Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the breaks
    • Sep 2007

Oh no! Not his full name?? Imagine the damage you can do with that!
    Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• volta
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Good karma, if you will.
      nope, it's the opposite. act nice and you will be taken advantage even further by all these fucking vultures and their facade.

i'm all for making $$$$ thanks to idiots, lately, it improves my life substantially instead of being "nice" or any "karma" or good "fortune" (AKA bullshit). no one would care if you ended in a ditch dirt-poor. he didn't force anyone to buy any totes -- a good deal makes two winners after all.

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
      Oh no! Not his full name?? Imagine the damage you can do with that!
      this too. privacy on the internet? especially when you attention whore yourself on twitter and facebook?

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

Ayn Rand much?

Originally posted by volta View Post
        nope, it's the opposite. act nice and you will be taken advantage even further by all these fucking vultures and their facade.

i'm all for making $$$$ thanks to idiots, lately, it improves my life substantially instead of being "nice" or any "karma" or good "fortune" (AKA bullshit). no one would care if you ended in a ditch dirt-poor. he didn't force anyone to buy any totes -- a good deal makes two winners after all.

this too. privacy on the internet? especially when you attention whore yourself on twitter and facebook?
        music

Comment

• mikko
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by casem View Post
          Ayn Rand much?
          More like Old Ayn Rand on social security trying to make a buck?

I also send out garment bags with all sales if they came with them but don't see the harm in selling unneeded ones off for a nominal price. At least here in Finland overseas shipping pricing is so ridiculous I'd charge at least something to cover those prices.

And all respect to [REAL NAME WITHHELD] the Facebook group is appreciated but I don't think I've sold many things through that as there are mostly lowballing teens riding the Dick Wave on there.

Comment

• volta
            • May 2009

Originally posted by mikko View Post
            there are mostly lowballing teens riding the Dick Wave on there.
            that is the crux of the "issue".

they're not called the entitled generation for nothing, thinking they are owed everything for free by bitching on twitter or facebook.. or when they don't get what they want.. bitch on facebook and twitter. completely lose their head when it comes to pricing and basic economics. the feeling of entitlement apparently trumps all basic facts.

yes, i'm aware similar things are said pretty much about every generation. this time is truly different, coddled, "everyone is a winner/deserves a trophy"-society. make that more evident and obnoxious with social media.. having your own soapbox, of the belief that your opinions matter the most through the sea of junk data.. are memories passed on genetically? should they be? same with the digital sphere, no need to pass on trash.

there are things not covered by genetic information. human memories, ideas, culture, history. genes don't contain any record of human history. is it something that should not be passed on? should that information be left at the mercy of nature? we've always kept records of our lives. through words, pictures, symbols... from tablets to books... but not all the information was inherited by later generations. a small percentage of the whole was selected and processed, then passed on. not unlike genes, really.

that's what history is, but in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. never fading, always accessible. rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... all this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. it will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution.

it's not a plan of censorship or to control content, but to create context. the digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards the development of convenient half-truths. just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around us.

- billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans.
            - rights of criminals are given more respect than the privacy of their victims.
            - although there are people suffering in poverty, huge donations are made to protect endangered species.

everyone grows up being told the same thing. "be nice to other people, but beat out the competition!" "you're special." "believe in yourself and you will succeed." but it's obvious from the start that only a few can succeed... we exercise our right to "freedom" and this is the result. all rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. the untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems. everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum. they stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.

the different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. no one is invalidated, but nobody is right. not even natural selection can take place here. the world is being engulfed in "truth." and this is the way the world ends. not with a bang, but a whimper. it's our responsibility to just as in genetics, unnecessary information and memory must be filtered out to stimulate evolution.

who is qualified to decide what's necessary and not? the answer is artifical intelligence. who else could wade through the sea of garbage we people produce, retrieve valuable truths and even interpret their meaning for later generations? that's what it means to create context.

is that even our own idea? that's the proof of incompetence, right there. we lack the qualifications to exercise free will. does something like a "self" exist inside of us? that which we call "self" serves as nothing more than a mask to cover our own being. in this era of ready-made 'truths', "self" is just something used to preserve those positive emotions that we occasionally feel...

another possibility is that "self" is a concept we conveniently borrowed under the logic that it would endow us with some sense of strength... "you're simply the best! and you got there all by yourself!" ironic that although "self" is something that we ourselves fashioned, every time something goes wrong, we turn around and place the blame on something else. in denial, we simply resort to looking for another, more convenient "truth" in order to make ourselves feel better, leaving behind in an instant the so-called "truth" that was once embraced.

should someone like that be able to decide what is "truth"? should someone like that even have the right to decide? we've done nothing but abuse our freedom. we don't deserve to be free.

tl;dr - implement an AI to cleanse unnecessary data. the age of digitized communication has given even more power to the individual. too much power for an immature species. this is an issue, complaining about dick ovens totebags through the digital world is not..
            Last edited by volta; 12-18-2014, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• galia
              • Jun 2009

Spoken like a true transhumanist !

Comment

• volta
                • May 2009

absolutely not. "you"/"we".. it's nitpicking the language used. whatever, let's go back to bitching about totebags on facebook.

[edited nonetheless..]

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

The very fact of calling humanity "an immature species" is bullshit. It suggest a maturation process, which sugests the idea of an overall linear progression for the species as a whole (kind of like what the word "evolution" implies taken in a pop-darwinian sense). This is patently bullshit, as humanity goes through waves of being better in some regards and worse in some regards depending on time and place. Currently, our reliance on technology is what is making us globally worse human beings, because, just as tools are becoming more effective, humans are losing an increasing number of abilities they used to have, and which have become "useless" because the machine can do it.

Which is why I think your A.I. solution smells of transhumanism. I think we need overall less technology, not more, if we are to reclaim our humanity (decency, creativity, work ethic, dignity, satisfaction, etc.)

Unless you were joking, I can't always tell

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Galia, and others, I don't know why you are engaging someone who is clearly a psychopath.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• neongud
                      • Mar 2013

To continue with the totebag discussion, just received two Boris totes (for free) from a guy on sufu, as thanks for helping him track down a Boris leather he wanted. Nice gesture.

Comment

• bukka
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Galia, and others, I don't know why you are engaging someone who is clearly a psychopath.
                        Exactly my thoughts. This dude is entertaining in his own way but com'on, why would you try to answer rationally to all this crap
                        Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• unwashed
                          • Dec 2008

Received a free totebag from LNCC yesterday, yay for me.
                          Anyone wanna buy?
                          Grailed link

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

I don't know he annoyed me. I should just have let it go I suppose

Comment

• delicious_not
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                              Do you want to look like that in other situations then?

(edit: the following is general pondering and not specifically directed at you)

There is a difference between tweaking what you wear according to different situations, and playing dress up one minute and not the other. You should dress in what you feel comfortable with and that doesn't need a complete overhaul aesthetic-wise because you go from one place to another. Having your own style means being able to say "this looks like me" even if you are dressing for the occasion, and whether you are buying cat food or going to a business meeting.

But the original question was about wearing RO daily, I actually think its one of the most versatile labels there is, at least if you count in drkshdw. You can wear Rick and be in sweatpants and a hoody, jeans and a t-shirt, leather, a suit or some wizard ninja spaceman steez.
                              good thing you're mentioned drkshdw - you could be dressed in drkshdw head to toe and feel super comfy and look "fuck you" and "i don't care" and most people won't probably get what you're wearing but at least they won't think of you like you're a wizard who just walked out of the time portal to buy some food.

but it's so easy with mainline rick to look like a member of some sect or a wizard or an alien 3rd gender creature or whatever. because the statement you make wearing extreme rick is always THAT strong - that's what makes these clothes so special. but it's too much for an everyday life. i don't mean they can't be worn outside of the runway show - but if you wear something that special, you should... plan your schedule. don't know how to put it better.

this may sound too pretentious or plain stupid, but anyway: if you're about to hit some art museum with you girl who dressed the same way and then you'll be eating at a fancy restaurant, then it's okay to wear anything - you'll look like some rich weirdo who can do whatever the fuck he wants. add an expensive car and the picture is perfect - 99% of the people will be jealous. you'll definitely stand out - but in a good, complex way.

and then imagine a dude in a rick dress walking into Walmart or something and asking a consultant "where can i find a toothbrush?" and he's like "this way, please". that's like some bad joke. poor dude will be looking for a hidden camera for the rest of the day.

also, the worst part is that the "luxe" aspect won't be seen by most of the people. i mean, who cares if your balaclava made of cashmere? you'll look like you're about to rob the place, the security most probably be watching you all the time and people will give you looks.

Comment

• kindersurprise
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by delicious_not View Post
                                also, the worst part is that the "luxe" aspect won't be seen by most of the people. i mean, who cares if your balaclava made of cashmere? you'll look like you're about to rob the place, the security most probably be watching you all the time and people will give you looks.
                                I know right. People won't know how much your clothes cost and can't use that information to infer you're better than them. I think your problem with Rick stems from your own anxiety about how others are perceiving you rather than any inherent aspect of the clothing, for the most part. That, or from your desire to want your clothing to make 99% of people jealous. There are probably dozens of better choices you could make if that's what you want to achieve.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎