X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DudleyGray
    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
    head to toe in a specific designer creates a better silhouette and synergy between each piece and keeps the balance to let all items be equal. I sometimes wear basic H&M T-Shirts and it can work, but it looks very weak compared to the leather on top or the trousers etc. there is no balance...
    I guess it depends on what you wear and the pieces you're picking. I think something like Undercover or Julius actually has a strong synergy with punk/industrial/metal clothes. Like showing that you actually live the life that they are drawing inspiration from, it even adds credibility to the references those designers make. But trying to incorporate this stuff into a Menswear Basics 101 would definitely fall flat.

I see potential for showing both individual personality and highlighting qualities of a loved piece with the 1-designer piece route, at least for my wardrobe.
    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• apathy!
      • Jan 2014

Basically I agree with 550BC. Strong designer pieces usually look strange and out of place when put in the context of conventional stuff.

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
      I guess it depends on what you wear and the pieces you're picking. I think something like Undercover or Julius actually has a strong synergy with punk/industrial/metal clothes. Like showing that you actually live the life that they are drawing inspiration from, it even adds credibility to the references those designers make. But trying to incorporate this stuff into a Menswear Basics 101 would definitely fall flat.

I see potential for showing both individual personality and highlighting qualities of a loved piece with the 1-designer piece route, at least for my wardrobe.
      Is anyone who lives that kind of lifestyle going to be spending hundreds of dollars on a tee shirt with an anti-establishment slogan on it?

Comment

• DudleyGray
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
        Basically I agree with 550BC. Strong designer pieces usually look strange and out of place when put in the context of conventional stuff.

Is anyone who lives that kind of lifestyle going to be spending hundreds of dollars on a tee shirt with an anti-establishment slogan on it?
        Ok maybe lived past tense would fit more people. But to combine something like an old "this is not a fugazi t-shirt" with some uc/Julius destroyed jeans and combat boots, I would love to see that more than pod shorts unstable tee geos any day.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
          • Apr 2014

Maybe some of the more mainstream musicians who can afford such things, but for the most part, nope. Heidi Slimane has people that truly lives a certain lifestyle for his shows, and some of them (if not all) didn't know jack shit about fashion before he offered them god knows what kinda drugs for his presentations. In the end however, it is all a fantasy, it's not authentic.

Comment

• apathy!
            • Jan 2014

yeah that's what I was implying.

Comment

• messenoire
              • Nov 2009

is rick nearly a sneaker brand now? i dont know if in the history of rick did i think that he sells more sneakers than clothes at this point.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                • Apr 2014

Jackets sell just as well if not better than his sneakers. Who knows, with the collaboration he's got going with Adidas, maybe that's the future.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

RO track suits FTW
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• yack
                    • May 2011

Ok maybe lived past tense would fit more people. But to combine something like an old "this is not a fugazi t-shirt" with some uc/Julius destroyed jeans and combat boots, I would love to see that more than pod shorts unstable tee geos any day.
                    Completely agree, but it seems like there's a select handful of fashionable go-to bands or whatever, Swans, Joy Division, you keep seeing in people's fit pics. But perhaps that just says something more about the kind of people who take & post their fit pics for others to see.

Originally posted by BlacknWhite View Post
                    Maybe some of the more mainstream musicians who can afford such things, but for the most part, nope. Heidi Slimane has people that truly lives a certain lifestyle for his shows, and some of them (if not all) didn't know jack shit about fashion before he offered them god knows what kinda drugs for his presentations. In the end however, it is all a fantasy, it's not authentic.
                    Can we finally retire authenticity along with the concept of identity?
                    Last edited by yack; 08-02-2014, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• apathy!
                      • Jan 2014

I'm not trying to attack you or anything but I can't really see where you're coming from.

To me the Rick summer uniform is much more interesting to look at than someone dressing up as a sub-culture.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

I'm not trying to attack you or anything but I can't really see where you're coming from.

To me the Rick summer uniform is much more interesting to look at than someone dressing up as a sub-culture.
                        Not much to see, I just love or loved music more than anything in the world. I like both looks though, I'm not sure if I actually have a preference.

Although, I see an irony in saying "dressing up as a subculture," but to call the fit a Rick summer uniform.
                        Last edited by DudleyGray; 08-02-2014, 05:35 AM.

Comment

• nicelynice
                          • Oct 2009

Need to invest in more black socks. If it rains, the dye soaks through to my feet

Comment

• messenoire
                            • Nov 2009

i wonder how many of us plan to wear yohji when we're older and more "ready" for yohji? i read in another thread the same sentiment and i carry it as well. yohji will be the uniform when i'm settled into life.

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

I wore Guidi's during monsoon season in Singapore, you can imagine what my feet looked like..

Comment

• DudleyGray
                                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
                                i wonder how many of us plan to wear yohji when we're older and more "ready" for yohji? i read in another thread the same sentiment and i carry it as well. yohji will be the uniform when i'm settled into life.
                                Hahaha this is me as well, whenever they stop carding me, in fact. But Yohji is bound to retire at some point and hand off the reigns. Vintage and future vintage Yohji pieces might be a good investment now while they are plentiful.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎