X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    No. Long story, and eleves touches on some of it.
    You (not Faust, btw, anyone who holds that opinion) can define away fashion people all you want to "those people" whose relationship to fashion you don't like but:

a) The average person looking at the average SZer sees a fashion person
    b) If you post on a board about fashion you're probably a fashion person, you're int o fashion. Maybe black fashion instead of pink fashion but there are many styles in fashunz.
    3) If you work in fashion do you really need to ask.

I think the newest piece I'm wearing today is 2-3 yrs old while my jeans are old APCs from 2004. I'm not less into fashion because of that.
    Last edited by Fuuma; 02-10-2015, 12:34 PM.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
      I cringe every time i hear (or read) the term "SZ Brands"
      i understand. but if you were asked the question "what are some SZ brands?" i am sure a list would instantly pop into your mind. whether you want it to or not.
      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
        i understand. but if you were asked the question "what are some SZ brands?" i am sure a list would instantly pop into your mind. whether you want it to or not.
        -Rick Owens
        -BBS
        -CCP
        -MA+
        -Guidi
        -P. Harnden

Would be quite obvious to everyone, I think. You can add about 10 relatively obvious ones and you've covered 95% of what is posted...

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
          Yes an k(no)w.....

Indeed i understand what people mean when they say this, but i really things its bad terminology. it narrows the scope of the designers work and audience and it also narrows the scope of SZ

take for example, we wouldn't call Thom Browne or GBS an SZ Brand but I think they best represent at the moment what i think SZ is and should be about.
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
            You (not Faust, btw, anyone who holds that opinion) can define away fashion people all you want to "those people" whose relationship to fashion you don't like but:

b) If you post on a board about fashion you're probably a fashion person, you're int o fashion. Maybe black fashion instead of pink fashion but there are many styles in fashunz.

I think the newest piece I'm wearing today is 2-3 yrs old while my jeans are old APCs from 2004. I'm not less into fashion because of that.
            Sure, but why you are into fashion is exactly the point.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

Yes an k(no)w.....

Indeed i understand what people mean when they say this, but i really things its bad terminology. it narrows the scope of the designers work and audience and it also narrows the scope of SZ

take for example, we wouldn't call Thom Browne or GBS an SZ Brand but I think they best represent at the moment what i think SZ is and should be about.
              I have several Thom Browne suits and jackets but I would believe he is rather marginal on SZ. GBS would fit but he's not widely worn either, your brand would be in the 10 others. I'm just talking about being discussed&worn&within the (wide) zone covered by the aesthetic.

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

-Rick Owens
                -BBS
                -CCP
                -MA+
                -Guidi
                -P. Harnden

Would be quite obvious to everyone, I think. You can add about 10 relatively obvious ones and you've covered 95% of what is posted...

Yes agreed, but what makes a brand like Paul Harnden an SZ brand when compared to a bran like BBS which is so very different in his approach and output?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Yes agreed, but what makes a brand like Paul Harnden an SZ brand when compared to a bran like BBS which is so very different in his approach and output?
                  Mike Nouveau
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

I have several Thom Browne suits and jackets but I would believe he is rather marginal on SZ. GBS would fit but he's not widely worn either, your brand would be in the 10 others. I'm just talking about being discussed&worn&within the (wide) zone covered by the aesthetic.
                    agreed but this is exactly my problem with the terminology.......wht does it really mean?

an since its so loosely used it both misrepresents SZ as a forum/ fashion community/ moment in the same manner that it misrepresents the work of these designers/ brands

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Sure, but why you are into fashion is exactly the point.
                      Rick is a fashion designer because he's just a queen who likes to make dresses.

I just like nice clothing/collections and new things from time to time. I'm ok with designers and various fashion-related professions having higher motives but for consumers? White girl Kaithlin and her pink H&M dress isn't inherently less noble than Clyde "prince of darkness" Wilson and his horse ass Poell boots.

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Mike Nouveau

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                          • Jul 2013

Yes an k(no)w.....

I'd still think of GBS as an "SZ" brand if brands like Paul Harnden, Elena Dawson, and (perhaps) Bergfabel were mentioned. They all have that (on the surface level) sort of old peasant-y arte povera thing going on. Maybe that's not their collective ethos, but still.

Others have mentioned user "hype evolution" going from Rick Owens to Carol Christian Poell to Paul Harnden. Each has their sort of look with branching and similar brands.

Rick goes to Julius, for instance. CCP and BBS are quite similar. Of course nothing quite simply fits into the "map" very well.

Another thing is that a lot of the "SZ" brands are only thought of when looking at the WAYWT. Otherwise, people would see that more than a couple people admire TB.

Lanvin would probably be one of the brands nobody would think of.

Comment

• eleves
                            • Sep 2012

For me, I definitely look at "fashion people" as a very strict generalization and thus I meant it strictly from my personal viewpoint and what I thought Faust might be touching on. I have no hate towards anyone who thinks they are a fashion master and thus more fashionable than anyone else into fashion. If you want, anyone can put fashion people to the definition of any person relating to fashion in any way but that is definitely not the way I was using it. Of course, any of us can be "fashion people" to anyone else looking in, but I don't think that the majority of the people on this site fit what my "fashion person" is. Your points are correct of course but what we are determining as "fashion people" are two different things so our points don't clash at all. I am of course a fashion enthusiast, I work in the industry as well but I do not consider myself an expert on fashion in general, I do not consider myself more fashionable than anyone else. I work in the corporate office of one of the major NYC department stores and I am surrounded by many people whom I consider "fashion people" and since I've been here, I'm the one person I've seen wearing anything directly related to the aesthetic that we appreciate on this site. So maybe I am someone else's definition of "fashion person" but I don't think that the majority of people here fit into the scope of what I personally consider "fashion people".
                            Originally posted by Faust
                            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Rick is a fashion designer because he's just a queen who likes to make dresses.

I just like nice clothing/collections and new things from time to time. I'm ok with designers and various fashion-related professions having higher motives but for consumers? White girl Kaithlin and her pink H&M dress isn't inherently less noble than Clyde "prince of darkness" Wilson and his horse ass Poell boots.
                              Maybe, though of course this is hyperbolic and reductive. Still, he comes from a certain cultural background which reflects in his work. As opposed to say Tory Burch, who, to use Fuuma's lexicon, is just a rich cunt who decided to make ballet flats.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

i wish i was a rich cunt
                                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎