidas. Play isn't inherently bad but it isn't good. DRKSHDW and MA_Julius and Silent, etc . . . are all great great "diffusion lines". Hell DRKSHDW and Silent could make it on their own. I know I enjoy Silent way more than Doma's mainline, while DRKSHDW offers cheaper alternatives to Rick's mainline while barely sacrificing quality.

Comment

• 550BC
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by rickandjulius View Post
      I don't really understand why Boris felt the need to make 11 but it's awful in my opinion. CDG Play just seems like it was made for people to buy and say "look it's CDG, I own a designer piece!" much like when people say they own Raf Simons when all they have is Rafdidas. Play isn't inherently bad but it isn't good. DRKSHDW and MA_Julius and Silent, etc . . . are all great great "diffusion lines". Hell DRKSHDW and Silent could make it on their own. I know I enjoy Silent way more than Doma's mainline, while DRKSHDW offers cheaper alternatives to Rick's mainline while barely sacrificing quality.
      I can give you a long story about why 11, but not necessary now. If you understand his background and the background of his team/close friends, you will understand 11, but thats not necessary, 11 is street culture, if you understand that you must respect 11.
      a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
        I can give you a long story about why 11, but not necessary now. If you understand his background and the background of his team/close friends, you will understand 11, but thats not necessary, 11 is street culture, if you understand that you must respect 11.

no.

5char

Comment

• 550BC
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
          no.

5char
          I do not own 11 nor do I want to buy it, but I can relate to the philosophy behind 11 and respect that.
          a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

no.

5char
            You are way too quick to dismiss it. Do you remember Rick's first denim line, SLAB? I do, and it wasn't good. 11 is getting better. I also cringed when Boris announced it, and most of it is still not very good, but it's only been three seasons. In the first season there was one excellent piece - a waterproof parka akin to what Arcteryx Vellience makes, but better. In the season that's coming, this piece we shot, the faux shearling sleeveless hooded vest, I want for myself. A perfect piece to layer over leather. If Rick did it, you'd be pissing your pants.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• macutay
              • Jun 2013

Beautiful piece.

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                You are way too quick to dismiss it. Do you remember Rick's first denim line, SLAB? I do, and it wasn't good. 11 is getting better. I also cringed when Boris announced it, and most of it is still not very good, but it's only been three seasons. In the first season there was one excellent piece - a waterproof parka akin to what Arcteryx Vellience makes, but better. In the season that's coming, this piece we shot, the faux shearling sleeveless hooded vest, I want for myself. A perfect piece to layer over leather. If Rick did it, you'd be pissing your pants.
                yes.

5char

Comment

• rickandjulius
                  • Feb 2014

I understand the reason behind it and his fascination with numerology and what not. I just don't understand why he designed it the way he did.

http://www.antonioli.eu/en/men/produ...t#.U2LE9_ldUw8

I love Boris' mainline and own 2 pieces but 11 is awful in my eyes.

Comment

• 550BC
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by rickandjulius View Post
                    I understand the reason behind it and his fascination with numerology and what not. I just don't understand why he designed it the way he did.

http://www.antonioli.eu/en/men/produ...t#.U2LE9_ldUw8

I love Boris' mainline and own 2 pieces but 11 is awful in my eyes.
                    Creative Director of 11 is not Boris, it's Israel Frutos, 11 is another team as the team that works on the mainline mostly, from my own experience Israel is very into street culture and an extreme lifestyle same as Boris but different, more urbanism,mass street style but still being distinctive. inspired by people like Alex Fakso http://www.fakso.com and street art etc, hence the printed textures,and camo print for current season and upcoming season.

I dislike the hoodie in the link as well, so I agree on that.

p.s. You will love the texture hand painted pockets on the jeans they will release on FW14 from my experience in the showroom last time in Paris.

photo from their instagram

And Faust well said
                    a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

yes.

5char
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ahn
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                        I see your perspective, but being "genuine" seems a difficult thing - if a design decision takes away from comfort/performance as an actual shoe/garment, can it still be genuine? The problem isn't always deriving from laziness or from a lack of knowledge, just from priorities being other than shoemaking/tailoring/and c.
                        Yes this is an excellent point. I think it CAN still genuine, but as you've said - it is from priorities other than functionality. But I feel that it should be explicit in it's presentation that the object is not designed as an object for wear, but as an artistic expression. Such as Sruli Recht's sharkskin gloves A First Impression vs. A Lasting Impression. Which is absolutely fine, because it is made clear that the latter is not designed with the same intention. And had I the finances, I would absolutely adore to own a pair. Never to wear, simply to admire as art, because they excite me.

It is different in this instance to jewellery as art because the materials to create jewellery are as precious in their raw form as they are manipulated into a finished object. Jewellery as art has an inherent value regardless of it's functionality. You would have to do a lot less explaining than if you bought a glove simply to admire the artists' intentions.

Still, we can agree that gloves can be art. And so a shoe can be art. But if a shoe is meant to be a shoe, and cannot perform as a shoe, well, it's just poor design. As a woman I have frequently subjected myself to wearing beautiful and uncomfortable shoes. But ultimately they always sit gathering dust in the end. The function cannot be fulfilled.

Doesn't stop me from buying beautiful and uncomfortable shoes though.
                        some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• rickandjulius
                          • Feb 2014

Creative Director of 11 is not Boris, it's Israel Frutos, 11 is another team as the team that works on the mainline mostly, from my own experience Israel is very into street culture and an extreme lifestyle same as Boris but different, more urbanism,mass street style but still being distinctive. inspired by people like Alex Fakso http://www.fakso.com and street art etc, hence the printed textures,and camo print for current season and upcoming season.
                          Ahh my mistake! I suppose I should've done some research before making that statement. That makes much more sense as to why it's styled the way it is, but regardless, I am not a fan.

Comment

• LOVE
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Do you remember Rick's first denim line, SLAB? I do, and it wasn't good.
                            what's the deal with SLAB anyway? produced in portugal pre-2004 i guess? the clothing designs and even stuff like the tags looks nothing like the owens i know and love.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

No deal worth talking about, since the line came and went. Chuck it up to a bad experiment.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                                Vegan Police
                                • Sep 2011

So what I've been seeing a lot recently, especially at FIT, is girls wearing that choker thing from the 90's.

Does anyone know how this trend got resurrected? You used to be able to get these things in gumball machines...
                                StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎