Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahn
    • Jul 2012

Well as far as the conversation of "limiting myself to only black"... I wouldn't really consider that statement to be accurate for me.

I find that wearing colour has the opposite effect on me than it does to most people. Usually wearing bright colour elates people and black can feel stifling or dreary. When I wear black it feels natural and soothing; the more I wear black the more anxious bright colours make me feel. I only really feel comfortable to wear colour in the form of lipstick and then even so it is sparingly.

I don't think I own enough clothes at this stage to really experiment with texture and proportion fully. I'm just acutely aware of what feels 'right' on me.
    some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I don't know, wearing black makes me really happy!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Monoral
        • Mar 2014

^

Agree

I always felt insecure when im not wearing black

Comment

• eleves
          • Sep 2012

The past few posts are very true. I used to be completely against wearing black a few years ago but a gradual shift into wearing mostly black just felt natural and right once I made that move. I definitely feel quite a bit calmer when I have a black driven outfit. I have tried to reincorporate some color into my wardrobe (mostly because of the need to be business casual at times) but it's definitely limited to navy blue, or some sort of monochrome whether it be whatever earth/dust/grey tones a designer wants to play with or some sort of off white/white once in a while. I do like seeing some greens and darker reds nowadays though but I don't see myself putting that on for a while.
          Originally posted by Faust
          HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• DudleyGray
            • Jul 2013

When I die, I hope it's F/W so that I can have a stylish funeral.
            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
              To put the focus on everything else that goes into styling: fit, proportion, fabrication, drape, silhouette, accessories, mood, personalized details, etc. I always assumed this was the main reason fashion people dressed in black, aside from the dark cool mysterious poetic whatever factor.
              yes, but for me even more generally: sticking to one thing frees up more time for more important decisions than 'which brand goes with which' or 'which color is my mood today'. i waste too much time on this kind of stuff already to complicate it even further.
              Last edited by Shucks; 02-10-2015, 09:59 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ Exactly. I hate fussiness. Much ado about nothing. One of the reasons I detest "fashion people" is because they are so tedious.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rickandjulius
                  • Feb 2014

I may be misinterpreting you but are we not all "fashion people" on this forum? At least to some extent.

Comment

• eleves
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by rickandjulius View Post
                    I may be misinterpreting you but are we not all "fashion people" on this forum? At least to some extent.
                    I think most of us here might be far and away from the "fashion people" of lore. I mean, I get it, to some extent we are all fashion enthusiasts, students of a certain style but I don't consider us to be the fashion people that I picture running around Lincoln Center or the people you commonly see at Pitti during past fashion weeks. We stalk the streets in silence!
                    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• guardimp
                      • Jun 2010

What about all the fashion people at the fashion shows of many of the designers here - are they somehow different then the posters here who happen to go to the same fashion shows?

Comment

• eleves
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by guardimp View Post
                        What about all the fashion people at the fashion shows of many of the designers here - are they somehow different then the posters here who happen to go to the same fashion shows?
                        I definitely look at fashion people through a certain scope and perhaps an even distorted/skewed way. Those whom I consider fashion people are the ones that Jimmy Kimmel tries to talk to on Liewitness News during Fashion Week. I wasn't trying to specifically talk about the people going to shows in general but the ones who are the clear standouts, who call themselves fashion people and make sure that everyone knows it. Even with the rise of "avant garde" or "dark" fashion in the mainstream fashion world, you can still see many differences between the posters here and those other fashion people. I don't get the loud in your face vibes or the I'm more fashionable than you glares from anyone here, there is always lots of knowledge being passed around on this site in a cool, calm way. When I think of my generalization of fashion people, I picture the ones who have to be more fashionable than anyone else around, the people who literally spend 2 hours of their day building an outfit. There's a lot of fuss going into this imagined fashion hierarchy by these fashion people. It's obviously all relative, anyone can be a fashion person in someone else's eyes and I guess in the end it really doesn't matter as long as you're happy at the end of the day but if you're someone who is putting actual mental strain on yourself because you have to put that much thought into what you're wearing because you're "fashionable" then I feel sorry for that person. It kinda just removes real passion, and makes things a chore for no reason

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rickandjulius View Post
                          No. Long story, and eleves touches on some of it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• croatoan
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            /\ Exactly. I hate fussiness. Much ado about nothing. One of the reasons I detest "fashion people" is because they are so tedious.
                            I agree completely. I'm glad that I have settled down comfortably with what I like to wear daily for my personal needs. It makes life so much easier. I do wish I had the finances to replace many of the pieces I wear daily as most things are 5+ years old but I know whenever I have the opportunity I would just buy basically the exact same things again.

Comment

• hausofblaq
                              • Oct 2014

I think Faust talks about "fashion people" as what you see in the Devil Wears Prada. People who divulge in what's trendy, what colours are in this season, what colours were "so last season", or "it's already been done" kind of nonsense.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

I cringe every time i hear (or read) the term "SZ Brands"
                                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎